Angelo Ottaviano migrated to USA 1892 from San Mango, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LynnFromCT

Angelo Ottaviano migrated to USA 1892 from San Mango, Italy

Post by LynnFromCT »

Looking for family members still in Italy. Angelo Ottaviano was 42 (he is my great-grandfather) when he migrated to USA from San Mango, Italy - but when he got to America they messed up the name and we became Ottanio - My dad who is now 85 is looking for the rest of the family. We have his ship papers, and application for citizenship in USA, but need help with the Italy-side of the family. Is there anyone who can help us?
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: Angelo Ottaviano migrated to USA 1892 from San Mango, It

Post by rancelli »

I found two San Mango's

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F658616

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F409919

These are links for civil records of both towns. Not sure which San Mango he came from...Anyway you can go to your local Family History Center to order the films.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Actually, I find three places named San Mango:

San Mango d'Aquino in the province of Catanzaro, Calabria
San Mango Piemonte in the proivince of Salerno, Campania
San Mango sul Calore in the province of Avellino, Campania

All three are in southern Italy.

Once you determine which is the most likely origin of your ancestors, you can check the Italian telephone directory for possible living relatives.

See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... mango&l=en
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, a frazione (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazione) named San Mango in comune of Sessa Cilento, province of Salerno, Campania.

Definitely another possibility to consider.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
LynnFromCT

Post by LynnFromCT »

this is where we are from : San Mango sul Calore in the province of Avellino, Campania
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

LynnFromCT wrote:this is where we are from : San Mango sul Calore in the province of Avellino, Campania
Well, then, you have several Ottaviano's currently residing there who you may wish to try contacting:

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&td=2
Carmine

willperone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by willperone »

One of my grandmother's grandmother's grandmothers was Isabella Ottaviano who was born in San Mango sul Calore (used to be called Santo Mango) around 1800. I have other Ottaviano relatives but I'm not sure where they are from and yet more relatives from the town of Ottaviano LOL. The town used to be called Ottaiano but they changed the name to Ottaviano for some reason to do with Octavius the historical figure; I forget the exact reason. I currently have this microfilm checked out:
film 1546797: San Mango Nati 1861-1865 Pubblicazioni 1810-1865 Matrimoni 1809-1865 Morti 1809-1837 Atti diversi 1813-1837
If you want me to look something up let me know.

- Will
KevL125

Post by KevL125 »

Hi Will,

I have been doing a lot of research of my relatives, who were also originally from San Mango. Ancestry.com has many passenger lists, one of which will probably have interest to you. My great great grandfather was on the S.S. Cheribon which arrived in New York on March 9, 1887. This ship had many people from San Mango on it. If you check line 629 of the ships passenger log, you will find Angelo Ottoviano.

Many Italians traveled back and forth to Italy a number of times. Some because they were homesick and didn't like the urban life of America compared to the peaceful countryside of their home towns in Italy. Others traveled back to bring family members to America.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Re: Angelo Ottaviano migrated to USA 1892 from San Mango, Italy

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Kev - Do you know if your great-great-grandfather worked on a railroad, shipping dock or coal mine? I've discovered that a congressional investigation found that the Italian passengers on the March 9, 1887 arrival of the steamship Cheribon were probably recruited by a padrone in violation of the 1885 Alien Contract Labor Law.

I'm sorry if this news catches you off guard!