Molina in Cittanova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
swashington

Molina in Cittanova

Post by swashington »

Hello! I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. I am trying to find information on my great grandad and his dad... I have done research online but have come to a frustrating standstill. I have found my dad's Grandfather, Luigi Molina from Cittanova. That is it. Luigi Molina has two sons listed as coming to America: Giovanni Battista MOlina(DOB about 1888) first in 1911 with his wife Maria Rosa. Then they sent for Giovanni's brother, Joseph Molina (DOB 1900) and he came across in 1915.

I cannot find any other children from Luigi Molina. I am not sure if he ever came across to America as I do not see any records so I am assuming he stayed in italy. But I have to imagine that they have had more than two children! I wonder if they stayed in Italy.

Are there sources to find the marriage and birth records that we can utilize and view online here in US . I do plan on taking a trip there but would like to gathera s much information as I could first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Molina in Cittanova

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website. Couple of questions for you is this Giovanni Battista Molina draft record WW I from NJ? Where did they live in the USA?
click on link
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1787 ... molina.jpg

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
swashington

Post by swashington »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to the website. Couple of questions for you is this Giovanni Battista Molina draft record WW I from NJ? Where did they live in the USA?
click on link
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1787 ... molina.jpg

Marty
Thank you so much for your assistance Marty!

I wish I could attach a documnet so I could show you what I have. I dont think the document you sent was a relation. Giovanni Battista Molina lived in Brooklyn. I have his WWI draft registration. It lists the address on douglas Avenue where they first resided and he lists my grandad as his contact (his brother who lived with him). I believe for the most part they stayed in brooklyn. Also Giovannis wife was Maria Rosa, they came over together and he was listed as single on that too soon after I believe because they had children for a while together once in the states.

My luck is just stopping at having Luigi Molina listed as the father to Giovanni Battista (My great uncle) on the passenger list when he came over in 1911. I am on Ancestry but cannot seem to find other documents, even in Italian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found the card of Giovanni Battista Molina who lived in Brooklyn. Birth date 12/4/1883
draft card
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8199/johnbmolina.jpg

Ship manifest 1911 Lines 13,14 Giovanni Battista Molina left father Luigi Molina in Cittanova wife of Giovanni is Maria Rosa Lustri`both born in Cittanova says on page 2 of manifest
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3066/johnship.jpg
Cittanova is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Reggio Calabria in the Italian region Calabria
There are micro films available for Cittanova from Family History Library for viewing there at the library for rental for $5.75 a month
FHL Locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering films
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
films available from Cittanova 1809- 1865 birth, death, and marriage records should be able to find Luigi birth record I say if Giovanni was born in 1883 he would have been 20-35 years old birth abt 1850-1863
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Cittanova++
Reading Italian records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
The other records Giovanni, Maria Rosa Lustri you will have to write to Cittanova because they dont have those years to get those if you need help just ask on here for info on writing italian letters for records to Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
swashington

Post by swashington »

Such great info Marty, thanks! I know a bit of Italian but advancing my skills and I would most defintely need help letter writing so once I get this together I will be asking for help :) I did find the passenger list and I didnt even pick up on the Lustri. So that was Maria's maiden name I assume.

I have a question, Guiseppe Molina (joseph) is my grandfather. Giovanni is actually his brother. I have been searching for anything to do wtih my grandfather and cannot seem to find except for a 1930 US census record. I know he came over in 1915 ( a few years after his brother) it says on the census as well as the 1920 census where Giovanni was Head of Household, maria rosa was the wife, lists the children and my grandfather, Guiseppe staying with them. I cannot find any details of his coming over, no passenger records or anything. I thought maybe if i can find this as well it may help shed some more light on the history. Would you have any thoughts on this? I just have my grandad as coming in 1915 and his year of birth was 1900.

Once again thank you for taking the time to assist, it is appreciated!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres a draft for you to send for birth records to Cittanova need your name and the ending for email address and the cash for return postage and copy fee if they need it
Comune di Cittanova
Viale Aldo Moro n.1
89022 Cittanova (RC)
ITALY

Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo (YOURNAME) Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho biosgno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Cittanova Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’atto di nascita di queste persone nei vostri registri .
Nome e cognome: Giovanni Battista Molina
Data di nascita: deciembre 4 1883
Luogo di nascita: Cittanova
Nome e cognome del padre: Luigi Molina
Moglie
Nome e cognome: Maria Rosa Lustri
Data di nascita: circa 1886
Vi chiedo di spedirmi l’ delle fotocopie atto di nascita di queste persone.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Accludo 10 euros, nel casa questa somma non fosse sufficiente, Vi prego di fami sapere quanto ancora ve devo
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
EMAIL
AND 10 EURO

Marty

Marty
swashington

Post by swashington »

Thank you so much! I will request for my grandfather as well, Joseph, (as I spoke of in the prior post) and alter the letter accordingly. Must I include 10 Euro or can I put the dollar equivillant (sorry, stupid question eh? :) )
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible Joseph Molina draft card born April 7 1898

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1569/joemolina.jpg
You can add this to the letter
Nome e cognome: Giuesppe Molina
Data di nascita: dal 1898 fino al 1900
Nome e cognome del padre: Luigi Molina
I would just send the Euro alot of times the dont charge for the copies but they do charge for postage 1.80 Euro per letter

Marty

Marty
swashington

Post by swashington »

Yes it certainly is, thank you! I have other documentation for Giovanni at that address!

I have been spending a lot of time on Family Search. I was able to find a Luigi Molina DOB 1852 only stating Italy (there is no other documentation for this file :( Married a Giuseppina Brundoli (DOB 1853, again just in Italy) in 1875. This was the only thing i have been able to find, and it was odd because it lists Giuseppina's death occuring in Espirito Santo Brazil. I question if it was them because I would imagine if she travelled anywhere it would be closer to her children. But it is the only thing coming cloes to the time-frame. I'll be sending out the request on Tuesday though so hopefully I will figure out another piece to the puzzle with the listing of giovanni and guiseppe's parents names on the birth certificate!

Thanks once again!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

It looks like Joseph Molina and Mary were married in the US around 1923-1924 according to the 1930 census living in New York do you have the marriage license?

Marty

Marty
swashington

Post by swashington »

No I dont have the marriage license.I tried looking on ancestry..I thought I may get his parents information that way, plus I need to get my grandmothers maiden name so I can trace back that side. I do have the copy of the census.

Thanks Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If they lived in the Brooklyn Kings NY Heres a site with info for marriage license info
http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Vit ... oklyn.html
Marty

Marty
Jmolina1975

Post by Jmolina1975 »

Good morning, SWashington! I was searching for information about my Great great Grandfather Giovanni Batista Molina, the husband of Maria Rose Lustri from Cittanova, Italy. Giovanni's father's name was Luigi and It appears that he did not emigrate to America. (I learned of this through your text thread from Italian Geneology. com) Giovanni (John) Batista Molina had several children including, Polly, Harold, Nellie, Randolph and a son who was named Joseph Robert Molina who passed in 1995.(My Grandfather is Joseph who I was named after) I discovered from your messages that your Great Uncle Giovanni, also had a brother named Giuseppe (Joseph) MolinO? I also noticed that he was listed as "Brother to Giovanni in the 1920 US Census record. I spoke with my Dad who is actually named John (taken from your Great Uncle Giovanni) I believe we may have a family connection and I would love to talk with you. My email is lfojoe111@gmail.com or phone at 352.419.8954