I need advice to searching archives in Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Gviola

I need advice to searching archives in Italy

Post by Gviola »

In the near future I may be traveling to the city of Castelfranco Veneto. My plan is to search the civil archives as well as the local Parish archives.

What advice does anyone have in regards to dealing with the above archives. Are their any special requirements that I need to be aware of? Do I need to get permission before I travel? What should I bring with me? Should I hire a researcher to assist me or is it possible to do the work myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: I need advice to searching archives in Italy

Post by adelfio »

There is a good book out by Trafford Cole Italian Genealogical Records lots of info and help with getting records. You would enjoy it
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... gy+records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Gviola

Post by Gviola »

Thanks again Marty

I'll definitely look for it.

Gary
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

For searching church archives a letter of recommendation from your Bishop wouldn't hurt. I have been asked for this in Rome and Montecassino.
Be sure to always have your passport with you as the archives always ask for photo ID.
A pair of cotton gloves is handy, these records are very dirty and there isn't always a place to wash your hands after the search.
Your digital camera with extra batteries and a notebbok and pencil incase they don't allow photos. Note: in Frosinone you can get photocopies for 10 cents but digital photos with you camera are 3 euro! I don't know if this applies everywhere.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Gviola

Post by Gviola »

Thanks for the advice Ann. In regards to a letter from the Bishop. I'm not a regular church goer, so that may be a little difficult but I'll certainly make a note of your other suggestions.

Gary
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Good morning. Still need a contact point to get certified birth certificates and certificates of Italian Citizenship, from the comune di Bella. I of course get no response, but I will be there later this summer. Perhaps being at the Archivio Stato Civile office in person will make a difference. But where?

Thanks,
Tont
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It never ceases to amaze me how many Italian comune websites fail to give their street address...

When you get to Bella, you can ask someone "Dove uffici municipio?" (where are the municipal offices?)

The Anagrafe – Stato Civile office is headed by Maria Assunta Santoro

It is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM. On Tuesday and Thursday, it re-opens from 4:00 PM until 6:00 PM. See http://www.comune.bella.pz.it/index.php ... &Itemid=27

You can use the form on this page to send Maria an email advising her of your planned visit: http://www.comune.bella.pz.it/index.php ... &Itemid=21
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Millie Grazie
lorene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lorene »

I, too will look for this book for help in my search for more family in Italy.
Grazie, Lorene