Italians to South America Data Bank

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mfjp
Master
Master

Italians to South America Data Bank

Post by mfjp »

The Data Banks ...on Italian emigrants to the United States, Argentina and Brazil...

Don't log in yet... as it might hang up your computer.... :?:

http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie.htm

During the last two years, I have tried to register to this site... about 4 times... with no luck...

I have yet to view one manifest or any other kind of information. :roll:

Recently I read a couple of comments about not being able to log in... but yet... I have seen people post links to this site telling people to look for their ancestors here...

My questions are...

1. Has anyone been able to view a manifest from this site?

2. What Italian ports or other ports do they depart from... what info do these manifests contain... how do they compare to Ellis manifests?

3. Why can't I even log in after I register?

4. I am somewhat computer literate... I just don't understand why I can't view one thing... would using a Macintosh computer be a problem...?

I ignore 99% of the South American posts at this forum, only because I haven't any data or proof of their ancestors. I feel sorry for our South American paesanos... because of the research challenges they face. :cry:

I appreciate the work of the forum members who try to help our South American friends, and sometimes wish I could help too.

I would really appreciate any comments or advice!! :P

With thanks,
Maria
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italians to South America Data Bank

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:The Data Banks ...on Italian emigrants to the United States, Argentina and Brazil...

During the last two years, I have tried to register to this site... about 4 times... with no luck...

Recently I read a couple of comments about not being able to log in... but yet... I have seen people post links to this site telling people to look for their ancestors here...

My questions are...

2. What Italian ports or other ports do they depart from... what info do these manifests contain... how do they compare to Ellis manifests?

4. I am somewhat computer literate... I just don't understand why I can't view one thing... would using a Macintosh computer be a problem...?

I ignore 99% of the South American posts at this forum, only because I haven't any data or proof of their ancestors. I feel sorry for our South American paesanos... because of the research challenges they face. :cry:

I appreciate the work of the forum members who try to help our South American friends, and sometimes wish I could help too.

With thanks,
Maria
Hi Maria,

For the website you mention above, I use the following link:

http://www.italians-world.org/Italy/BancaDatiGb.htm

Click on a language, then click on the "Find Your Roots", then make a name and password and you should get in with no problem.

To answer some of your questions, this link does list people who went to South America as well as to the USA. However, there isn't a manifest to view like you do on Ellis Island.

Also, to those of South America, if you go the link below for the Family History Catalog, you do a place search and type in the Country you are from and you will get a list of the the microfilm the Family History Center has.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

I hope this is of some help to you all.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Trish,

Hope all is well... really appreciate how fast you answered my questions. I am sure that this info will also help the others who wondered the same thing.

Much of the American research can be done from the internet... but when you've done all your American research... The Family History Center is the way to go... or even a big city library (but phone first)...

Now that I have replied to you... I will check out the link you linked... but wanted to thank you first...

All the very best to you!!
Maria
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:Hi Trish,

Hope all is well... really appreciate how fast you answered my questions. I am sure that this info will also help the others who wondered the same thing.

Much of the American research can be done from the internet... but when you've done all your American research... The Family History Center is the way to go... or even a big city library (but phone first)...

Now that I have replied to you... I will check out the link you linked... but wanted to thank you first...

All the very best to you!!
Maria
Hi Maria,

You didn't have to thank me, we are all on here to help each other out!:)

This link might also help with reseraching genealogy in South America. I also have to find a few other links that I have misfiled in my "favorites".

http://www.orthohelp.com/geneal/samerica_sites.htm

Smile for me! :D
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Any luck with registration for the above site? I still get a connection timeout when trying to register........ :?

wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

:cry: no...

Maybe too many people were on-line?

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I've tried to access this site for a month now....doesn't seem to matter what time or what day.....still getting the connection timeout.........fustrating to say the least!! :roll:

wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

wldspirit wrote:I've tried to access this site for a month now....doesn't seem to matter what time or what day.....still getting the connection timeout.........fustrating to say the least!! :roll:

wldspirit
To Wldspirit and Mjfp

Tell me the name of the person you are looking for on the website. I have access to this site and can post the information for you.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I have access to this site and can post the information for you.
How come you can get on and we can't!!!

Thank you for the offer... I will now send you a huge long list of people I am looking for :twisted: well... just one... for now.

Thank you Trish... :wink:
mfjp
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Data Banks

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

mfjp,

I have used this site many times. There are days like yesterday when I could not get on, but today I have had no problems. This is the web address that I use:

http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie_e.htm
Donna Pellegrin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Maria,

Just wanted to let you know that I am able to access this data base using the first link you posted. I had trouble in the past though. You do need to create a log in. Search results will give you a summary of the information. It does not link directly to a manifest as Ellis Island.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thanks to all who posted with replies!

I finally got a result within the Brazil bank within seconds (no matches... oh well) first time ever but got really super fast results using the USA banks searching for my paesanos... this is so cool for me!!:P :P :P

I used a different internet browser all together!!

Maybe I should use SAFARI more often....

I only use Internet Explorer just because I've used it for years- all my bookmarks are there etc... - but the rest of my family refuses to use it... they prefer SAFARI instead...

So wldspirit... if you are reading... try using a different internet browser...

Thanks for all the links, as this not only helps me - but those out there too... :P :P :P

OK - but one more question... does the Family History Library carry film of these manifests?? say.... from Italy to Brazil?? I could look for it myself... but if you have seen these manifests... what are they like??

maria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Found a way to bypass the connection timeout and was finally able to access the site.........no additional info on my ancestors...... :?
the site is useful I'm sure, but I really like the ship manifest....... :D
Thank you everyone for your input............
wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:The Data Banks ...on Italian emigrants to the United States, Argentina and Brazil...

My questions are...

With thanks,
Maria
Hi Maria,
about ship's manifest of italian emigrants in Brasil, as you know are in data bank of FONDAZIONE AGNELLI, and as you know only for Victoria port in ESPIRITO SANTO of Brasil;
WELL: of same records, is possible to see on line the italian passports; this passports, normally, in second sheet, are the other family memebr listed in travel with head family; please to visite: http://www.ape.es.gov.br/passaportes/It ... portes.htm
More: for same port, also are on line the passports of Repubblica San Marino's citizens, that as you know is an Italian "ENCLAVE"
http://www.ape.es.gov.br/passaportes/Sa ... portes.htm
My best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

WOW!! :P

Thank you so much!! I will certainly check them out, and bookmark them for future research. Thank you all again...

abbracci e baci,
saluti
mfjp :P