Does my daughter qualify for EU stdent loans?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Does my daughter qualify for EU stdent loans?

Post by corrado »

We just recieved the citizenship though Chicago, but we all live here. My daughter wants to go to grad school in England next year. Loans for this are a mystery to me. I guess she can get a Stafford loan, but would she qualify for a EU loan even though we don't live in europe? I would suppose not, but I have to ask on the chance that it could work.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Does my daughter qualify for EU stdent loans?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

From what I have read at other sites like ExpatsInItaly http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/index.php, she will be entitled to all the educational benefits accorded to any other citizen, regardless of whether you/she have ever lived in the EU.

Possibly some useful information here http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/student/fees_s ... upport.php

and here http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm

and here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /index.htm

and, especially, here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /index.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vinnyz

Post by vinnyz »

That's really cool that she would still qualify for loans even though she lives in the States. That's the benefits of dual citizenship! You get the best of both worlds! I think there are lots of other issues when you're planning on going to school overseas. Everything like student insurance needs to be internationally compliant, etc. It looks like you're being meticulous about your research, so I think you'll be set.
vinnyz

Post by vinnyz »

I just wanted to check back and see if your daughter was able to get her EU student loans. Going to college is such an exciting time; I'm excited for her! I think you can just fill out all the forms online now. It's so much easier than it used to be. Don't forget to make everything else internationally compliant, like her international student health insurance. She'll need it.
jim1909

Post by jim1909 »

vinnyz wrote:I just wanted to check back and see if your daughter was able to get her EU student loans. Going to college is such an exciting time; I'm excited for her! I think you can just fill out all the forms online now. It's so much easier than it used to be. Don't forget to make everything else internationally compliant, like her international student health insurance. She'll need it. Student Loan
I also have a daughter about to go through the same thing. We also just received citizenship and I am wondering about EU loans. Let me know what happened with your daughter as it will be very helpful to me.

Thanks,

-Jim
andreeais22

Post by andreeais22 »

I think that yes, she can qualify for this loans because afterall she has european citizenship, right?
dtremit

Post by dtremit »

My understanding is that it gets a bit more complicated in the UK -- you have to consider both residency and citizenship in some cases. I have a friend who is in a similar situation -- she is an American living in the UK who acquired German citizenship through her grandfather. She has found in some cases that she doesn't qualify for anything -- she doesn't qualify for the UK student scholarships because she doesn't hold UK citizenship, she doesn't qualify for the EU student scholarships because she's resident in the UK, and she doesn't qualify for the scholarships for non-EU students because she's a German citizen. US student loans have been the most reliable source for her.

So I recommend studying the rules of specific scholarship and loan programs carefully -- there may be some things she needs to apply for before she leaves, or others she can't apply for until she's already there. With major budget cuts to education in the UK, things may also be changing somewhat.
mainey

Post by mainey »

Too bad. I believe in Scotland or most of Europe they pay for free education if you're a citizen.
corrado wrote:We just recieved the citizenship though Chicago, but we all live here. My daughter wants to go to grad school in England next year. Loans for this are a mystery to me. I guess she can get a Stafford loan, but would she qualify for a EU loan even though we don't live in europe? I would suppose not, but I have to ask on the chance that it could work.