Traveling to Caulonia from Positano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Traveling to Caulonia from Positano

Post by lynnef »

I'll be visiting Italy in the next few years, and one of the places I'm hoping to visit is Caulonia where my MGGF and MGGM were born. We'll be staying in Positano, and I'm unsure of the best way to get to Caulonia from there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
Lynne
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Traveling to Caulonia from Positano

Post by lynnef »

Hmm...no one can help?! :(
Lynne
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I don't think this is going to be very easy, no matter how you do it.

More than six hours by car - see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... e=UTF8&z=7 - and I have read that tourists should be mindful of driving through some of these areas; I have read that but have no idea how much of a concern it might really be.

You could also look into taking Trenitalia (train) from Salerno to Caulonia: http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/nppPri ... 1&x=32&y=7
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks for your reply, Carmine. Yes, I agree...the trip over to Caulonia will not be an easy venture! I doubt we'll be renting a car while in Italy. The train sounds good. So, in order to get to Salerno from Positano, would it be best to go by ferry? bus? Thanks again. I'd like to get an idea ahead of time as far as ways of travel so we know what we're in store for. :wink:
Lynne
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

So long as you understand that I am as clueless as you might be, but perhaps a little more experienced as a researcher...

Here is one possible ferry from Positano to Salerno:

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/serviz ... vo=Salerno

If I read it correctly, the ferry operates from April through October. It leaves Positano daily at 10:00 AM, 12:00 noon, 1:30, 3:30, 5:00, and 6:30 PM. The cost is €11 per person. I have no idea how long the trip takes. :)

This is just one ferry line; there may be others that operate along the same route on a different schedule.

I would imagine that you could travel Positano -> Salerno by bus as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

We're hoping to firm up our travel plans within the year. We're in the very early planning stages at this point, but know we'd enjoy being near the water and definitely want to visit Calabria.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

You've been a great help, Carmine...thanks again! :)
Lynne
roxbeemoody

Post by roxbeemoody »

Hello:

My husband, daughter and I just returned from Italy last Saturday. We rented a car in Venice and drove to Palermo, Sicily.

Look on Google maps. Most of your trip would be on the autostrada. These are like interstate highways, with rest stops along the way. We drove from south of Salerno to Messina, Sicily in one day, stopping along the way for lunch and pictures.

The only thing -- don't pack a lot of stuff and take everything out of the car at night.

Good luck.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

If you just wanted to visit Positano, I'd tell you to go by plane to train and bus, or train and boat (depending on the season). That because you would also have a great problem for parking, there! But if you want to go round, and above all if you want to go to Calabria, I'd tell you to go by car. Public means of transport (train) can take you to the station, but in Calabria it often happens (I've never been to Caulonia, but that can be the case) that stations are some km from the village; it's not likely that you find taxis, and buses are few.
I also want to tell you that this is not Far West; it is not dangerous to travel; you'll only have to take care (as Roxbeemoody said) not to leave luggage or cameras or anything valuable in your car. Cities can be dangerous, but small places are generally quiet. And Positano is Paradise!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.