My Grandfather's Death Record for Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
davevelo

My Grandfather's Death Record for Italian Citizenship

Post by davevelo »

SSDI indicates that he died in July, 1947 in Boston, Suffolk Mass. However, the Massachusetts vital records archive cannot find his death record. Does anyone know if this record is manditory for dual citizenship? I'm dealing with the San Francisco consulate. I have proof(Italian microfilm) of his birth in Loreto Aprutino, Abruzzo, Italy, his marriage in the USA, ships manifests, census, etc. I can prove that I am his grandson and that he was an alien in 1930.

Will appreciate any comments, suggestions... thanks.
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: My Grandfather's Death Record for Italian Citizenship

Post by RussoTiesi »

The SSDI does not necessarily indicate where someone died, only their address when they received their last benefit payment. Is it possible your grandfather died in an adjoining state?

Also, have you had a chance to search for his obituary in the town he was living in at the time of his death?
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

It totally depends where he was born, if he was born in Italy, you need the death cert. If he was born here, not required.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Oh he was born in Italy, you need it, start with parish records, cenetary records. Probably they can't find it becuase it is spelled wrong in their index. Try alternative spellings. Since he died in 47, and you have the date you can just go though the microfilm from salt lake. Just order it for the time frame you need. Thats what I would do, once you find it photocopy it and you can get a certified copy then.
GOderda

Post by GOderda »

I had this same problem and am going through SF as well. My great grandfather was born in Italy and died in California, but the state has no death certificate. We were originally going to go to court to get a delayed death record, but before we did, we decided to email Mr. Cei in SF. Here is his response (we are also having trouble finding my great grandmother's birth certificate):

"Neither of those documents is foundationally important (such as the Italian birth certificate or the naturalization record) The absence of individual documents, such as a death certificate or a spouse’s birth certificate, can be overcome so long as the other documents clearly prove the identity of the individuals involved and that the transmission of citizenship occurred. If you are missing some documents related to your ascendant, it is probably a good idea to get a certified copy of your ascendant’s petition for citizenship (either from NARA or the County) in order to fill in the blanks, regardless of whether you have the original naturalization certificate or not."

We have records from the cemetery about his death and burial, an obituary and have spoken to the priest at the church where his funeral was held, so I think our evidence is pretty solid. So, I guess this is just a long way of saying that I dont think the death certificate is needed if you have sufficient documentation showing what happened.

Hope this helps!