Death record - what is her surname?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Death record - what is her surname?

Post by bkworm10 »

This is the death record of my 4G grandmother - Mary Maddelena ??? Is it Matteo? Massio? Maffio? I have other records where her surname is listed (and I can send them if you need further clarification), but I am not familiar at all with this surname to determine what it is for sure. She came from the town of Stigliano and this was included as part of her son's processetti.

http://postimage.org/image/2hnonl21w/

Also, it appears she died in 1849 on August 5. Is that correct? Or is it August 4 and it was reported on August 5? Is her profession contadina (peasant farmer)?

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Death record - what is her surname?

Post by adelfio »

Aug 4th 1849 Maddalena Maffio age 60 daughter of Domenica Antonio Maffio mother not known ignoto

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks Marty! So you think those are f's and not s's? I know that s's can look a lot like f's.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In present-day Stigliano you will find spelling "Maffeo" and "Maffei"...

In Basilicata Region you will also find Maffia.

This site :-)
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... icata.html

T.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks so much! When I move to a new town, even one that's closeby, I find it's harder to determine the new surnames sometimes. I'm really used to the ones in Accettura, now that I have seen thousands of records from that town.