Sicilian grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BobandNancy

Sicilian grandparents

Post by BobandNancy »

We are searching for information on Bob's grandparents from Sicily. Have found some but we are having trouble reading the handwritten records. We would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Grandfather: Rosario Joseph Miceli, born 22 July 1886 in Vallelunga, died 18 Feb 1953 in Stamford, CT, USA. Grandmother: Maria La Rosa, born in 1883 in Termini Imerese, died 1943/1944 in Stamford, CT, USA. They arrived in the US in approximately 1906. They were both supposedly from large families, but we're having a hard time finding any records. Thank you for any help in solving the mystery of where they were from and whether there are any family members still living in Sicily.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Re: Sicilian grandparents

Post by TriciaFierro »

I think this may be the ship manifest for Rosario. I will search for the grandmother now but this manifest notes that Rosario was from the town you mention above and he was leaving a brother (can't read name) behind in that town and going to see his uncle in Stamford CT. Does this look accurate to you? He is on the last line of Pg 1&2 of the manifest, Line #30:

Name: Rosario Miccli
Arrival Date: 6 Aug 1907
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birth Location: Cattina
Birth Location Other: valleborg
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Hamburg
Rosaio Micelli Ship Maifest Pg1.jpg
Rosario Micelli Ship Manifest Pg2.jpg
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Nancy, you don't mention if they were married in Italy or in the US, but I found this ship manifest for Maria la Rosa and it looks like she came over with her mother and two sisters and they were going to Stamford, CT leaving behind her father Giovanni La Rosa. She was single when she arived and 24 yrs old. birth town is Termini. The manifest records start on line #23 for the mother, Maria is line #24 and her sisters are line #25 and #26. Could this be a match?

Name: Maria La Rosa
Arrival Date: 31 Dec 1906
Birth Year: abt 1882
Birth Location: Tereeam
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Cedric
Maria la Rosa Ship Manifest.jpg
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BobandNancy wrote:We are searching for information on Bob's grandparents from Sicily. Have found some but we are having trouble reading the handwritten records. We would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Grandfather: Rosario Joseph Miceli, born 22 July 1886 in Vallelunga, died 18 Feb 1953 in Stamford, CT, USA. Grandmother: Maria La Rosa, born in 1883 in Termini Imerese, died 1943/1944 in Stamford, CT, USA. They arrived in the US in approximately 1906. They were both supposedly from large families, but we're having a hard time finding any records. Thank you for any help in solving the mystery of where they were from and whether there are any family members still living in Sicily.

Why not post the records here... we have a great collection of volunteers who can read those records for you :-D

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Why not post the records here... we have a great collection of volunteers who can read those records for you
YES...and Tessa is one of those volunteers that is GREAT at translating those records! Me, I can find them, but my buddies on here need to translate for me :mrgreen:
Tricia Fierro
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I think my second to last post got lost in cybrspace so I'm asking the question again, sorry if I am repeating myself, but Nancy do you have the names of the children of Rosario and Maria. This would be helpful in finding more records for you. Thanks!
Tricia Fierro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This record for birth of Rosario Miceli - 1886 - Vallelunga Pratameno, Caltanissetta, Sicily.

On 23 July 1886 at 4:30 PM at the town hall, before the official of Vallelunga, appeared Vincenzo Miceli, 50, shoemaker, residing in Vallelunga, to declare that at 1:10 AM on 22nd of July at the house at Via Cisterna, to Mariantonia Gugino, his wife, 40, living with him, was born a male child to whom they gave the name Rosario.

Witnesses to this act were Angelo Giardino, 48, landowner; and Giuseppe Ferranti, 46, barber.

The witnesses signed the act with the official.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found possible siblings of Rosario in the Birth Indexes for Vallelunga...

1880 - #69 Maria Teresa
1882 - #162 Salvatore
1884 - #145 Loreto

They all have Vincenzo Miceli listed as father in the index (that is NOT to say they all have the SAME Vincenzo Miceli as their father!)

Here is record for Maria Teresa

Dated 22 February 1880 (child was born on the 21st)
Father Vincenzo Miceli, son of Vincenzo, 43 and a shoemaker
Mother is Mariantonia Gugino, 36, his wife
Same witnesses are listed that you see on Rosario's birth act.

Notations in marigin
1 - Marriage in Vallelunga on 27 December 190X to Giuseppe Txxx
2 - Maria died on 8 April 1943 in Vallelunga

Bottom right...

T.
BobandNancy

Post by BobandNancy »

You all are amazing!!! Tessa - Thank you so much. That is the record we found for Rosario's birth. We guessed at the parents' names, but couldn't make out the rest. That is perfect. I think you're also right about Maria, Salvatore and Loreto. By blind luck we found what could be Vincenzo's death in 1904, but again, couldn't read it all. Unfortunately, all of Maria and Rosario's children are gone (Antoinette, James, John, Liboria, Salvatore (Bob's father), Josephine, Rose, and Rosario,Jr). And they didn't remember much when we started this research about 10 years ago. They had heard stories of marriage in Italy or in US, so not sure about that. So now we get to the speculation/family stories, etc. According to Rosario's obituary in 1953, he was survived by a brother and 2 sisters still living in Italy. We know next to nothing about Maria, wish we had a date of birth. The story was that she and all her siblings, except a sister (Nina) and her parents, came to the US. Every month the Miceli's grocery store received a shipment of olive oil from Nina and her parents in Termini - Bob's father remembered that it came with a label saying LaRosa on it. The LaRosa siblings were named (we think), Pete, Rose, Mary, Nina, Maria, and up to 5 more, supposedly all male.
Tricia, thanks to you too. Think you may be right on the ship manifests.
Thank you all so much for your help - we've made more progress in one day than in 10 years!
Nancy and Bob
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to help! :-D

Since you have Maria's approx. date of birth, a possible last name, and a possible place of birth ---- why not write directly to Termini Imerese to request her birth record.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Duomo, 1
90018 Termini Imerese (PA)
ITALY

You will need to write your request in Italian...
Help with letters:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

By blind luck we found what could be Vincenzo's death in 1904, but again, couldn't read it all.
I looked up this death record. It is not your Vincenzo.
This record #29 dated 18 March 1904.
It is the death record of a 3 month old child.
Parents are Pietro Miceli, a shoemaker; and Concetta Piscitello, spinner.

Probably related to your Miceli family, but definitely not Rosario's father. :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This is the death record for Rosario's brother Salvatore.
He was born in 1882, and died in 1902.

His age is listed as 19 years on the record, and he is a shoemaker.
His parents are listed as the deceased Vincenzo Miceli, and Mariantonia Gugino.
Record of death is dated 20 April 1902, and he died on that date.

Click the image once to enlarge...and again to magnify.
Bottom right record...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Death Record for Vincenzo Miceli, age 54 (ages vary and are not very accurate), shoemaker.
Husband of Mariantonia Gugino
Son of deceased Vincenzo, and Rosalia Cammarata, living and residing in Vallelunga.

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Happy to help! It always feels good to help folks find some missing pieces :D
Tricia Fierro
Rkenney92

Post by Rkenney92 »

Hi I have been trying to help my Grandmother find information on her family. She believes you may be related? What was the name of your Grandparent children?