Hyphenated Names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Hyphenated Names

Post by bottino »

I am running across a number of hyphenated names. Examples indlucd: Caset-Brach, Bertot-Marietti, Bertot-Porcario, Marietti-Data, Obert-Pol. I am just curious as to the origin of such hyphenated names.
Thanks
Paul
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Hyphenated Names

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Where?

In Italian comune records? In Italians living outside Italy (especially hispanic culture locations such as South America)?

If in Italy, what region? North? South? Sicily?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

Forno Canavese, Torino
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

I am still looking for some help, explaining these hyphenated names. Can someone explain how these come about?
Thanks
Paul
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi Paul,
in Piedmont, in small towns, many people had and have a double family name. The second family name was usually the result of a nickname given in the past to distinguish a family from another having the same family name.In the years those nicknames became official and were added to the family name becoming part of it. The reason was that too many people, having same first name and same family name, were also born in the same year and sometimes same month and day causing a lot of confusion. Nicknames were usually in dialect often related to their occupation, a physical peculiarity, the place their ancestors were from, or simply a nickname.
Some of my ancestors lived near a castle and their nickname was in fact "castle" in Piedmontese.

Hope this helps you.

Ada
bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bottino »

This helps very much. A very clear explanation. Thank you very much.
Paul