Finding a comune for my grandmother?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Finding a comune for my grandmother?

Post by tomassid »

I'm looking for ideas on where to go next. My grandmother was born in Italy, her parents were married in the comune of Chieti, both her parents were born in that same comune. My grandmother's parents were back and forth from the US to Italy, but the ship manifest shows my grandmother arriving with her mother when she was 5mths old, says birth was Italy, hometown Chieti. I wrote to the comune of Chieti for the birth record. Her BD was Feb 2, 1911 and FHC microfilm only goes back to 1900. Chieti said they had no record. Her father became a US citizen in 1907, so she doesn't have Naturalization papers here in the US and her ss app simply says born in Italy. Any idea's on where to search?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Finding a comune for my grandmother?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I wonder if you might share with us exactly what you asked Chieti and exactly what was their response?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

I am trying to attach the letters but I am getting a "Board attachment quota has been reached". Can I email you the attachments?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I try not to waste too much of my life sleeping, but you caught me doing just that. :oops:

Go to http://postimage.org, click the Browse button, find the image files on your drive. Make certain "Family Safe" is set and then click the Upload button.

After upload is complete, click the Copy to Clipboard button alongside "Thumbnail for Forums (1)". Come back to the forum here and paste the link into a message.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

Carmine, here is their response 1) the letter they sent back and 2) attachment that came with the letter and looks like a certified birth record. I'm thinking now that this is the birth cert, do you agree? I truly appreciate your help.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

tomassid wrote:... I'm thinking now that this is the birth cert, do you agree? I truly appreciate your help.
Indeed it is! :D

Basically, in the registry of births for the year 1911, number 99, in Chieti on the 6th of February, 1911 was born a baby of sex female named Picciani (?) Giuseppina (?) daughter of Picciani Pasquale and (I'm sorry, I can't make out the mother's name)

Congratulations!
Carmine

tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

Thank you so much for your help. I would not have realized it if you wouldn't have asked me to scan it! I thought the slashes on the Annotations meant they had no information.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

tomassid wrote:Thank you so much for your help. I would not have realized it if you wouldn't have asked me to scan it! I thought the slashes on the Annotations meant they had no information.
The slashes (or on typed or computer-printed certificates, the single word "Nessuna") mean there were no annotations to add to the basic record. On a good day, you might find notes concerning the subject's eventual marriage (spouse's name, age, and birthplace, where and when the marriage took place), and/or death.

You were sent an estratto, or extract, of the actual birth record. If you had requested a "Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita" instead you would have received a photocopy of the original handwritten registry record. Besides the info on the estratto, a copia integrale would include the parents' ages and occupations, the time of birth, and the street name (and possibly house number) where the birth took place (usually the mother's home). If there was a midwife, her name may or may not show here as well.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: I sent you a PM; please be sure to read it.

Look near the top of this page for the "User Control Panel (1 new messages) • View your posts" link.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

johnnyonthespot wrote:Indeed it is! :D

Basically, in the registry of births for the year 1911, number 99, in Chieti on the 6th of February, 1911 was born a baby of sex female named Picciani (?) Giuseppina (?) daughter of Picciani Pasquale and (I'm sorry, I can't make out the mother's name)

Actually, I think it reads the 4th of February. Sorry about that.
Carmine