Social Security Discrepancy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

When I finally got my GF’s Social Security application (after 9 months!) it was under the name he usually used, Anthony Christino. But his original name, Antonio Cristino was listed on the SS Death Index online with the same SS#. Can anyone explain this?

I’m still searching for his birth record, and imagine he submitted it when applying (though I admit it would be difficult to get more info from them since it took so long for a routine matter). Maybe my GM gave it to them when he died? (His death certificate has his Americanized name.)

Has anyone gotten anything additional from SS other than a copy of the 1-page application?

Thanks,
Karen
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Social Security Discrepancy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

When I applied for my own SS card back around age 14, I included my "middle" name (which was actually my confirmation name and does not appear on my birth certificate) on the application. My card was issued that way, "Carmine Peter xxxxx, Jr" and remained thus until 2008 when I had the record corrected and a new card issued - "Carmine xxxxx, Jr".

Someday, I will die and one of my descendants might question, "how come GGGF's social security application says one thing but his death record says something different?" With luck, he or she will stumble upon this forum post and find the answer. :)

(maybe Antonio corrected his SS record at some point during his life to show the correct spelling of his surname; possibly when he first applied for benefits)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Social Security Discrepancy

Post by KarenChristino »

Yes, that makes sense. I am just desperate to find any clues as to where he might have been baptized. He never used the Italian version of his name after childhood, so it came as quite a surprise to see it on the Death Index!