Question regarding stamps on a Passenger List

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vino_verno

Question regarding stamps on a Passenger List

Post by vino_verno »

So I've found, what I believe to be, the passenger list for my Great Great Grandmother, my Great Grandfather, and 2 of his siblings. When looking over the information earlier today (I had found this document several months ago and never noticed this next item) I saw that there are 2 different stamped dates next to 3 of the names.

My family immigrated to the US in 1916, but these dates are from 1938 and 1940. The only person who does not have a stamp on their line is my Great Grandfather. His brother has the stamp dated 1938, and his mother and sister both share a stamp for the same date in 1940.

Any ideas as to what these stamps may be for since it is so far past their immigration to the US? Possibly from them becoming Naturalized Citizens (I am unsure as to whether they become citizens or not)?

Any help would be much appreciated.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question regarding stamps on a Passenger List

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Sounds like you are referring to Certificate of Arrival notations. See "What was a Certificate of Arrival?" here http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/faq.html

Here is an example of handwritten notations; I have also seen them where the numbers were handwritten and the date was rubber stamped:

Click to enlarge.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vino_verno

Post by vino_verno »

That looks like that's it. There is a combination of handwritten notes similar to the image you shared along with the rubber stamp in pretty much the same location.

So now I would guess that points to my Great Grandfather not becoming a Naturalized Citizen. Does it become a lot harder to prove that he never became Naturalized if I were to start doing everything I need for Dual Citizenship?

Thanks for all the help so far!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Proving a negative is difficult, no matter the branch of science you are working in.

The consulate will usually require, at a minimum:

a) "No Record Found" letter from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

b) "No Record Found" letter from the US National Archives.

c) "No Record Found" letters the state or county courts having jurisdiction over each area in which he ever resided.

d) Certified copy of the US census for the period immediately prior to and after your grandfather's birth. Both of these censuses should indicate that great-grandfather was an alien ("AL") or had only filed first papers ("PA") in the naturalization column. If either of these censuses indicates "NA"(Naturalized), then be prepared for trouble.

Do you have great-grandfather's death certificate yet? There is usually a notation there concerning citizenship status. How about censuses? We can probably find the 1920 and 1930 ones for you if you share great-grandparents names, years of birth, and place of residence.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vino_verno

Post by vino_verno »

I do not have his death certificate yet, but I do not think it would be too hard to acquire.

I have found both the 1920 and 1930 Census records for my great-grandfather, and both have him (and the rest of his family) as being Aliens under the section for their Citizenship. My Grandfather was born in 1936 so I would have to wait until next year I guess when the 1940 Census is released.

The only problem I guess I have with the Census records is that upon arriving in the US, the family took on anglicized names including a changing of the last name.

So while the Passenger list and what I would assume his birth certificate would say (I haven't contacted the commune about this yet) for his name is Sabastiano Galante, the Census Records and even the Social Security Death Index over at Ancestry.com have him listed as his anglicized name, Samuel Galando.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You don't absolutely have to wait for the 1940 census...

Go to http://www.census.gov/history/www/refer ... cords.html and click the "BC-600" link in the 2nd paragraph. Not cheap, but doable.

The anglicized names are another matter. If they appear on birth, marriage, and/or death records, you may find the consulate balking; this is one of those areas where each consulate has its own opinion as to what is acceptable/unacceptable.
Carmine