Okay, I am stuck!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Okay, I am stuck!

Post by lilbees »

I have traced one of my cousins, Gennaro Rescigno b. 1866, who came to the U.S. in 1892 with his wife, Maria Teresa "Tressa" Scarpato b. 1866. I have their arrival manifest, 1910, 1920 and 1930 census information. I also have the names of their children all of whom were born in N.Y.

1. I have not located death information for either of them. They lived in Queens for the entire period. Only 2 different addresses.

2. For naturalization information it is noted that Gennaro was NA 1898 in the 1910 census and PA 1921 in the 1930 census.

I have not, at this time, requested a search for the naturalization information but will be doing so in the near future. The index cards on Ancestry are not a big help without any date.

Most important for me is locating a death record of some sort for them. I have dealt with NY previously and as usual they seem to have difficulty locating records and can be quite costly.

I have all the records for this family and can be found in my Ancestry online tree.

Any assistance with the above would be great.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Okay, I am stuck!

Post by Romano1970 »

I was actually told one time by an office in NY that the records that I would like to obtain are mst likely either lost in a basement somewhere or they are gone forever. When I asked why they didnt have them at least on micro film the person said quite harsly that it wasnt her job to know where every scrap of paper was. Also that if this was for geneology then why am I wastingher time. I asked to sp minutes on hold I hung up. Not to say that this is going to happen everywhere....I just wasnt ready for that kind of response. Maybe they were having a bad day!!!! : )
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Some type got lost on he above some how.

I asked to speak with her manager and after twenty minutes holdig on I just hung up the phone.
Michael Romano

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

At least you understand why I am hesitant to make a request there. I have received so many "record not found" from NY and at $15 a crack not what I want to do now. In fact, I did finally find the requested records but did so on my own with some help from a friend who went to the offices and searched through listings. It still cost me money to get copies but worth it since the clerks were not willing or not able to find anything.

So..........if anything can be found to help me it would be great.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Anything I can do to help. I do still have relatives in the NY NJ area. Quite a few actually. ( I was the only stunad to move to colorado) LMAO. If any have time they would help I am sure. its better when you have the request staring you in the face.
Michael Romano

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

My experience of NYC with death records has been just the opposite. I have received every one I've ordered, usually within two weeks. Normally, I order on line, so maybe that makes a difference?

What info are you providing?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Have you tried ordering this one:?

Surname Given Name Age Month Day Year Certificate
Number County Soundex
Rescigno Teresa 69 y June 10 1936 4322 Queens R225
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

there is a NYC death certificate for a Teresa Rescigno of Queens - aged 69... died 6/10/1936. Certificate #4322..seems to match up pretty well.

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeathresul ... &B1=Submit

see page 2
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Ann. I am referring to Giovanna Rescigno, b. 1871, who went by the name Anna here in the US. She married Vincenzo Tropeano, b. 1881, after her first husband died shortly after their arrival in the US in 1903. His name was Vincenzo Fiumara. She remarried in 1907. I do have that marriage record as well as the one from Italy.

I have not been able to locate Giovanna and her husband after the 1930 census. She had a son, Filippo, from her previous marriage but no children after. Her first husband died within the first year (1903) they arrived in the US. She married Vincenzo Tropeano in 1907 in NY. I have not located his death as yet but am just now working on his family to see if I can find a record for him but I do believe he died prior to Giovanna (Anna).

There is another Anna in that family married to Giuseppe (Joseph) Tropeano, younger brother to Vincenzo. That Anna died in 1922.

I believe the Teresa (Theresa) you found is the wife of her older brother Gennaro. Am still waiting for a copy of that death record to confirm what I believe.

There were so many changes to the last name through misspellings, etc., that even using the soundex search makes finding information difficult.

I have been in contact with most of the children's families of those who immigrated to the US. Giovanna and Gennaro families are the only 2 that I have not had contact with and it has been very difficult finding information on all of them.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

lilbees