am I Italian?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
carolamar2002

am I Italian?

Post by carolamar2002 »

I was born in Holland and my Italian father Armando Costantini is listed as my birth father. He was born and raised in Italy. I am now I am Canadian. Do I have right to Italian citizenship?
Also, how can I find a birth certificate for my father, I think he was born in Cremona, May 8th, 1939 but I am not a 100 % sure, is there a way to find out.

Thanks for any help you can provide
mler
Master
Master

Re: am I Italian?

Post by mler »

If your father did not naturalize in another country before your birth, you may qualify. I believe, too, that if your parents married before 1983, your mother would have obtained Italian citizenship from your father, and you would be able to obtain it through her. However, if you naturalized as a Canadian citizen before 1992, you would not be able to qualify jure sanguinis.

Write to the comune. They will send you his birth certificate if he was born there. Do you have any documents--marriage certificate for example--that may give you more information?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If he truly was born in Cremona, then you should simply contact the Ufficio dello Stato Civile and request a copy of his birth certificate; you will ultimately require this official copy anyway, so this would be the best place to start.

Cremona website and contact info: http://www.comune.cremona.it/bd_ui-view ... -150.phtml

There are many threads here which discuss how to obtain birth and other records. One of them is: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carolamar2002

Post by carolamar2002 »

He is still Italian, I do know that. I have no idea how to write to Italy and who to write to. Also my parents were married in the Netherlands not in Italy. If I have his name on my birth certificate and I can find the record of marriage would that be enough?
Also I still have an old permanent residence certificate issued by Dutch immigration dated 1976 that states I am Italian, does that help? It has the official local police stamp on it and my photo.

thanks !
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

carolamar2002 wrote:He is still Italian, I do know that. I have no idea how to write to Italy and who to write to. Also my parents were married in the Netherlands not in Italy. If I have his name on my birth certificate and I can find the record of marriage would that be enough?
Also I still have an old permanent residence certificate issued by Dutch immigration dated 1976 that states I am Italian, does that help? It has the official local police stamp on it and my photo.

thanks !
When did you become a naturalized Canadian citizen? This one fact will determine the path you need to take, or even if there is a valid path...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carolamar2002

Post by carolamar2002 »

I became Canadian in 2006
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

carolamar2002 wrote:I became Canadian in 2006
And what were you before you became Canadian? Dutch or Italian? You said earlier, "I still have an old permanent residence certificate issued by Dutch immigration dated 1976 that states I am Italian."

I suspect that your birth was already registered, possibly with the Italian Embassy/Consulate nearest to your city of birth. You should look into this, as it is possible that all you really need to do is to show up at your current local Italian consulate and request a passport application.

If you would spell out in detail the timeline, it may help us better understand:

When and where were you born?
What is the nature and the date of the certificate mentioned above?
When did you go to Canada?
Is your father still living? Your mother? When did they marry and, if applicable, divorce?
Carmine

carolamar2002

Post by carolamar2002 »

I was born in the Netherlands in 1960
the certificate is from the the Amsterdam local police immigration division and it states that I am an Italian citizen and have a Dutch permanent residence.
It was issued in 1976 and contains and official stamp and original signature on the document.
I moved to Canada in 1981.
My parents were married in Amsterdam 1966 and divorced in Amsterdam around 1974. Both my parents are still alive unfortunately I am not in contact with either at the moment.

I really appreciate everything Carmine, you have no idea !

Carolien
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I think your birth is already registered, most likely at the Italian Embassy in The Netherlands and also in Cremona. I would urge you to contact the consulate in the Netherlands, explain your situation, and ask them to check their AIRE database to see if you are registered. You could probably get the same help from the consulate in Canada. What major city are you closest to?
Carmine

carolamar2002

Post by carolamar2002 »

I have a consulate an hour away from here in Toronto, I will give them a call tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is.

Carolien
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I look forward to hearing how you make out with the Toronto consulate. Good Luck!
Carmine