Advice please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Advice please

Post by nrepole »

Hi all
In early January I emailed the Archives in Potenza (Italy) to see if they had military records (Lista di Leva) for a couple of my relatives. They emailed back after a couple of weeks to tell me that they had found the records and it would cost 3 euro. I quickly despatched 5 euro (including a tip) to them and details of my address. Then I waited. And waited. In mid-March I sent them another email stating that I had not received the records and asking if they could let me know when they would be arriving. I got an email back to say the records had been sent out to me in mid February. But I have not received them. I responded and asked if the records could be resent to me (and gave them my address again). I have not heard from them since.
What should I do. I am upset and feel that they are being arrogant - why can't they just resend it to me, and I don't want to send them a further 5 euro(I know in Australia, it is not right that you pay for something and do not receive the item). My problem is that I need to be 'in the good books' with this Archive because I will need further help from them in the future. But I am still angry! What should I do???
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente. Towns: Rapone, Guardia Sanframondi, San Lorenzo Maggiore
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice please

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D
My advice would be to wait. Your information is probably lost in the mail. If you don't receive something by June, send Matera another email explaining your situation.
A you know, the Archive employees are not employed to do genealogy searches, so feel thrilled they responded to you in a positive way.
If you are familiar with Family History Centers..http://www.archives.com/resources/fhc/australia.html have you researched using their facilities?

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The Archives in Potenza have always done what they said.
In this situation why not email them, stating that you have still not received the copies and ask if they can fax the copies. If you need an Italian fax number you can use mine
Next time you send money enclose an addressed envelope. Addresses are written differently here and they may have addressed the envelope in a way that makes no sense to the American Post Office.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Many thanks for the advice.
Italysearcher, thank you for the fax offer and I will let you know if I need it.

Kindest regards
Nik
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente. Towns: Rapone, Guardia Sanframondi, San Lorenzo Maggiore
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

Wouldn't you know it. As soon as I complain about the delay and the problems I was having getting the military records of my relatives...they have arrived!! So thank you to the Archivio di Potenza for that. And next time I will be a little more patient and more confident that they are trying to provide a good service.
Nick
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Good to hear that you finally got your paperwork. Can I ask exactly how you sent the money they requested?
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by nrepole »

sorry to take so long to reply to your post montclaire..I sent the money (Euro notes) tucked away in an envelope. I have been lucky so far, and it seems to be the best way to get quick results. Money talks!!!!!