Antonio Modarelli from Colobraro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sonnyjim

Antonio Modarelli from Colobraro

Post by sonnyjim »

Hello, I'm doing research and stuck at this point. I'm looking for an Antonio Modarelli who emigrated to NY from Colobraro (via Palermo) on the Vincenzo Florio. Modarelli - spelled "Madarelli" on the ship's docket - was born about 1854 or 1856 (depending on the record) and arrived on the VF 11 Jun 1881. By the 1900s, he and his family were living in the Braddock Borough of Western PA. Among his other children, he had a son Antonio who became the famous conductor for the Pittsburgh Symphony. His wife's name was Rosa, I believe, and she might have come over about the same time. Does anyone have information on this line of Modarellis in Colobraro? How can I progress from this point on? Thanks in advance for any info.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Modarelli from Colobraro

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum :D !
Do you have all of your US records?
The following may help with your Modarelli family research in Colobraro
Thank you, Valarie

Your nearest Family History Center can order records for Colobraro on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Topic:
Italy, Matera, Colobraro
- Civil registration

Title search results:
Registri dello stato civile di Colobraro (Matera),
1811-1929 Colobraro (Matera)
Ufficio dello stato civile

film notes for Colobraro:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Colo &columns=*,0,0
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
You may want to call first to verify the hours they're open.
Most centers are staffed with very helpful volunteers.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just in case you don't already have these documents
These naturalization papers may belong to your family

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2008/d ... ention.jpg
Publication Number: M1537
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Date: 1891-05-08
Immigrant Full Name: Antonio Modarelli
Document Type: Declaration of Intention
Home Country: Italy
Record Group: 21

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2440 ... lizati.jpg
Publication Number: M1537
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Year: 1894
Date: 1894-02-06
Immigrant Full Name: Antonio Modarelli
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness Full Name: Rob't Gray
Record Group: 21
---

for reference
1900 census with wife Rosa

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2250/1900e.jpg
next page
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/263/190001.jpg

Home in 1900:
306 Braddock Ave, owns without a mortgage
Braddock Ward 3, Allegheny, Pennsylvania

head Antonio Moderlla 45, born Jan 1854 in Italy
- married 22 yrs, abt 1878
- immig 1880, Na (naturalized citizen)
- fruit dealer
wife Rose Moderlla 39, born Feb 1861
9 children born, 6 children living
- immig 1880
daughter Mary Moderlla 14, born Jul 1885
daughter Lizzie Moderlla 12, born Sep 1887
daughter Josephine Moderlla 10, born (?) 1889
son Charles Moderlla 8, born Mar 1892
son Thomas Moderlla 5, born Aug 1894
daughter Margaret Moderlla 1, born May 1899
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

son Antonio's Death Record from the FamilySearch Pilot site

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9544/0001277.gif

Name: Antonio Modarelli
Death Date: 01 Apr 1954
Death Place: Charleston, Kanawha, West Virginia
Estimated Birth Year: 29 Aug 1894
Birth Place: Bradock, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Father's Name: Antonio Modarelli
Mother's Name: Rosa La Fronica
Cemetery: White Sulphur Springs
Burial Date: 03 Apr 1954
Film Number: 460392
Digital Folder Number: 4226910
Image Number: 71
Source: County Records
Reference Number: v M p 30
Collection: West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970
---

Best guess on Rosa's maiden name: Latronico

Helpful surname site: http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... icata.html
---

Rosa is probably on line 182 listed after husband Antonio Modarelli on line 181

1881 manifest
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7338/1881i.jpg
Name: Maria Latronico
Arrival Date: 11 Jun 1881
Birth Year: abt 1858
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Destination: New York,United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Vincenzo Florio
In Italy women keep their father's surnames, so she would be travelling under her maiden name
Her full name was proabably Maria Rosa Latronico
lazchance

Post by lazchance »

Many Modarellis live in the Youngstown, Ohio area having settled in Brier Hill. My grandmother, from Colobraro, was related to the Modarellis.
RobRow

Post by RobRow »

lazchance wrote:Many Modarellis live in the Youngstown, Ohio area having settled in Brier Hill. My grandmother, from Colobraro, was related to the Modarellis.
My grandfather (Giuseppe Zito) and my grandmother (Rosaria Gialdino) both emigrated from Colobraro in 1907 and 1910 respectively. They both settled in Youngstown, Ohio, where I was born. We, too, are related to the Modarellis. It seems everybody in Colobraro (pop. 1500) is related. If I may ask, what was your grandmother's name?
salkenney

Post by salkenney »

My gg grandmother's maiden name was Zito and she also came from Colobraro. She married Dominic Borio (one of various spellings) and her daughter was Mary Borio Latronica. Dominic is the biggest puzzle in my 25 years of research. He disappeared around 1900 and his wife married Rocco Yano and her children took his name, which eventually became Yane. My mother and everyone in her generation always thought her grandmother's maiden name was Yane. I have not been able to find what happened to Dominic Borio after 1900. Latronicas lived next door to Modarellis on Dearborn in Youngstown for many many years and I have fond memories of spending lots of wonderful hours at "the house."

Can you help me with the Zito line? I wonder if yours was my g grandmother's brother.
RobRow

Post by RobRow »

salkenney wrote:My gg grandmother's maiden name was Zito and she also came from Colobraro. She married Dominic Borio (one of various spellings) and her daughter was Mary Borio Latronica. Dominic is the biggest puzzle in my 25 years of research. He disappeared around 1900 and his wife married Rocco Yano and her children took his name, which eventually became Yane. My mother and everyone in her generation always thought her grandmother's maiden name was Yane. I have not been able to find what happened to Dominic Borio after 1900. Latronicas lived next door to Modarellis on Dearborn in Youngstown for many many years and I have fond memories of spending lots of wonderful hours at "the house."

Can you help me with the Zito line? I wonder if yours was my g grandmother's brother.
As far as I know, my grandfather Giuseppe Zito had no sister; but he had a brother, Nicola Zito, who was born in Colobraro in 1892. Nicola Zito was married to a Maria Lateana, and they had six children: Nicola, Luisa (born 1913), Giovanni, Gennaro, Amalia (born 1922) and Eleonorora (born 1931). What was your gg grandmother's first name? As far as Dominic Borio, I'm afraid I can't help there.

There are still members of the Zito family living in Colobraro. When I visited Colobraro in 2003 I met many cousins I didn't even know I had. Colobraro is an enchanting village that has a very spooky reputation--lots of superstitious people there.
tnlb5982@gmail.com

Post by tnlb5982@gmail.com »

I have some info on a Rose Modarelli. She Married Filippo Ricciull (gg grandfather). The Ricciulli's (now Richley) are from Colobraro and immigrated to Youngstown as well. My great Uncle was the mayor of Youngstown, Phil Richely (aka Filippo Ricciulli) I have a picture of her that my grandmother gave me posted on Ancrestry.com. I'm curious if there is a connection since it seems this is the third family on the post from Colobraro that all settled in Youngstown.
RobRow

Post by RobRow »

Since Colobraro is such a small community (less than 1500 full-time residents) it seems likely that many families who emigrated from the village were related. Also, in the early years of immigration to the U.S. Italian immigrants had to be sponsored by an Italian resident alien or citizen who could "vouch" for the immigrant who was applying for status in America.
LC3375

Post by LC3375 »

There were Modarellis with both a Youngstown, OH connection as well as a Pittsburgh, PA connection. My great aunt, Rose Rendinell Modarelli, married Charles Modarelli. Charles had a brother, Antonio, who was a conductor of the Pittsburgh Symphony in the 1930s. The Rendinells (Rondinelli's) came from Colobraro, Matera, Basilicata Italy, as did many Italians who settled in the Brier Hill section of Youngstown, including many Modarellis. My great aunt's mother in law was Rosa Latronica Modarelli.