Divorce Certs Needed?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dalemma

Divorce Certs Needed?

Post by dalemma »

My father and I have our Italian Citizenship, my brother is now applying for his. He was married two or three years, divorced...no children. He is now remarried with one child. Does he need his first wife's certs. and appostilles? Most sites say you need "applicable" divorce certs. Would his divorce records be "applicable"? Or, would his first marriage license and divorce decree suffice? Or does he even need that? Any thoughts, as usual, would be appreciated!!

Dominic
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Divorce Certs Needed?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If he intends to register his current marriage (which, by law, he is supposed to do), he will need to provide documents pertaining to his first marriage and divorce.

His current marriage certificate should include a field labeled something like "Number of this marriage" for both your brother and his wife; anything other than "1" or "1st" in this box will tip off the consulate that there was a previous marriage. In order to prove that the current marriage is legitimate, he (or they, if applicable) needs to provide a divorce record or death certificate for any previous spouse(s).

I do not believe he will need the first wife's birth or death certificates.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)