question for all

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

question for all

Post by gottogetit »

i am in the process of amending my fathers birth cert (Michael Mariano). his birth cert has Mariano(no michael) and on my birth it has Michael as my father.

On my GF's Nat. cert it has my father listed as Mariano-F(typo-female) instead of Michael. my question is do you think the consulate will overlook this minor name issue (los Angeles)?

Thanks

Mark
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Re: question for all

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Mark,

It depends on which consulate, and how they are feeling on that day ... when it comes to what they will or will not let slide. I am unsure of Los Angeles, but I believe that they will request your fathers name be the same on all documents from Italy down to your birth. Especially if you are going through your father.

Personally, from my experience with NYC Consulate, I was requested to change the name Francico to the proper spelling Francisco. etc.

You will want to amend the information back to the Italian name from Italy.

If your fathers birth certificate has Mariano, then that is his official name - which means you will need to correct your own birth certificate to have your fathers name listed as Mariano (and make sure that his marriage certificate states Mariano as well). In short: wherever your father is listed with his name, the name needs to be the same throughout.

You cannot correct the Nat. cert, so that will have to slide. Honestly, an F instead of M is small as long as the Mariano is spelled correctly - as it seems it is.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Marie
gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gottogetit »

Thanks Marie, going through my GF>F>me..GF born Mariano > my fathers birth cert says Mariano guigno then last name. my father is on my birth cert. listed as Michael. my father marriage cert. says Mike. he has never gone by Mariano. Luckily he still alive and i asked him. He said that his name is mike mariano. well i got my father's baptismal record and it says Michael Mariano. consulate says i need to amend my fathers BC. so it matches his Marriage and my birth cert. So now i was a little worried that my GF's Nat cert had Mariano not Michael as my fathers name. So maybe i should just give the consulate the certificate and not all the other information on the petition. I am also thinking of having my father do an affidavit.

what you think?

Mark
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

You can just give the certificate (that's what I did) my case still pending though.

Even though your father think's his name is Michael Mariano - whatever is on your fathers birth certificate is his official name. I have multiple names on my birth certificate. Even though I go by Marie, by official name is otherwise.

"Mariano Guigno" is your fathers first and middle name?

Being that you are going through your father, you will need to have all of his documents correct w/ the proper spelling. So, you will need to amend your fathers marriage and your birth certificate.

I've read that you can use baptismal records to show as supporting information. Which could help you save money in document changing costs. However, the Consulate in the end does reserve the right to ask you to correct all your documents so they reflect the same name throughout; especially if the person in question is in the direct line you're going through.

Being that your father is still alive, you can ask him to create a sworn affidavit. However, I'd want you to mentally prepare yourself, and probably go the step in having both documents amended. There is a really good chance they will request that.

If you can do that before your appointment - great. If you cannot, and if they do ask you to amend your documents you'll already have a head start - and can mail them in at a later point.

Also, it's possible that the consulate will ask your father to recognize his citizenship as well in the process. I've read that Boston and NYC asks that the parents recognize their citizenship first, then the child. Mostly, because the line is shorter.

Good luck,
Marie
gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gottogetit »

Thanks again Marie, But why not just have my fathers BC amended
to reflect Michael as his first name? if that happens the Marriage cert would match and my birth cert would have the correct name as my father.

Yes Mariano Guingno(first/Middle on birth cert.). state of Illinios says that i need a doc. that was created prior to age 19 of my father to amend his BC. father was baptised at 6 months old. with the name of Michael Mariano. So wouldn't be better to that way?

What you think

Mark
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Yup, that is an option too - your father can ask to have his BC amended. I think that would work for you.

Good luck!
Marie
gottogetit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gottogetit »

Thanks Marie