Richichi Family of Terranova Sappo Minulio, Reggio Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NDR

Richichi Family of Terranova Sappo Minulio, Reggio Calabria

Post by NDR »

My previous posting misspelled "Terranova" as "Terravova" - sorry. Also, I am particularly interested in information on my great-grandfather (Antonio Richichi), Great-grandmother (Maria de Maria Richichi), my grandfather (Vincenzo Richichi) and his siblings: Gaetano (a member of the Caribieneri), Raphael, Pepina, Teresa, Carmella and Angela. Thank you.
NDR

Re: Richichi Family of Terranova Sappo Minulio, Reggio Cala

Post by NDR »

Tessa - to avoid confusion for readers,I would like to DELETE my two previous postings - the one on Catona (totally irrelevant now, with the discovery of the TSM birthplace), and the one where I misspelled Terranova as Terravova. However I cannot find where to click to delete these two. Can you advise? - Nick
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Nick,

Don't think you'll be able to delete...but then you probably don't want to :D because there is a wealth of information about the family in those posts that future researchers can use. We often reference old posts so that the volunteers here don't make duplicate efforts. :)

It is very clear from your most recent post what you are seeking and where your ancestors are from. The details are found in the old posts, so it's important to keep them.
Not necessary to delete... :-)

Hope that helps...
T.
NDR

Post by NDR »

Tessa - wonderful advice! I was afraid I was "hogging the website space". As a Newbie you can clearly see I don't completely understand the progess yet. Today I was at the local Family History Center verifying the goldmine of information you sent last week. The only thing I can't seem to follow up on is anything else about my grandfather's sister Carmella Richichi, who you found arrived in NYC with her sister Teresa. I searched "all kinds" of record and can't find her - perhaps she died very soon after arrival, was immediately married and I don't know her married name, or quickly went back to Italy? My father has one 93-year old surviving sister with a very bad memory - however I have written to her to try to verify Carmella was in Amsterdam,NY where she and Teresa were headed from the Port and where I know Teresa lived the rest of her life. BTW, I met another researher at the FHC today who just made a largely unsuccessful, expensive trip to Reggio Calabria, because she had so little information before she went and did not speak the language (neither do I). I told her of your incredible website and expect next time I see her there that she will be very happy from her future results. Thanks for your help and patience - Nick
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

NDR wrote:Tessa - wonderful advice! I was afraid I was "hogging the website space". As a Newbie you can clearly see I don't completely understand the progess yet. Today I was at the local Family History Center verifying the goldmine of information you sent last week. The only thing I can't seem to follow up on is anything else about my grandfather's sister Carmella Richichi, who you found arrived in NYC with her sister Teresa. I searched "all kinds" of record and can't find her - perhaps she died very soon after arrival, was immediately married and I don't know her married name, or quickly went back to Italy? My father has one 93-year old surviving sister with a very bad memory - however I have written to her to try to verify Carmella was in Amsterdam,NY where she and Teresa were headed from the Port and where I know Teresa lived the rest of her life. BTW, I met another researher at the FHC today who just made a largely unsuccessful, expensive trip to Reggio Calabria, because she had so little information before she went and did not speak the language (neither do I). I told her of your incredible website and expect next time I see her there that she will be very happy from her future results. Thanks for your help and patience - Nick
Hi Nick,
Just a clarification... :-)
The manifest that I found and posted showed that Carmella and Teresa were both on the manifest. However... they were also both crossed out.
That would mean that they either DID NOT make that particular trip, or they appear somewhere else on the manifest.
Since you KNOW that Teresa arrived, I searched for a manifest that would show her actual arrival. I have yet to find one...
I have NOT found a manifest that actually shows Carmella's arrival...
It is still a mystery, and warrants additional search :-)

T.
NDR

Post by NDR »

Tessa - Thanks so much. Since I met Teresa in her old age and her husband and children in their home in Amsterdam, NY -- after she was frequently mentioned at home by my aunts and uncles and grandfather, I know she got here. I wonder if Carmella's name is the only one that was actually crossed out but done in a sloppy manner so it looks like both? You are right,the mystery remains. I am now trying to locate possible relatives in Terranova Sappo Minulio who may be of help, and will soon send for the town clerk's records, according to the suggested internet request format and Italian translation thereof (I only know a couple Italian words) - Nick
NDR

Post by NDR »

Last night I examined some recently-inherited documents from my father's deceased sister and discovered handwritten information on Carmella Richichi, who was on a ship's manifest, found by this site's Tessa, as coming here with her sister Teresa, and going to their brother Vincenzo (my grandfather) in Amsterdam, NY in 1913. Both names had been crossed out on the manifest, causing confusion. The inherited documents show Carmella did settle in Amsterdam, NY, as did Teresa, alhtough I only ever met Teresa. Here is what I have on them both:
TERESA RICHICHI - Born: March 7, 1893, Calabria; Died: November 8, 1979; Married: to Rocco Alessi, December 14,1914. Her life stateside was spent in Amsterdam,NY. She and Rocco are listed in the 1920 US Census.
CARMELLA RICHICHI- Born: January 1, 1898, Calabria; Died: February 3, 1967; married to Frank Ambesi. Her life stateside was spent in Amsterdam, NY. She and Frank are listed in the 1920 US Census where her name is misspelled "Carmello" ( the male version of the name).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are some links to Obituary for Carmella and wedding for Anthony (her son)

Obituary - Carmella Ambesi - 1967 (middle of page between pictures AND a small notice at the bottom left corner)

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%204/ ... .html&.pdf

Wedding of Anthony Ambesi - 1952 (top left corner of page)

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%204/ ... .html&.pdf

T.
NDR

Post by NDR »

Tessa- you are a wonder, finding such new material! I noted that once again there is a name change in the records: in her obituary "Carmella" is spelled with only one "l" - no wonder this work is so difficult!

Thanks again - Nick
NDR

Post by NDR »

The obituary found by Tessa in the Amsterdam Evening Recorder of February 3, 1976 not only shows a different spelling for my grandfather's sister's first name, but also her maiden name. Her name, as my branch of the family knew it, was: CARMELLA RICHICHI AMBESI. Her obituary lists her as CARMELA RICHI AMBESI. I recently discovered a hand-written note by my grandmother (wife of Carmella's brother Vncenzo)on which my grandmother experimented writing variations of Richichi, including Richi, so perhaps he and both sisters, Carmella and Teresa, used Richi for a time after their arrival in the USA.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like you may be correct! :-)

Here is a marriage record for Amsterdam, Montgomery Cty, NY
for CARMELA RICHI - mother's name "Mary di Marie" (Maria de Maria?)
Groom's name is also misspelled it seems :?

Name: Francis Abite
Titles & Terms:
Event: Marriage
Event Date: 07 Nov 1915
Event Place: , Montgomery, New York
Marital Status:
Previous Spouse:
Race:
Birthplace:
Estimated Birth Year: 1894
Father: Tony
Father's Titles & Terms:
Mother: Anna Lagana
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Additional Relatives:
Spouse: Carmella Richi
Spouse's Titles & Terms:
Spouse's Age: 19
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Estimated Birth Year: 1896

Spouse's Father: Tony
Spouse's Father's Titles & Terms:
Spouse's Mother: Mary Di Marie
Spouse's Mother's Titles & Terms:
Reference Number:
Film Number: 1294824
Film Frame Number:
Digital Folder Number: 4489198
Image Number: 00504

Link to image... third record down on left side... On familysearch.org
You'll have to sign in to view it :-)
https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... cc=1618491

T.
NDR

Post by NDR »

Tessa -thanks again! That is Carmella, despite her husband's name spelled as "Francis Abite",not "Frank Ambesi" as was used throughout her married life and in her obituary. Also, her parents are correctly identified as "Tony" = "Antonio", and "Mary di Marie" = "Maria De Maria" (my great- grandparents), as their names have been spelled in the information I've accumulated over the years - Nick
john Antico

Post by john Antico »

My name is John Antico first time user. I saw the Richichi Family of TNSM Reggio Calabria and would like to
offer this information.
Perhaps you may be able to help me put a date for great Grandfather and great Grandmother

I visited Terranova Sappo Minulio 2 years ago because my family came from there.I did some research of family tree and found out the following.
My father Giuseppe Antico was born in TNSM 1888 migrated to Australia 1923 died 1970
His father was Rocco Antico born TNSM 1850 died 1905 in TNSM
His father was Giuseppe Antico and he married a Giuseppa Richichi have no dates
more info
Rocco married Francseca Maria Ravesi 1852-1932 who died in Australia
Francesca's father was Giovanni Ravesi 1823-1906 died in TNSM
Giovanni married Maria C Chizzoniti 1827-1905 died in TNSM