Ellis Island

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tucker18

Ellis Island

Post by tucker18 »

I have been checking for my Great grangmothers arrival at Ellis Island in 1906 along with her two childern . Her name is Ann Glaviano (sulla maiden name) age 45 years old. The two childern daughter Rose 21 yrs old and son Antonio age 14. Ellis Island states that no such person or persons arrived ??? Now what?

Thanks for any advice Bob
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ellis Island

Post by VaDeb »

Italian women usually traveled under their maiden names. In Italy they never lose this identify. Children should have been listed under the fathers name, but since traveling with their mother, you have to consider they may have been recorded either way. HOw do you know they came through Ellis Island? Do you know what town in Italy they were from?

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

and please mention Rose and Antonio's father's name...

I checked all the Glaviano and "sound likes" for Ellis 1906 and nothing!

Still checking the Ancestry.com arrivals... but further info could help zero in on a manifest...

Just curious as to where you got this info... was it on a census record??

mfjp
xlntzee

Post by xlntzee »

My grandmother and greatgrandmother came to Ellis Island under my greatgrandmothers maiden name, however, when I put her maiden name in, I got no hits. However, they were traveling with a 10 y/o nephew/grandson, and when I used his name, it came right up, and there they were.
Do you know if they were traveling with any male relatives with a different last name?
xlntzee
tucker18

Post by tucker18 »

xlntzee wrote:My grandmother and greatgrandmother came to Ellis Island under my greatgrandmothers maiden name, however, when I put her maiden name in, I got no hits. However, they were traveling with a 10 y/o nephew/grandson, and when I used his name, it came right up, and there they were.
Do you know if they were traveling with any male relatives with a different last name?
xlntzee
I sent a reply once but it didn't go through. I will try again .
My Aunt sent a letter stating that Ann and her daughter and son Antonio left for America and arrived in New York in 1906. Ann before comming to America lived in Plazza Adriano, Palermo. That is where her husband died
while working in a cole mine, in a cave in.
Ann had to leave my grandmother back in Sicily as she had pink eye she came to America two years later, March 28 ,1909 her name was Carmela Glaviano, if you check with Ellis she is listed.
As far as I know she was travling by herself