Appointment in NYC set!!! Dec 30, 2011

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Appointment in NYC set!!! Dec 30, 2011

Post by lorinigro »

:D I'm so excited to have our date set!! My appointment is first, followed by my brother then uncle. I will be making appointments in Newark for my dad and sister (I'm clearly the one in charge of this whole process!)

I have already written to the comune, Laurenzana, requesting my GGF estratto dell'atto di nascita. I'm wondering, if we're all using the same paperwork to apply, do we all need copies of it? In NYC, my appointment is first followed by my brother. The only differences being our birth certificates and those of our marriages, spouses and my son. My uncle is going after us and the only difference will be his BC and his wifes info. Would they be able to say "See Lori's paperwork" or is it best we each have our own?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Appointment in NYC set!!! Dec 30, 2011

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You know...

Some consulates have been insistent that a living ancestor (your dad) should apply and be approved first...

Since your dad intends to apply anyway, there is some value in letting him go first. Once his citizenship application has been approved, he need do little more than simply register the births of his children - no matter how old they may be at the time; this is the way the NYC consulate handled my (at the time) 22 year old son. The process (registering children's births)takes no more than a week or two.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The only problem with Newark is that they insist that the comune register all documents before they will allow you to apply for a passport. New York insisted that I apply in Newark before my son applied in NY, but they did permit him to apply. (This was three years ago, however.)

If you submitted applications in both Newark and NY, you would need two sets of documents. I think that Carmine's plan would work best for you unless Newark has an exceptionally long wait.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lorinigro »

I'm definitely going to try to make them an appointment in Newark first then. I have already called the consulate and left a message. In this case would my brother and I still need to apply in NYC or are we granted our own citizenship through our dad?

I apologize for all the questions. I just want to get everything in order in my head before I start collecting documents and such.

Thank you so much for the fast and helpful replies!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You may not need to apply at all, but I would keep the appointment just in case. Your father should ask the consular officer at the interview if he can simply register his adult children after his citizenship is recognized.

Newark follows many of the procedures of NY, but it would be good to have this confirmed.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

when me and my mother applied in december 2010, they would not register my adult brother who is 24. I have learned though that for sure no two consulates are the same and no two appointments are the same. As mler said you should keep your appointment just in case.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lorinigro »

Since my appointment in NYC is before any appointments being given out in Newark, I'm going to keep mine. The woman I spoke to in Newark said it was up to me whether I wanted to wait for him or go on my own. My dad will try to register my 24-year-old sister with his application.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It may be a good idea to present your father's Declaration of Living Ascendant when you apply in NY. Do not tell them that your father is also applying; in fact, if they ask, tell them he is not sure that he wants to do so. If they know he is applying, they may insist that he apply first (anything to reduce their paperwork :) )

When I applied four years ago with my son, they told me that I should apply in Newark first. I told them, however, that my son's citizenship was more important and that I would consider applying later. They did tell me that if my son's citizenship was recognized, the information would be sent to Newark if I later applied. I don't know if this would still happen today or even if it would have happened then because, as it turned out, we didn't need to do this.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lorinigro »

Mler - that is the plan, to say my dad isn't sure about applying. I don't want to go through all this work for December just to have to wait until my dad can get an appointment next spring. When you and your son went, did you present one set of originals? My brother, uncle and I are applying with the same paperwork and I wasn't sure if we should each have originals. I was going to make them copies, as their appointments are right after mine.