Please help with 1622 Baptism document..

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Please help with 1622 Baptism document..

Post by JamesBianco »

Hello all, I am trying to establish the parentage of my ancestress Giacoma , wife of Paolo Pistone of Carini Sicily. I have located the baptisms of all her children spanning 1616-1631. In two of them is listed as godmother a woman named Giacoma Pizzo. The most interesting of all is that is was for the couple's second daughter, which usually the honor is bestowed upon the maternal grandmother. I am trying to decifer the relationship listed on the other baptism. It calls Giacoma La Lomari. Is that midwife? If so, would it be unusual for a woman to deliver her own grandchild? If you notice two baptisms above her is another where she is listed as MaMana..I just assume thats midwife but if not...HELP! I attach the image. My ancestor is the Giovanna Pisano, daughter of Paolo and Giacoma. Thanks a lot!

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Please help with 1622 Baptism document..

Post by mfjp »

Giacoma La Lomari. Is that midwife?
Giacoma La comari :?:...comare: godmother
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Thanks Maria! I didn't know that. Now what do you suppose Mamana is? Thats what they call Giacoma Pizzo two records before in the Lo Picciolo Baptism.

Jim :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JamesBianco wrote:Thanks Maria! I didn't know that. Now what do you suppose Mamana is? Thats what they call Giacoma Pizzo two records before in the Lo Picciolo Baptism.

Jim :)
Giacoma Pizo( with 1 z are wrote) is the Mamana( ancient word, currently dialectal word)= profession= midwife
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

where are Giacoma la Comare...? I read an Giacoma Sangodini ... are this?

I read( 1 and 2 baptism act):
1-Vincenza Lo Picciolo figlia di Sebastiano e Rosa Lo Picciolo Ing. fu battezzata in casa ab urgentem necessitatem per Giacoma Pizo, Mamana, et fu portata in Chiesa et li foro assuptite le ceremonie del battesimo per D. (don) Stefano RENDA cappuccino liteneti* e Gasparo di Martino et Antonia Zito.

2-Giacoma Sangodini(O Sargodini) figlia di M.no Vincenzo e Maria Sangodini in Ingto fu battezzata in questa chiesa da Antonio Rottino cappuccino liteneti* Marc'Antoni et Vincenza Iavagose(??hard reading)

*liteneti= lo tenne a battesimo= godfather and godmother;
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Thank you so much Suanj! :D The Giacoma Pisano, figlia Paolo and Giacoma baptism has Giacoma Pizo as La Comari. (the last baptism)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JamesBianco wrote:Thank you so much Suanj! :D The Giacoma Pisano, figlia Paolo and Giacoma baptism has Giacoma Pizo as La Comari. (the last baptism)
ah, the 3°: Gioanna(Giovanna) Pisano figlia di Paulo e Giacoma Pisano Ingti*( *I think is ancient and short shape of coniugati) fu battezzata in questa ecclesia(chiesa) per D.(Don) Antonio Rottino cappuccino, la comare (godmother) Gicoma(Giacoma) Pizo.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Well then my question is answered. Suanj and Maria thank you so much!