Help translating a record from Familysearch.org

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italian059
Master
Master

Help translating a record from Familysearch.org

Post by italian059 »

I am reposting this because I was unable to attach the file, but I figured out how to do it. It is listed as a record of "cresime" on their website. The last line names my grandmother and her parents. The first line has a date. I am interested in knowing what the date is at the top and what this record is for? Is it a Baptismal record? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2199/record0001.png
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help translating a record from Familysearch.org

Post by Tessa78 »

This looks to be a record of "Confirmations" (cresime)

Date is 18 October 1894

Listed as:
Name, father, mother, and probably sponsor.

T.
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thanks so much for the info, but I now have another question. How old were children when they were confirmed? According to my records my grandmother was born in 1894. Did children make their Confirmation as infants?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I think then that this reference "cresime" has to do with "chrism" - an oil consecrated by the bishop... probably is referring to baptism then, if the year of birth for your ancestor is the same...

In the Eastern Catholic Church, confirmation was administered shortly after baptism to infants.
In the Western Catholic Church, confirmation was administered when the child was a bit older and able to understand the rite.

Not sure what the practice was at the turn of the century in Italy, but will endeavor to find out... :-)

T.
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thanks for the info, T. If you find anything else out, please let me know.
M
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

At this site...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmati ... ite_note-4
In the early Church, through the Middle Ages, confirmation was closely linked with baptism and it was often performed on infants before their first birthday.[4] Like baptism, confirmation was an act for which the parents were held responsible. Two synods held in England during the thirteenth century differed over whether confirmation had to be administered within one year after birth, or within three years.[5] Confirmation became a much more important rite when concerns about understanding and faith grew, in particular following the Reformation.[6]

The age of discretion, also known as the age of reason, is defined by the Church as: "The name given to that period of human life at which persons are deemed to begin to be morally responsible." Children have always been admitted to the sacraments of Penance and Holy Communion around age seven. But, when it comes to Confirmation, the law gives great latitude to bishops, who are free to determine that a later age is more suitable for the reception of the sacrament. After the Second Vatican Council, the trend has been for Catholics to receive Confirmation later, between the sixth and the tenth grade.
T.
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thank you for that information. The record is on my grandmother. She died when my dad was 3 at the age of 26.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

From what comune (town) was she?

T.
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Corleone
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you tried writing to Corleone for her birth record?
Sometimes these also have a notation for the baptism... you could check the date...

address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Garibaldi, 1
90034 Corleone (PA)
ITALY

Help with letter in Italian
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I have written to Italy. I am waiting on a response.