Belmonte Mezzagno, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Nikki4189

Belmonte Mezzagno, Sicily

Post by Nikki4189 »

I know this is such a long shot....

My great grandparents both came to America from Belmonte Mezzagno, Sicily. Unfortunately the trail stops there. I know they must have had brothers and sisters and my wish is to find out the names of my great great grandparents. My question is, how do I go about retrieving information that is most likely in Belmonte Mezzagno if at all. Is it even possible? Do I email the city LOL! Do I write them? I had an ancestry.com subscription for quite a while and unfortunately on any records I could find there, is no information on my great grandparents immediate family. Im looking for information on Giustina/Giuseppina/Guiseppina ASCIUTTO and Joseph/Guiseppe/Giuseppe BOTTINO. I appreciate any pointers you could give me!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Belmonte Mezzagno, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you tried using the microfilms at your nearest LDS Family History Center?

The Mormon Church (LDS) has filmed the records of Belmonte Mezzagno, Palermo, and has available for rent to view... Births, marriages, deaths, etc. from 1820 to 1902.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... i+Belmonte+++

You will need to find your nearest FHC, go there to order films, then return to view them at the FHC using their microfilm viewers. Rental is about $5.50 per month. Be aware that the records are in Italian...

To find the nearest FHC, enter your zip code at bottom of the page at this link...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/

T.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Hi Nikki,
My relatives came from Belmonte Mezzagno as well.
I have all the films on indefinite.
I am happy to look up some records for you.
Do you have birth dates for your relatives?
Did thet settle in Philadelphia, PA?

Thanks,
Joann
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

Hi Joann,

Could you please see if you have records for Elizabetta Buttacavoli, b. 11 May 1860? Father was Giovanni Buttacavoli and mother was Nicolina Varnace. She married Antonino Fero b. 1862. He may have been born in San Cipirello.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

And just for reference, yes, there is always the option of writing to the comune and requesting copies of the records. This service is nearly always provided at no charge.

Requests should be in Italian; there are many threads here on this subject and form letters can be found here:

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

The address to write to is:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Belmonte Mezzagno
Piazza Libertà
90031 Belmonte Mezzagno (PA)
ITALY

email: statocivile@comune.belmonte.pa.it (remove the spaces)
web: http://www.comune.belmonte.pa.it/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

Thank you
I wrote , in Italian ,on 3/6/2011 to Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Belmonte Mezzagno
Via G. Matteotti 5
90031 Belmonte Mezzagno(PA), Italia

Is this address wrong? Is it to soon to expect a reply?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Why not email the comune using the email address that Carmine has provided above and see if they received your request? :D

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

With a population of only about 10,000 persons and an area of about 11 square miles (less than 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 miles), I think it reasonable to assume that the local mailman knows where the municipal offices are located.

Using either address, I am sure your letter arrived.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

I didn't try email because of the language barrier.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naples13 »

rdiben wrote:Hi Joann,

Could you please see if you have records for Elizabetta Buttacavoli, b. 11 May 1860? Father was Giovanni Buttacavoli and mother was Nicolina Varnace. She married Antonino Fero b. 1862. He may have been born in San Cipirello.

I would be very curious to see the results. Recently I found a marriage record from Manhattan of Giovanni LaRosa to Maria Paraina. Giovanni's parents were Gugliclino and Angela (Buttacavoli) from Belmonte. Perhaps Angela was a sister to your Elizabetta?

I, myself am waiting on a few records from Belmonte through the LDS...trying to be patient...is rough. Giovanni LaRosa and his Manhattan bride both came from Belmonte.

Maria's parents are listed as Benedetto & Giuseppa (DiPaola).
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

I don't know if Elizabetta had a sister.I might be wrong about her mother's maiden name. It could be Chinnici. Has anyone ever come across this surname?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

rdiben wrote:I don't know if Elizabetta had a sister.I might be wrong about her mother's maiden name. It could be Chinnici. Has anyone ever come across this surname?
The Italian White Pages show 72 entries for Chinnici in Belmonte Mezzagno. See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &td=2&l=en
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

Thanks for looking that up for me. Now it's got some legitamicy.
kbrooks8

Post by kbrooks8 »

My great grandfather was Filippo Chinnici, who arrived in St. Louis, MO from Belmonte Mezzagno in 1900. In 1902, he married Vincenzia Mazzola.
rdiben

Post by rdiben »

Have you done any genealogy on Filippo? I'm looking for relatives of Nicoletta Chinnici b. 1839. Married
Giovanni Buttacavoli. Niether came to America.