italian passports and citizenship technically erroneous

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lindafou

italian passports and citizenship technically erroneous

Post by lindafou »

hi
i am writing to ask what would could be outcomme if one has had italian passports and identity cards for over 20 and 40 years respectively as being an italian citizen. However reading the law for friends i realised i may be not be, since i was not born in italy and my parents had become us citizens at time of my birth. furthermore my mother returned to italy many times to live2years at a time and lastly for some 8 years continuously. However all grandparents are italian and never imigrated and i lived in italy as a minor with my parents and was thus registered as italian and lived here as an adult and work for a international organization as an italian.
what do i need to do to rectify or need i do nothing or get a lawyer and may a special petition to ministry of interni
grazie
claudia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: italian passports and citizenship technically erroneous

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If I were in your situation, I would let sleeping dogs lie. As far as the Italian government is concerned, you are a citizen and there is no need for you to mess with this simple fact.

Are you certain that both parents became US citizens? What time frame would this have been? It was quite common (after 1922) for the male half of a couple to become a US citizen while his wife did not. Possibly your mother retained her Italian citizenship and, if you were born on or after January 1, 1948, then you would have inherited citizenship through her.

More detail would be helpful for understanding your case, however as noted above, I would just let it be.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lindafou

Re: italian passports and citizenship technically erroneous

Post by lindafou »

i agree.....thanks