HI I'M TRYING TO FIND MY GRANDMOTHER

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jpkos

HI I'M TRYING TO FIND MY GRANDMOTHER

Post by jpkos »

MY NAME IS JOHN AND I AM TRYING TO FIND RECORDS WHEN MY GRANDMOTHER CAME FROM
AQUILA, ABRUZIA, ITALY TO BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS IN 8/16/1914 ON THE SHIP S.S. CANOPIC,
HER NAME WHEN SHE LEFT ITALY AND IMMIGRATED TO THE U.S. WAS *PASQUALINA MORGANI* BORN APRIL 10, 1902 THEN SHE GOT MARRIED HERE IN THE U.S. AND HER NAME CHANGED TO PALINA CALVERIA AND LIVED IN NEWARK,NY. HER FATHER JOHN MORGANI CAME WITH HER ON THE SHIP S.S. CANOPIC IN AUGUST 1914 AND BROUGHT HER TO BOSTON THEN HE ALONE WENT BACK TO ITALY.

ANY INFO WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED ESPECIALLY THE SS CANOPIC MANIFEST OR PASSENGER LIST,

SINCERELY
JOHN
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: HI I'M TRYING TO FIND MY GRANDMOTHER

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi John :-)

Here's your manifest!

Line 20
Going to father Giovanni in Lyons, NY

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

page2

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jpkos wrote: HER FATHER JOHN MORGANI CAME WITH HER ON THE SHIP S.S. CANOPIC IN AUGUST 1914
Tessa78 wrote:Hi John :-)

Here's your manifest!

Line 20
Going to father Giovanni in Lyons, NY
Proving once again that the stories handed down to us often turn out to be inaccurate. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

:D :lol: :wink:

T.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

jpkos wrote: MY GRANDMOTHER CAME FROM
AQUILA, ABRUZIA,
And, if this can be of interest, the ship manifest says she came from PESCINA, a town in the province of L'Aquila, in Abruzzo region. L'Aquila is both a town and a province. Pescina is about 50 miles far from L'Aquila.

Ada
jpkos

Post by jpkos »

Hi carmine how do i PM you, IM sorry i am not that good at this?

you are great!!! thank you very much, my grandmother came over with her father John Morgani and then he brought her to lyons,NY to stay with her uncle...what is my grandmothers age on the manifest its so hard to read it and where does it say Giovanni? How can I find out if my great grandfather John Morgani owned any land in italy,

sincerely john :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The manifest clearly shows that Giovanni was already living in Lyons, NY when your grandmother arrived; your grandmother did not travel with Giovanni. See column 18 on the second sheet of the manifest where it says "Whether going to join a relative or friend; and if so, what relative or friend, and his name and address." The data on line 20 says, "Father Morgani Giovanni - Lyons NY"

At the top of sheet 1, the ship left Naples on 4 August 1914; at the top of sheet 2 it arrived in Boston on 16 August 1914.

In column 3 of sheet 1, it gives your grandmother's age of 16 years. If true, then she would have been born about 1898. It is possible (I don't know; just guessing) that they lied about her age so that she would be allowed to travel without a relative or guardian. If she was really born in 1902, then she would be only about 12 years old in 1914.

In column 10 on sheet 1 is given the place where Pasqualina last resided; in the last column of sheet 2 is given her place of birth. Both look like "Pescina" (Comune di Pescina, Provincia di L'Aquila, Regione di Abruzzo), but I am not 100% certain. Perhaps 99% :)

I don't know how you would find out about land ownership in Italy; sorry.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

This is a possible manifest for Giovanni Morgani, arriving New York in 1905 from Pescina. It is not easy to know with certainty if this is Pasqualina's father.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giovanni Morgani
Name: Giovanni Morgani
Arrival Date: 4 Apr 1905
Birth Year: abt 1874
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Republic

Carmine