What documents to request from Italy (dual citizenship)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

What documents to request from Italy (dual citizenship)

Post by Squigy »

I've recently decided, after I move to TX, I would like to start the process of acquiring dual citizenship.

I'm trying to make a checklist of what documents I need to get, and things like that. I know I need my GG grandfather, Giuseppe's, birth record from Italy, but is there something specific I need to put in my letter to make sure it's legal (I'm using the Circolo Calabrese form letter)? Is there a fee I have to pay for this?

Also, is there another way to get Giuseppe's birth record other than snail mail? I sent two letters over the course of late 2009, early 2010, and never received a reply. I know someone with a fax machine, and I WOULD ask to use it, but that's so expensive. I was reading about something called internet fax, does anyone know how these work?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting this process. I hope you'll all be here to answer my questions along the way!

Thanks!!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: What documents to request from Italy (dual citizenship)

Post by Squigy »

Okay, just to add, I decided to take a gamble and sign up for a free trial with a site called eFax.com It seems legitimate, but one major complaint people had was that it wouldn't let you cancel. So what I did, was I signed up with a visa gift card someone sent me for my birthday, that way they can't keep billing me.

The way I figure, the worst that can happen is I'm out 20 bucks and my fax doesn't get sent. I honestly think it DID get sent, but I'm hoping I'm still able to cancel before the trial is up (I mean, 20 dollars is still 20 dollars).

I'll let you all know how it turns, and whether it gets a thumbs up or down!
My Italian surnames:

ianiro

Post by ianiro »

You can fax any scanned document for free at faxzero.com, or at least you could a few months ago when I used it.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

ianiro wrote:You can fax any scanned document for free at faxzero.com, or at least you could a few months ago when I used it.
I looked it up. It says the faxes are free, but they include an AD on the coverpage.

At any rate, I've faxed all the people I needed to (I actually faxed someone I know, and he said he got it, so it definitely WORKS) and emptied my gift card, so when they try to take the money out, they won't be able to, and it will probably automatically cancel.

It was actually pretty handy when I had it, though. Only problem is, I haven't received replies from the Comuni I faxed :?
My Italian surnames: