Fara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
darel

Fara

Post by darel »

Hello!

What a fantastic website. I am wondering if you could help me, I will be eternally grateful if you can.

I have recently discovered I am directly related to the Fara Family from Italy.

I have uncovered some extremely interesting information.
My great great grandfather was Carlo Fara (according to the UK census he was born in Lettansco in 1846 in Italy (I cant find that placename)).
His brother (I believe) was no less than General Gustavo Fara (born 18 sept 1959 died 24feb 1936, born in Porto Novarese). I managed to get some Information about his life from one of the many websites devoted to the Bersaglieari, he received the top award, and was involved in the Africa campaigns and in WWI against Austria.

General Gustavo Fara

My great great grandfather Carlo left Italy for some reason and bought a huge victorian hotel at 40 great horton road in Bradford (alexandra hotel).
He had 4 daughters, nellie my great grandmother, cissie, mary and fanny.

My grandmother has mentioned some other placenames Novara, Lago d'orta, Peticano Crabbia, and the name Corso Carlo Alberto I don't know the significance of these names yet.

My questions are
1) What is the best way for me to trace the entire Fara line,and the story behind their lives.
2) Can anyone here help me with the placenames and family names I have produced here, any help is gratefully received.

I would really love to meet some existing ancestors to the Fara's if possible.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Fara

Post by VaDeb »

Welcome to the exciting and addicting hobby of genealogy. Genealogy is something that is worked backwards. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents. Collect birth, marriage, death certificates. Obituraries and cemetry records. Get a book on genealogy for general advice on how to proceed.

You need to know what village or comune your gggrandfather was from. All records in Italy are located in the comune in which they occured. Using the locations in Italy database, I couldn't find the town "Lettansco". If Suanj reads this, she will hopefully recognize the village.

Debbie
darel

Post by darel »

The "Lettansco" was from the UK 1901 census, maybe someone wrote it down wrong, i will have to check out the original.
I guess if his brother was born in Porto Novarase (is this Navaro?) thats a good place to start.

thanks for the top tips :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi are: Novara, Lago d'orta, Crabbia di Pettenasco, Pettenasco: so is very possible that the town is Pettenasco in Novara province, Piemonte region....
:wink: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
darel

Post by darel »

Wow.. I think you are totally correct. thankyou very much! Grazie!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There are only nine persons with surname Fara in Novara........

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... s=&cc=&cf=&

you could send a potential relative letter to these persons.........

http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... #relatives

you just might connect with long lost relatives....... :wink:

wldspirit
darel

Post by darel »

Thanks again!.. You guys are awesome 8O

I will let you know how it goes :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Glad to be of some help...... :D
Now if you are really ambitious....there are only 125 listings for all of Piemonte region........To write to them all is not unheard of.......one poster wrote 90+ letters........ 8O .........and recieved replies to almost all of the letters.

Here is an outline by the Lds for writing to Italy........

Good Luck.......
wldspirit
darel

Post by darel »

I think I have already found a relation from the first list..

http://www.dssp.uniroma1.it/istig/fara.htm

according to my mother he looks very much like her two uncles, I await a reply. I think i will write to all 125 on the link you provided :) I would like to travel to Italy and meet all the remianing related faras :) funnily enough just three months ago i was in the piemonte area (Alba) on business. Strange how the Fara's all seem to be Generals/Barristers/Professors - I hope I got some of those Genes :lol:

Darel
Tomalin

Post by Tomalin »

Darrel,

I believe you and my wife are related.

Carlo Fara's first wife from the marriage transcription was Elizabeth M. Austin Cumming from Helensburgh Scotland. I believe this was actually Elizabeth McAuslan Cumming born in Helensburgh Scotland 11/01/1860 and my wife's Great Aunt.

They had, I believe, 7 children. Hercules George (Ercole) Fara Q1/1880, Marietta Fara Q4/1880, William Fara Q1/1882, Ellen (Nellina) Fara Q2/1883, Frances Fara Q4/1884, Fanny Fara c1885 & Charles Edwin S. Fara Q4/1886 (died Q3/1887).

Carlo Fara married his second wife Louisa Caroline Prince Q2/1890 and they had a further child Maria Louisa Fara Q3/1891. I am not sure what happened to his first wife Elizabeth, but I believe she may have emigrated to Victoria Australia with her brother leaving the children with Carlo.

In 1881/91 he was owner of the 'Alexandra Hotel' 40 Horton St Bradford Yorkshire and in 1901 he was owner of the 'Prince of Wales Hotel' Lord Street Southport Lancashire.

I have further information about Elizabeth's family and would welcome the opportunity to exchange information. My email address is: john@jtomalin.freeserve.co.uk

Regards John
Tomalin

Post by Tomalin »

Hi again Darel,

Further to my last post, I wondered whether you had found the following entries on the 1881 census:

35 Ripley Terr Bowling Bradford Yorks
Eliza Fara - Head - Unmarried - 27yrs - Dressmaker - Navara Piedmonte
Ollasia Fara - Sister - Unmarried - 19yrs - Dressmaker - Pillmasca Italy

and on the 1891 census:

44 New Windsor St Uxbridge Middlesex
Ottavia A C Fara - Boarder - Single - 28yrs - Dressmaker - Italy Pettenases

and on the 1837 - 1984 marriage records:

Octavia Angela C Fara - Q4/1894 1a 415 Fulham Middlesex
to Frank Finch or George Marriott

Can't find any record on the 1901 census under either Finch or Marriott.

Looking forward to hearing from you

John
Tomalin

Post by Tomalin »

Darel,

1901 census:

Iver Farm Iver Buckinghamshire
Frank Finch - Head - Married - 35yrs - Builder - Uxbridge Middx
Ottavia AC Finch - Wife - Married - 39yrs - Italy Foreign Subject
Arthur W. Finch - son - 6yrs - Fulham Middx
Renze F. Finch - son - 2yrs - Uxbridge Middx

Regards

John
lulù

Post by lulù »

darel wrote: 10 May 2005, 22:59 Hello!

What a fantastic website. I am wondering if you could help me, I will be eternally grateful if you can.

I have recently discovered I am directly related to the Fara Family from Italy.

I have uncovered some extremely interesting information.
My great great grandfather was Carlo Fara (according to the UK census he was born in Lettansco in 1846 in Italy (I cant find that placename)).
His brother (I believe) was no less than General Gustavo Fara (born 18 sept 1959 died 24feb 1936, born in Porto Novarese). I managed to get some Information about his life from one of the many websites devoted to the Bersaglieari, he received the top award, and was involved in the Africa campaigns and in WWI against Austria.

General Gustavo Fara

My great great grandfather Carlo left Italy for some reason and bought a huge victorian hotel at 40 great horton road in Bradford (alexandra hotel).
He had 4 daughters, nellie my great grandmother, cissie, mary and fanny.

My grandmother has mentioned some other placenames Novara, Lago d'orta, Peticano Crabbia, and the name Corso Carlo Alberto I don't know the significance of these names yet.

My questions are
1) What is the best way for me to trace the entire Fara line,and the story behind their lives.
2) Can anyone here help me with the placenames and family names I have produced here, any help is gratefully received.

I would really love to meet some existing ancestors to the Fara's if possible.
Hi Darel,

I was looking for information about my family and I casually found this post. I am Cissie's great granddaughter. Cissie (Marietta, Nelly's sister) came to Pettenasco when she was 12 years old and married an italian man, Fortunato Primatesta. They had three children: Lucia (my grandmother), Carlo and Nino.
If you read this post, contact me: lucyven89@gmail.com

Regards,
Lucia