Success in Houston

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Success in Houston

Post by Squigy »

NOLATom wrote:
Squigy wrote:Thanks so much! This is a BIG help!

So what you're saying is, I only need direct line documents, but ALL the American ones have to be translated? So, for instance, since I'm getting citizenship through my mother's ancestry, I don't need my father's birth record?

You're welcome.

To answer your questions, Yes and Yes. I had everyone's documents with apostille and translation, but they did not even want to look at them. They only want direct line as they say in the "scheme", which I found on the website. I'll paste it below. Notice it says Mother or Father (whichever one you're claiming through) and only those. They will ask for them one by one, write the info down and put it in a folder. Just that simple.

Specimen of information to be submitted on requesting the guide lines

Grand father (or great-grand father or simply father : any male ancestor born in Italy*):
information: full name
place and date of birth
place and date of marriage
place and date of death
place and date of naturalization (if applicable)**

father or mother (it depends on which ancestor is taken into consideration):
information: full name (maiden name for women)
place and date of birth
place and date of marriage
place and date of death
place and date of naturalization (if applicable)

applicant:
information: full name (maiden name for women)
place and date of birth
place and date of marriage (if applicable)
place and date of US (or other Country) naturalization (if applicable)
current address and, for non US citizen: copy of US visa/ green card and driver license.

* female ancestors can pass on the Italian citizenship only to offspring born after Jan. 1, 1948.

** if the ancestor never naturalized, please write that he did not
Okay, great!! This going to be cheaper than I thought, actually.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Traveler7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Traveler7 »

Couple of questions for you guys. How long did it take to receive your passport after the appointment at the Houston Consulate? Also, does the Naturalization Certificate need to be apostilled (and translated)? Thanks!
ianiro

Post by ianiro »

For the naturalization cert, my ggf never naturalized so I didn't have to turn one in but if I remember correctly it does not need to have an apostille.

As for my passport I have not had that appointment yet because I am still waiting for my birth cert from Italy. I will let you know how this process goes once I complete it.
ianiro

Post by ianiro »

Here is a link to where you can buy the book and will also give you all the info about it...

http://www.amazon.com/Storia-Centuries- ... 0060924411
Traveler7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Traveler7 »

I just emailed Daniele regarding if the Certificate of Naturalization needs to be apostilled and translated. I received an automated reply stating that they are not taking new applications for citizenship until November 2011. Anybody know anything about this?
joe1220

Post by joe1220 »

Hello all, thanks for all the information, however how did you contact the consulate to setup the appointment? Phone ? Email ? I couldn't get through via the phone so I went to the office in person and was told to use the online system. The online system is very clunky and not sure if it is accurate. The earliest appointment per the online system is months from now. If anyone doesn't mind, can you send me any direct phone number or email addresses you used? For example, someone mentioned emailing Daniele? Do you have his / her email address please.

Appreciate it, Joe Izzo
ianiro

Post by ianiro »

Hey Joe,

I emailed Monica and asked if i could make an appointment to come in. She asked me to pick a date from the few she offered me and I went a few weeks later, so assuming they aren't too backed up you should be okay. They only do citizenship appointments one day a week for 3 hours. Email Monica Pescatori and tell her you need to make an appointment to come in and turn in all your documents and she'll tell you what you need to do. Her email is cittadinanza.houston@esteri.it and she is great. Everyone at the consulate is very friendly and helpful, I am very familiar with Monica e Giulia. Buona fortuna, if you have any other questions let me know. Buona notte
joe1220

Post by joe1220 »

Thanks "ianiro" for the advice. I did finally get in touch with Monica via email but she referred me to the clunky online appointment system. How well do you know Monica, good enough to get me an inside scoop or at least on the VIP waiting list? :-)

I'm only half kidding. However, the appointment system does not show any open appointments for at least 5 months.

Any help would be appreciated however I may just have to be patient and check daily / weekly.

Joe

ianiro wrote:Hey Joe,

I emailed Monica and asked if i could make an appointment to come in. She asked me to pick a date from the few she offered me and I went a few weeks later, so assuming they aren't too backed up you should be okay. They only do citizenship appointments one day a week for 3 hours. Email Monica Pescatori and tell her you need to make an appointment to come in and turn in all your documents and she'll tell you what you need to do. Her email is cittadinanza.houston@esteri.it and she is great. Everyone at the consulate is very friendly and helpful, I am very familiar with Monica e Giulia. Buona fortuna, if you have any other questions let me know. Buona notte