grandparents from Serino (Avellino) Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
throgg

grandparents from Serino (Avellino) Italy

Post by throgg »

I'm looking to find information about my grandparents who came from Serino, Italy to America in the late 1800's. My grandfather's name was Michael Luciano and he was married to Filomena Foglia (spelling?). This family eventually produced the following children: (at least some were born in America) Frank, Margaret, Fred, Tom, Charlie, Anne, Mamie, and Joe (my father).
I would appreciate if any members here could provide some assistance.
Thank you,
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: grandparents from Serino (Avellino) Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome! :-)

Can you provide some additional details to aid in the search?
Approx. dates of birth for any of the persons listed above? Preferably Michele and Filomena...
Place of residence in US?

What US records do you already have? US census, manifests, etc?

T.
throgg

Post by throgg »

Thank you for your quick response. I just acquired a copy of the 1920 census. My grandparents eldest daughter, Margaret is listed as Mary, wife of Antonio Brescia living in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Her age is listed as 33 (born about 1887). It is noted that she emigrated to America in 1889 when she would have been 2 yrs old. I'm guessing she came here with her parents, my grand parents. I hope this helps.
Thanks, Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a possible 1900 US Census for the family...

Mike Luciano, 35, born 1864
Mary, wife, 33, b. 1866
Frank, son, 14, born Sept. 1885
Maggie, dtgr, 13, born May 1887
2 sons born in New Jersey
3 children born in Connecticut

They are living on Willard St., Bridgeport Connecticut
They are listed as arriving in 1887...

T.
throgg

Post by throgg »

Thanks again,
I've been wandering through the 1920 and 1930 census' from the other end of the family tree. I have my dad's birth certificate and he was born in 1901. It shows his father as Michael and his mother as Fileamo Folgia. I've assumed that they seriously misspelled her name which I'm guessing was Filomena Foglia. I and old enough to have met several of my uncles and aunts. My best information is that the children line up (oldest to youngest). Frank - 1886, Mary - 1887 (2 of her daughters are still alive and I met with one recently. She is the one you refer to as Maggie. The difficult thing for me is that all during my youth I referred to her as Aunt Maggie) Her daughter Florence assured me her real name is Mary. Then Charles- 1891, Thomas - 1893, Fred (my birth godfather - 1895, Anna, Mamie, and finally Joe, my dad - 1901. I need to examine the 1900 census document that you've sent to me and try to square up the dates and other details. Thanks once again for your effort.
Joe Luciano
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe,

The Census records are notoriously inaccurate :-)
Names were terribly misspelled by people who could not understand accents. In addition, many immigrants were illiterate and could not write or spell.
Use them with that in mind...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this record for the death of Filomena Foglia...
Could this be wife of Michael Luciano?
No image here... May be worth requesting from Conn. vital records.

Name: Filomena Foglia
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Death Date: 16 Oct 1906
Death Place: West Haven, Connecticut
Birthplace:
Race:
Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B03306-7
System Origin: Connecticut-EASy
Source Film Number: 3124
Reference Number:
Collection: Connecticut Deaths and Burials, 1772-1934
throgg

Post by throgg »

Thanks for this latest information. I will pursue it. I live in California but I have a brother living in Fairfield, Connecticut.
I'll let you know the outcome.
Joe
throgg

Post by throgg »

I came across a census from 1920 that shows my grandfather and grandmother, Philomena along with my dad and another daughter, Mary that I never knew was alive. Her birth year is indicated as 1904 (three years after my dad, Joe. Therefore the woman Filomena Foglia that died in West Haven, Ct is not related.
I noticed in the same census that there were a lot of families listed at the same address as my grandfather, Michael Lucianno (the spelling here with 2 n's is an obvious error). One of the families is my Uncle, Fred Lucianno. Between them on the listing (at the same addfess) is the family of Alex and Anna Marzina. Is it possible that she is my dad's sister that is shown to have been born only one year different from and earlier listing of my grandfather's family?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

deleted - duplicate to one below :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Between them on the listing (at the same addfess) is the family of Alex and Anna Marzina. Is it possible that she is my dad's sister that is shown to have been born only one year different from and earlier listing of my grandfather's family?
Certainly a good possibility...
Maybe you can search for a marriage record - at least you have the approx. date (between 1910 and 1920 Census :-) ), and the oldest child is 2 years old.

T.
throgg

Post by throgg »

Thanks, I have verified that she is Michael Luciano's daughter