Advice where to look on trip to Italy for ancestors

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Advice where to look on trip to Italy for ancestors

Post by Normandie »

My cousin is going to Italy in about 2 weeks. She is going to town our ancestors are from. If any of you have advice as to where she should look. I have found where they born and married. She going to try to find Church they went to when they in Italy. Any advice that I can give her.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Advice where to look on trip to Italy for ancestors

Post by Tessa78 »

You might want to try the Italian Phone Book...
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Where is asks: chi/cosa - Type in the surname (last name)
Where is asks: dove - Type in the town/comune

You should get a list of results in the town giving addresses and telephone numbers...

T.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for reply. I will have to check telephone book for her. We also wanted the name of the Churches. I have two birth certificates and marriage certificate. The marriage certificate says they married by mayor. Is there a wedding at city hall and then at the Church. They were very religious and I am sure there is Church Wedding.

Any advice how to check more on this information. They were married in March 1889 in Altavilla Silentina . They came to New York in May 1890.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The civil marriage at city hall was required for legal purposes. Church wedding was an option, but most Italianss didn't skip this part back then. Although they might have skipped the civil part!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for information. Have learned there are three Churches there. I sent names to my cousin and she will try to find more information.
vinnyz

Post by vinnyz »

The churches typically hold more information than the government facilities. I'm sure you'll get the bulk of the information you need from the church. I'm glad you've narrowed it down to 3 churches. That will make your search so much easier! Good luck and I hope you have a safe trip abroad!
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for reply. She, my cousin, only got to spend part of day in the town so couldn't check the churches. We still don't know.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Since you know the date of the civil marriage request the parish one from the church giving the date of the civil marriage. They were often the same day back then. You would get more genealogical information requesting a photocopy of the civil marriage from the town.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Do have copy of civil marriage document. Just wanted to know Church as might lead to other information like Baptism.
vinnyz

Post by vinnyz »

That's great that you have the civil marriage document! That makes things so much easier. I'm sure the churches will have the records of the baptism, etc. I desperately want to go to Italy to trace back my history. I've been saving for awhile now and am almost ready to go. I just need a little more money, and then I'll be able to plan the details like flights and international travel medical insurance.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Vinnyz obviously sells travel insurance!

Baptism information on parish marriage records vary. Depends on the year and the efficiency of the priest.
Ann Tatangelo