My JS Journey So Far

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

My JS Journey So Far

Post by jgenduso »

9/17/10 - 200 Days to go...

Hi Everyone – (Beware longer post),

First I want to say thank to everyone who has contributed the wealth of information in this forum. It helped get me interested and get me excited to start this journey.I will be journaling the work I do, here in trying to obtain my dual citizenship and I hope my trials and tribulations can help other that might run into the same/similar issues.

Background:I grew up in the NY area near NYC born in 1965 in NJ. Dad born in NYC, NY, 1915. Mom (not Italian) born 1935 in NJ. Married in 1957 in NJ. Grandpa (Dad’s side) born 1885 in Ficuzza, PL, Sicily. Came over in 1905 (according to Census records) Confirmed. Census records show no naturalization, just 1st papers. Only found a record of a Declaration of Intent to Naturalize in NY County on Ancestry.com. No data beyond the volume and page. Received certified copy of first papers but no record of naturalizaton yet. Found GF Nat Records - Nat in 1922. Grandma (Dad’s side) born 1891 in Caltanesta (Actually is Caltanessitta) Resuttano, CL, Sicily. Married 1910 in NYC.

Using GF->F->Me Bloodline

Docs I have for the San Francisco consulate as of 7/2/09: None

For Whom Document Name Apostille? Translation? From Location
Done - GF Birth Certificate No No Italy
Done - GM Birth Certificate No No Italy
Done - GF Marriage Certificate Yes Yes New York
Done - GF Naturalization Cert USICS No No US Gov
Done - GF Naturalization Cert NARA No No US Gov - Not Needed
Done - GF NARA Certified Census Record No No US Gov - Not Needed
Done - GF Naturalization Cert NJ Hudson County No No Hudson County, NJ
Done - GF Naturalization Cert NY County No No NY County, NY - Not Needed
Done - GF Certified D of I NY County No No NY County, NY - Not Needed
Done - Dad Birth Certificate Yes No New York City
Done - Mom Birth Certificate No No New Jersey
Done - Dad Marriage Certificate Yes No New Jersey
Done - Me Birth Certificate Yes Yes New Jersey
Done - GF Death Certificate Yes Yes Florida
Done - GM Death Certificate Yes No New Jersey
Done - Wife Birth Certificate No No Oregon
Done - Me Marriage Certificate Yes Yes St. Thomas
Done - Kid1 Birth Certificate Yes Yes Oregon
Done - Kid2 Birth Certificate Yes Yes Oregon

6/28/09 - Search into USCIS for Naturalization Records
7/2/09 - Wrote away for certified Florida death cert for GFD (Grandfather Dad’s side).
7/2/09 - Purchased IRCs for GF and GM birth certificates - I am sending 2 per request.
7/2/09 - Found Ficuzza is in the Corleone comune.
7/2/09 - Found grandparents marriage record in NY in 1910. Ordered certified copies (2) from NY municipal archives with Letter of exemplification.
7/3/09 - Sent letters to comunes of Corleone and Caltanissetta requesting Grandparents birth certificates. Sent through USPS. Added 2 IRCs to each letter.
7/3/09 - Ordered my own birth certificate, certified through NJ vital records online. Monday (7/6), now have to fax driver’s license to them as proof. Ordered 5 copies; never know when I'll need them since I have lost 2 in moves so far.
7/6/09 - Letter to Hudson County Clerk for GF Naturalization search. With postage and certified mail
7/6/09 - Letter to USVI to get certified marriage cert for me.
7/7/09 - Wrote to St. Thomas Lt Gov's office on how to Apostille of Docs
7/8/09 - St. Thomas Gov's office replied
7/8/09 - NARA online ordering system up, ordered search and certified copy,
7/10/09 - Ordered Dad's death cert from NYS so that I can then order his birth cert from NYC.
7/10/09 - Found consulate recommended translator in my area for $35.00 page.
7/11/09 - Found my birth cert, found parent's marriage info from a newspaper clipping in their wedding pictures, found mom's birthplace on my birth cert, found dad's birthplace on civil air patrol documents, found my marriage cert from St Thomas
7/12/09 - Ordered Mom's birth cert from NJ.*** Ran into problem...Need her mother's maiden name. Will get it from my parent's marriage cert. Vitalchek will put it on hold until I get the maiden name.
7/12/09 - Ordered Parent's marriage cert from NJ.
7/13/09 - Sent Marriage cert to USVI to get apostilled.
7/13/09 - Sent kids BCs to Salem, OR to get apostilled.
7/13/09 - Email from vitalchek - my certified birth cert will arrive 7/15.
7/15/09 - Received both my birth certs and my dad's death cert
7/16/09 - NARA email received stating no records found at Newark NJ. Now asking them about Trenton NJ Nat center.
7/16/09 - Sent out request to get my dad's birth certificate from NYC
7/16/09 - Received Kids birth certificates back w/o Apostille from Oregon. Docs have to be under 6 months old, from the county, to be apostilled.
7/16/09 - Received email from St. Thomas, doc I sent wasn't original, will check in safe deposit box tomorrow for original one.
7/17/09 - Went to the State of Oregon building and got 2 certified BCs for the kids. Mailed them priority mail to Salem, again for Apostille
7/18/09 - Sent off GF Death cert for Apostille in FL
7/20/09 - Mailed NY County to search for GF 1st papers. Found reference on Ancestry.com.
7/20/09 - Sent off GParent's Marriage cert for certification to NY County Clerk
7/20/09 - Sent off letter to USVI to have my marriage cert amended to correct birth place
7/20/09 - Found from my grandparent's marriage certificate, GM born in Resuttano rather than in Caltanissetta. But both are in the Caltanessitta province. Sent off letter to Resuttano comune for GM birth cert.
7/20/09 - Received my appt in SFO - April 5, 2011
7/22/09 - Received kids birth certs with apostilles from Oregon. 3 out of 18 docs completely done 15 more to go
7/23/09 - Sending copies of 5 docs off to the translator, Recived copy of my marriage cert's - have to amend wrong city of birth for me
7/24/09 - Received GF Death Cert apostilled 4 out of 18 docs done, received negative search from Caltanessitta comune (letter sent before I knew it was Resuttano)
7/27/09 - Received NY County Court docs back with No record of naturalization, they did send me his declation of intent dated Dec 31, 1917 (after my dad's birth), recevied my parent's marriage certificate from NJ, received my mom's birth certificate from NJ - need to amend this since her last name is incorrect on it. 5 out of 18 docs done
7/28/09 - Sent parent's marriage cert to get apostilled in NJ
7/29/09 - ordered mom's dad's birth certificate so I amend her birth cert
7/31/09 - recevied grandparent's marraige cert back from certification
8/1/09 - Sent grandparent's marriage cert to get apostilled in NYS
8/3/09 - received GF birth extract from the comune 6 out of 18 docs done
8/5/09 - Sent off another letter to hudson county, nj for naturalization search. Sent request to new york county for certified dec of intent
8/6/09 Received Mom's Dad birth cert so I can get mom's birth cert amended (hopefully)
8/7/09 Sent off mom amending birth cert letter to NJ. Received grandparent's marriage cert back from apostille 7 out of 18 done
8/8/09 Received my birth cert back with apostille from NJ. Received 1920 certified census record from NARA. 9 of 18 now complete.
8/10/09 - Received my changed marriage certificate from USVI
8/11/09 - Sent off marriage cert to be apostilled
8/12/09 - Received certified D of I from NY County 10 of 18 done
8/13/09 - Received my parent's marriage cert back from apostille 11 of 18 done
8/14/09 - Received my GM birth cert from Resuttano 12 of 18 docs done
8/17/09 - Received my Dad's BC from NYC.
8/18/09 - Sent vitalchek.com the order for my GM death cert. Sent Dad's BC to NYC for certification.
8/20/09 - Unable to get GM Death cert from New Jersey - Differing Italian vs. English names on certificates. Emailed NJ to ask what I can do to get it fixed.
8/20/09 - Received email from Ms. Stone in SFO consulate about my mother's birth cert issue. She said "Since it is not your line and if her last name on your birth and marriage (if applicable) match up, it should not present a problem." So that is fixed.
8/21/09 - Found an issue with my GF death cert - I ordered the one w/o cause of death. I have to have one with it because they just whited out the fields with that info so it doesn't look legal. I am getting a new one with that information on it sent, then will re-apostille.
8/21/09 - Sent out a letter to NJ to get my birth cert amended to have my father's name as Guiseppe to match his birth cert.
8/24/09 - Sent a letter to NJ to get my GM's death cert
8/27/09 - Got note back from Fla on GF death cert - didn't send my ID so I have to resend
8/28/09 - Sent GF Death Cert request #3. Received my marriage cert apostilled from USVI. Received my dad's birth cert certified from NY County. Sent off Dad's BC for apostille. 12 of 18 done
9/4/09 - Sent of for Letter of No Records from NARA. Received GF Death cert and sent off for Apostille. Received Dad's BC apostilled. 13 of 18 docs done.
9/5/09 - Sent request for Wife's BC. Received GF naturalization papers (D of I, Petition, Oath and Citizenship Cert) from Hudson County, NJ. 14 of 18 docs done
9/8/09 - Received GM Death Cert. Sent off to NJ for apostille.
9/9/09 - Ordered Cert of Nat from USCIS after getting the nat cert # from NJ court docs
9/11/09 - Received GF Death Cert apostille from Fla. 15 of 18 docs done
9/17/09 - Received email from USCIS with .PDF of my GF Nat Cert. They are mailing me the Nat Cert as well as send the rest of the C-File after review. 16 of 18 documents done
9/26/09 - Received GM Death Cert apostille from NJ. 17 of 18 docs done
9/29/09 - Have my wife Birth Cert. 18 of 18 documents done
2/25/10 - Found out new requirement in SFO - GF & GM Death Certs need translations - Ordered translations from translator
3/15/10 - Received translation from translator
4/5/10 - Book Plane flight to SFO for appointment

I am tracking ancestry through a software program to keep track of all the info I get. I also crated a Microsoft Project plan to track all my documents and tasks to get the documents. When I finish it I can post it if anyone is interested.

Discrepancies:
1. My marriage cert has incorrect city of birth for me. "Englewood Cliffs" vs. just "Englewood" FIXED

2. Mom's Birth Cert has her and her father's last name as Portzelt instead of Porzelt (on his birth cert and every other doc I have for her) FIXED
From Ms. Stone at SFO consulate "Since it is not your line and if her last name on your birth and marriage (if applicable) match up, it should not present a problem. "

3. Dad's Birth Cert show first name as Giuseppe rather than Joseph. Might have to amend my birth cert, my parent's marriage cert and my marriage cert. Sent in note to have my birth cert amended. Still have apostilled BC if they don't amend.FIXED
From Ms. Stone at SFO consulate "If your father is not applying it is not a problem and you do not need to amend, as long as your birth and marriage, etc. match up. "

4. Because of the name discrepancies of my father and grandmother I currently am unable to get my grandmother's death certificate from NJ. Sent a letter to NJ to get with with 5 total docs to show relationship FIXED
Received it directly from the state

Discrepancy List:

Item Document Discrepancy

Paternal Grandmother
Last Name
GM Birth Cert Lo Re
GP Marr Cert Lor?
GM Birth Cert Lore
First Name
GM Birth Cert Ignazia
P Marr Cert Agnes
GM Death Cert Agnes
Birth Date
GM Birth Cert 23 Sep 1891
GM Death Cert 22 Sep 1891

Father
First/Middle Name
Dad Birth Cert Giuseppe
GF Naturalization Cert Giuseppe
P Marr Cert Joseph R.
My Birth Cert Joseph Richard
My Marriage Cert Joseph Richard

Mother
Last Name
Mom Birth Cert Portzelt
P Marr Cert Porzelt
My Birth Cert Porzelt
My Marriage Cert Porzelt
First/Middle Name
Mom Birth Cert Mossrose
P Marr Cert Mossrose Agnes
My Birth Cert Mossrose Agnes
My Marriage Cert Mossrose Agnes
Mother's First Name
Mom Birth Cert Mary
P Marr Cert Catherine
Father Last Name
Mom Birth Cert Portzelt
P Marr Cert Porzelt

Great Grandmother - Genduso
First Name
GF Birth Cert Calogera
GP Marriage Cert Calogera
GF Death Cert Caroline

Great Grandfather - Genduso
First Name
GF Birth Cert Salvatore
GP Marriage Cert Salvatore
GF Death Cert Sam

Great Grandfather - Lo Re
First Name
GM Birth Cert Salvatore
GM Death Cert Peter
Last Name
GM Birth Cert Lo Re
GM Death Cert Lore

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Re: My JS Journey So Far

Post by jgenduso »

3 months till my appointment in SFO.

Joseph

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Hi Joseph,

I just found this post and think it is great you documented everything. This process is so overly complicated. I just started the GGF - GF - F - Me Journey about 6 months ago. I think I might do something like you did to keep track of everything. I am getting buried in docs (half in which I do not need, but great that I found). I am currently using FTM to document everything and an excel sheet to track my JS requirements. I am very interested in seeing your project plan. I never though of using that.

One thing has me worried from reading your journey so far. Documents older then 6 months can not get apostilled? I was taking my time with this journey... and I might already have some docs older then 6 months. I was also hoping to use some original docs from the 80 to save some money. It's getting quite expensive since I have to deal with NYC. Maybe I should start sending out the documents I have before I get everything together.

-D
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jgenduso »

Hi D-

I can send you a .mpp file or a .pdf of my project plan. Just PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

"Documents older then 6 months can not get apostilled?" Yes my daughter was 18 months when I needed to get her birth certificate and tried to get her orginial apostilled (he had extra copies made when she was born). No go - they won't certify a signature earlier than that.

"and I might already have some docs older then 6 months." - I wound up ordering more than 1 doc most times and sending the doc off for apostille as soon as I received it and keeping a backup copy in case of USPS loss.

"I was also hoping to use some original docs from the 80 to save some money. It's getting quite expensive since I have to deal with NYC." - I understand - a lot of my docs were from NYC. Be glad they aren't from NYS. He's the silver lining :) For a Birth Cert you might have had to get a court order.

All the best - If you have any question please drop me a note.

Joseph

DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Thanks for the info! I will PM you!

I used your post as a template (thanks!) and documented all needed documents, their status, discrepancies and even created a log I hope to keep going forward. I also added a cost table to keep that documented to help other people possibly. Thankfully, the only document I have older then 6 months is my daughter's birth certificate, so that should not be hard to get again. I do however need to send out some of the other documents I received the past month.

I have a lot of discrepancies that are going to be a pain to get fixed. Even my GGM death certificate has her name spelled differently multiple times on the same page. Hopefully the consulate understands I probably can't amend a DC that has already been archived.

And I still have to look forward to the Miami consulate which I heard is a nightmare with name spellings and extra non Italian line documents. It even costs $2.49 a min to contact them by phone.

-D
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Thanks for the documents! I took a page from your book and created a website to track everything. The site will also be used to share all the info I am collecting with my family. I have several cousins that are going to benefit greatly.

Thanks again!

Site: findingparadiso.wordpress.com

-D
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jgenduso »

29 Days and counting...Woo hooo

Joseph

jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jgenduso »

Two weeks and counting. I'll be posting an appointment re-cap when I'm done.

Joseph

jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Re: My JS Journey So Far - Finished

Post by jgenduso »

Today I received my letter from the consulate in SFO. 2 months and 1 day after my appointment. My children were also recognized.

Now off to get my wife's, through Jure Matromoni.

Thank you to everyone who supported me on this board!

All the best,

Joseph

jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Congratulations Joe. Wonderful turnaround on the part of San Francisco consulate. Are you moving to Italy any time soon?