Notation on birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Notation on birth record

Post by lilbees »

This is the birth record for Giovanni Fiumara b. 1863. There is a side note regarding his marriage to an Amalia Matisse I believe and his other marriage to Maria Concetta Carrese. I have that marriage record and it says he is vedova Amalia Matisse.

Is what I am reading correct and what is the date given for his original marriage if there is one.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... th1863.jpg

Thanks
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Notation on birth record

Post by Tessa78 »

I'm seeing Giovanni identified as widower (vedovo- I can't read the beginning of the word clearly here, but I assume you see it) of Amalia Matisse. He contracted marriage with Maria Concetta Carrese, daughter of Luigi, on what appears to be 2 May.
Signed by the official and dated 5 may 1903.

No other marriage date is mentioned that I can see.

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Darn, can't seem to find a marriage or death for Amalia. I also cannot locate any birth or death of a child for this couple.

Oh well............. :cry: will have to keep searching.

Thanks your eyes.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lilbees wrote:Darn, can't seem to find a marriage or death for Amalia. I also cannot locate any birth or death of a child for this couple.

Oh well............. :cry: will have to keep searching.

Thanks your eyes.

lilbees
Just a point of concern...
Widower status of Giovanni is based on the word "vedovo" in this notation...
I can't see it clearly - so I can't say he is definitely a widower. But then, what would be the purpose of mentioning Amalia Matisse :?
I am also surprised that the marriage (if there was one) to Amalia is not noted on the record. Maybe the marriage did not take place in Italy? Or at least, not anywhere nearby. Just a thought...

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Amalia is also shown deceased on the actual marriage record for Giovanni'a next marriage.

Will check some of the nearby comunes if available. I did check if Amalia was born anywhere from 1863 thru 1883 w/no luck. Was hoping there would be a notation on her birth record.

Thanks again.

lilbees
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is Amalia's surname clearly spelled MATISSE on the other marriage record?

I am not finding this surname in Campania region.

In Castellammare there is the spelling MELISSE

In Napoli Province there is MOLISSE and MELISSE

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Sorry, should have posted the other marriage.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... ge1903.jpg

It does show Amalia's last name spelled as Matisse. Take a look?

lilbees
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, Amalia's surname looks like it is spelled MATISSE...

I noticed that Giovanni was residing in San Ferdinando Quarter(neighborhood) in Naples. The publication notation at the bottom also mentions San Ferdinando.
Maybe Amalia was from there?

Also, you should be able to find Amalia's death record in the Allegati for this marriage with Maria. That document would have been required, presented, and entered into the record.

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Well, better take a look to see what is available.

Thanks,
lilbees
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

On this Pubblicazione of their marriage it looks like it states that
"no copy of the death of Amalia Matisse, his wife, was released by the Comune of Napoli (San Ferdinando)...
Not sure why, or if it means that none exists :?

I also noticed that his occupation on the marriage record has a "cross" next to it, and on the publication, which is a clearer copy for me, it looks like he is an assistant/helper/adjutant somewhere - possibly a church? Almost looks like S'Maria :?:

Click image to enlarge and again to magnify

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks T. They didn't have a long marriage. He died 23 Feb 1904 in the military.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... th1904.jpg

Couldn't read all, just the vitals so don't know exactly where or anything else.

lilbees
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Dated 26 June 1904 at Castellammare di Stabia...
The official writes that he received from Sig. Director of the Military Branch Hospital of the Regia Marina, a death act of 2nd Adjutant Giovanni Fiumara of the Corpo Reale Equipaggi (see reference site below) on 25 of June 1904 at the hour 20 and 25 minutes (8:25 PM).
I think it then gives his serial number (#18915 matricola), his religion - Catholic. Son of Aniello and of Antonia Cascone, born 9 December 1863 at Castellammare di Stabia, Province of Napoli; widower of Amalia Matisse, husband of Maria Concetta Carrese, (then it looks like it states that he may have "gone out" (enrollment?) 23 January 1887.
He entered the hospital on 10 May 1904 and died on the 25 June 1904 from (I sent you a PM)

You can read about the Corpo Reale Equipaggi (Crew) here:
Degrees of the Navy (English)
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... d%3Dimvnsb

Degress of the Navy (Italian - Gradi della Regia Marina)
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradi_della_Regia_Marina

Example of Royal Corps Maritime Crews document (Corpo Reale Equipaggi Marittimi)
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... d%3Dimvnsb

T.