birth certificate search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marialaffy

birth certificate search

Post by marialaffy »

I wrote a letter to Ufficio Di Stato Civile in Caserta Italy inquiring about my grandfather's birth certificate. I received a letter back that they did not find him. Any suggestions on where I should go from here? The information I provided them was accurate. Not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Re: birth certificate search

Post by Harleygrrl »

Hi Maria, if you don't mind my asking, how did you source the birth information that you have on him, if not from his birth record?
marialaffy

Post by marialaffy »

From his children-my mother and her sister.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Caserta is a Province as well as a city. Maybe he was from a town in the Province. OR he lied about his age to his children.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harleygrrl »

Yes, that's a distinct possibility. Did he (your grandfather) leave Italy for the US/Canada (don't know where he settled) or was it your mother's/aunt's generation? Do you have anything else on him - marriage record, passenger list? Don't be shy to post what you have on him, there are some really helpful and talented people on this board who I am sure would try to help you.
vino_verno

Post by vino_verno »

Sorry to get off topic, but I'm just curious as to how long it was until you got a reply. I ask because I wrote a commune not that far from Caserta about 1 month ago and still haven't heard anything. I was starting to wonder if maybe they can't find anything on my great grandfather.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Many towns in that area were badly hit in WW2. If the LDS records show a source of 'Tribunale' chances are you won't find a record for someone who left between 1865 and 1914.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.