Naturalization documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
oilman19
Master
Master

Naturalization documents

Post by oilman19 »

I have been searching for my Danish/German grandmother. She is the only grandparent I have been unsuccessful in finding.
I believe my last hope to find her birth place may be her naturalization documents. Unfortunately, I have no date, except I believe she was naturalized at the same time as her husband and 1st 2 children.
Is this possible?
Any guidance in this process would be appreciated.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization documents

Post by johnnyonthespot »

oilman19 wrote:Unfortunately, I have no date, except I believe she was naturalized at the same time as her husband and 1st 2 children.
Is this possible?
Any guidance in this process would be appreciated.

Thank you
Jim, what year would we be talking about?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I wish I knew. The only clue I have available is a picture, currently possessed by a cousin in Nevada, of the 4 participants in the Naturalization process. I'm hoping I may be able to glean a date from the picture or some records my cousin may have. Since he was just discharged from the hospital, I hesitate to push him for much info. He is 81 years old with a bad heart.
So, to answer your question, I don't really know if that info is available.
They immigrated in 1905 with their 2 children to Hartford, CT. The rest of their family was born there.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Jim, would you care to share names and any other info (birthdates, etc)?

I can tell you that the National Archives holds index records for Connecticut "Court of Common Pleas" naturalizations (possibly others)however, based on my one experience with this, the reocrds are just that: index entries with minimal detail.

Have you searched Ancestry . com naturalization indexes?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I only tried the name on Ancestry with a general search. I may try that when I get home later.

The names are:
Mathias Andersen
Sorrine Marie Brammer
Ana Batilde Andersen
Eleanora Andersen

I believe they were all naturalized at the same time. Thus, the picture which I don't believe I have ever seen.
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Carmine,
I believe I found her under Marie Andersen
297 Zion St.
Hartford, CT
USDC Hartford, CT
9/30/1925

Apparently the family did not all get naturalized at the same time. Sometimes family lore works and sometimes it doesn't. Thank you for that lead.
Now, can I get a copy of the original application? Is it likely it will provide me some better hints as to her birth location and her parents?

Thank you
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Jim, that is great news!

"USDC" means United States District Court. This is even better news, because the National Archives should have copies of the documents which you can order for just $7.50 and typically receive within a few weeks. If for some strange reason, they cannot find the docs, they will not charge you for the search at all.

Details on how to order are in this earlier post of mine: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... es#p159716
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Carmine
I went directly to that link and started to order the document. The 4th question is "date range", which only goes to 1906. I believe she was naturalized in 1925. I'm already stuck.
Have you had this problem? And, if so, how did you resolve it.
Did I mess up?
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... I don't know.

I would say pick the 1906 choice and then put the information you found with the correct date into the Comments box at the bottom of the form.

As I indicated earlier, there is no charge at all unless the records are found. Also, in my experience, the archivist will telephone you if he has any questions or adivce to offer. So, be sure to give a daytime telephone number if at all possible when setting up your account (or Edit your profile to add one).
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I'll try that.

Thank you for all of your help.
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! :)

It arrived today. I believe I now have my grandmother's birth town. It is Thorstrup, Denmark. Maybe that's where they were married, too.

Carmine, you came through again.

Thank you so very much.
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Great news, Jim.

I am so glad to hear that worked out for you!
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Just an update.

I found her birth record. :)

This is a good day!!!!

Thank you again.
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

oilman19 wrote:
I found her birth record. :)

This is a good day!!!!
Awesome! One little baby step at a time and, before you know it, you have reached your goal. :)
Carmine