Anagrafe

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Anagrafe

Post by rjrdomer »

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with an anagrafe office in Italy? What do they provide and when does it make sense to contact them versus the civil records office?

I requested some documents on my g-g grandfather, Cono Russo, from his commune in italy and they responded with a few of the documents and this paragraph. Would you suggest I reach out to the anagrafe office? What should I ask of them and provide? Thanks.

Per quanto riguarda l'atto di morte NON FIGURA alcun atto registrato in questo Comune a nome di RUSSO Cono nei registri di morte dell'anno 1917 e si comunica che nella sede Comunale nell'ufficio ANAGRAFE NON CI SONO REGISTRI di emigrazione relativi al 1800 ma dal 1920 in poi, inoltre si comunica che per trovare i fratelli, le sorelle e i genitori di RUSSO Cono bisogna indicare almeno approssimativamente l'anno di nascita e l'anno di matrimonio come avete riporato i dati appunto per Russo Cono per trovare nascita e matrimonio.

Questo ufficio resta in attesa di vostre notizie in merito e porge distinti saluti
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Anagrafe

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I believe you want the Stato Civile office for birth/marriage/death records and the anagrafe for family status and similar records.

However, as a practical matter, in most all small to mid-size comuni, the two "offices" are more than likely housed in a single room and may even be staffed by the same person(s).

My (bad) interpretation of the quoted paragraph:

a) they did not find the requested death certificate

b) for additional family members, they require at the least an approximate year of birth or marriage in order to search for the records

c) (I think) they only have emigration records dating from 1920 onwards
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

rjrdomer wrote:Per quanto riguarda l'atto di morte NON FIGURA alcun atto registrato in questo Comune a nome di RUSSO Cono nei registri di morte dell'anno 1917 e si comunica che nella sede Comunale nell'ufficio ANAGRAFE NON CI SONO REGISTRI di emigrazione relativi al 1800 ma dal 1920 in poi, inoltre si comunica che per trovare i fratelli, le sorelle e i genitori di RUSSO Cono bisogna indicare almeno approssimativamente l'anno di nascita e l'anno di matrimonio come avete riporato i dati appunto per Russo Cono per trovare nascita e matrimonio.
I apologize that my post was not clear enough
liviomoreno wrote:They do not have any death act for Russo Cono for the year 1917 and their emigration registers begin from 1920. If you want to find the siblings and the parents of Russo Cono you must provide an approximate birth and marriage year.
:cry:
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Your post was very clear. Thank you. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with the anagrafe offices too.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The anagrafe IS the civil records office. It is also the office that does the electoral register, handles the civil marriages, and the local census taking.
Census is not like in other countries.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Italysearcher wrote:The anagrafe IS the civil records office. It is also the office that does the electoral register, handles the civil marriages, and the local census taking.
Census is not like in other countries.

Anagrafe and Ufficio di Stato Civile are 2 separate offices, both belonging to the Servizi Demografici department, the latter also includes the AIRE (Anagrafe Italiani Residenti all'Estero)
As Carmine said:
Anagrafe holds the registers of the population
Stato Civile holds the vital records (birth/death/marriage)
AIRE holds the registers of the Italians residing abroad

in small towns the three offices may be managed by the same person.