Civil and church marriages

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
JOHN08
Master
Master

Civil and church marriages

Post by JOHN08 »

From my research, the greater majority of couples were married at their local church; however, these marriage was not recognized by the government until after 1929.

Did the most of the newly married couples then get married at the local town hall to have a recorded legal marriage?

I have read a number of books on Italian genealogy records and have not found a detailed explanation how the civil records were generated . Although the books I have read, e,g. , A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors, did a good job of describing the overall process, many areas are not described in detail.

For example, when the couple completed the promise-to-marry document, where was this document completed--at the town-hall or the local church? Who had to be present to complete this form--just the couple or the couple and their parents ? What documents did they have to present to the official?

Any detailed information would be appreciated.

Regard,

John
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Civil and church marriages

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi John,

The definite book on Italian genealogical records is "Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford Cole

This gives the best information about the origins of the Italian Civil and Ecclesiastical Records and how to use them.

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tessa78 wrote:Hi John,

The definite book on Italian genealogical records is "Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford Cole

This gives the best information about the origins of the Italian Civil and Ecclesiastical Records and how to use them.

T.

And, while I definitely recommend purchasing the book, you can read substantial parts of it online at Google books; see http://books.google.com/books?id=i_qgMM ... &q&f=false
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carinthiangirl »

"For example, when the couple completed the promise-to-marry document, where was this document completed--at the town-hall or the local church? Who had to be present to complete this form--just the couple or the couple and their parents ? What documents did they have to present to the official?"

you get two different documents - one from the church and another "official" from the civil office after marriage. also the "promise-to-marry- document" - how you named it - are stated both at the time before marriage at church AND town-hall. the one has nothing to do with the other and
and each is for itself. but you also can marry only at church or civil. if you marry only at church you are official NOT married. this is usual in most of the european states.
also usual for first going to the civil office and then to the church.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have this reading about records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty