surname Vanaglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

surname Vanaglia

Post by ally »

I am trying to figure out the following:

G-Grandfather, Francesco Venaglio, 1910 North Bergen, NJ Census, States name as Venaglio, living in No. Bergen. 1915 Census, same county of Hudson, deceased, wife Angeline states name as Vanaglia. Frank states coming to US in 1896 and his family of Angeline, Rose, Antionette and Mary coming in 1898/9, hard to read.

My question is: They came from Naples area, however, this surname does not come up in locations. Also the name Vannelli, on some of my grams papers states this as last name. I cannot locate an obit for Francesco in the Hudson County Dispatch, actually there are no Italians names listed in this paper. And this was a prominent Italian community in early 1900's, He was listed as an AL on census, so alien, no papers to trace there. And I called all cemeteries in Hudson County and he is not buried in any, may be a potterfields burial. Is there some other avenue to take?

Angeline surname was Paruolo, Suanj stated this is from Salerno area, I do not know exact date of birth as she changed the years in each of census reports? Cannot trace there either.

All that is a given is her name, as it appears on my grams (Rose) marriage license. Any other thoughts as to find out about Francesco?? He was alive in 1910 and Angeline was widowed in 1915.

Cannot find Angeline and my grandmother and great aunts arriving in US either. Rose said she came on the Roma, but she was only 5/6 when she came. And I tried many variations of Paruolo in the time frame of 1896 - 1905
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: surname Vanaglia

Post by suanj »

hi are this record most similar
-May 26, 1896
Manifest for Chateau Yquem
Sailing from Naples
0004. Varnealle, Francesco M 27y Italy

but I cannot read it.. someone can help...?

-more:
Associated Passenger Date of Arrival Port of Departure
Francisco Venaglia May 19, 1901 Havre
but final destination Chicago...

-Francesco Vernaglia May 16, 1895 Naples
final destination New York

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If they lived in a prominent Italian community, was there an Italian Catholic church in the area? Did you try contacting them for death information. Look at the papers you have with the various spelling of the surname. Are any documents a better source of the name than the others?

I am confused about your census statements.

1910 Federal Census NJ Hudson County Venaglio

1915 ?State Census NJ Hudson County Vanaglia
"deceased, wife Angeline states name as Vanaglia. Frank states coming to US in 1896 and his family of Angeline, Rose, Antionette and Mary coming in 1898/9, hard to read."
How can he be deceased and still listed with information?

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

but I cannot read it.. someone can help...?
Hi suanj... hope this helps... it is an Ellis Island mis-link...
maria :P

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/8012/vern2wa.jpg
First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Varnealle
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: May 26, 1896
Age at Arrival:  27y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Chateau Yquem
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0004
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

LIne 8 destination is Manville, I think Francesco has the same destination. There is a Manville in NJ.

Debbie
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

hi,
sorry, yes in 1910 he is alive with spelling Venaglio, Hudson Cty, NJ with arrival date
in 1915, deceased, but wife Angeline spelled her name as Vanaglia, and showed widowed, coming in 1898/9 with Rose, Antionette and Mary.

As for papers, I have my fathers birth- Veriglio, aunts= Vanelli, and another marriage lic for grandmothers- Vanaglia- my fathers marr license-Vanaglia, And my grandfather death cert which my gram Rose shows maiden name of Vannelli.

I could write to town, but which town, Naples, Salerno, then my aunt said she was told my Grandmother Rose,(Francesco and Angeline's daughter) was born in Sorrento.

I have called every church in Hudson Cty (Even church where we all went -the family church), as well as cemeteries, no listing of this Vanaglio or varied spelling. I know around 1916 Angeline remarried and moved to New York, a man by Spina or Spinnelli. I believe my 90 yr old aunt said they moved to Yonkers. The other child of Angeline and Francesco died of TB around 1926, her name was Antionette.

I can not even find a death record for Francesco nor where he is buried.
I checked the family cemetery, but no variation of Vanaglia with Francesco is shown buried there. That is why I suspect a pottersfield burial. I even tried churches in and around Jersey City and Union City which are next towns available.

As for destination of Francesco, I know when they first came to America they lived in New York, as my gram Rose married in 1906 in New York.
Apparently they lived in Yonkers, which is why Angeline went full circle to there at next marriage
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's a manifest of interest... long shot though...
It shows an Angele born in France... siblings born in France... Rose at 27 yrs., a widow was Italian though. Will keep an eye out...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 3902010159&
First Name: Angela
Last Name: Parviolo
Ethnicity: France
Last Place of Residence: Rioupegron
Date of Arrival: May 06, 1900
Age at Arrival:  11y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: La Champagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0002

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3902010159
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

No, this is not her, Angeline would be parent born around 1866-1871, children traveling with, Rose (Rosina), Mary, Antionette, from Naples to New York, Francesco was already in America. But going to look at more names with that particular spelling.

Thanks!! :D

Ally
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

ok... :? never give up...

"The Roma" ship records on the Ellis Island Database start at May 1902... leaving the ports of Naples and Marseilles...

Nothing for 1898-1899... am checking the other ports as well...

mfjp
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

I am not giving up, just alittle frustrated.

I know Angeline came with girls in 1898/99, as my gram Rose was 6 when she came to US.

I have tried various spellings but not that one.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ally,

Francesco Venaglio (or similar spelling) died in NJ between 1910 and 1915. Have you been to the NJ archives in Trenton and gone through the death records for this time period?

Debbie
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

yes, did not find any. even checked 1 child i know was born in US, Anna Venaglio, 9/1906, no records.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

1) You had mentioned the ship "Roma" which is a detail of interest. These ships sailed from 1902 on... sorry to mention this again...

Someone from your family was able to recall this ... which I think is very important... (and great as well)...

2) You also seem to be confident that the years 1898-99 would be the years on entry.. years that the Roma ship did not sail...

In your opinion... which of these 2 would be more logical time frame to research?

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ally,

This is a tough one. In the time period Frank died 1910-1915 the NJ archives has told me it would be very unusual for someone to die without a death certificate being recorded. (I had been looking for someone there) So either name is very misspelled, his record didn't get microfilmed by error or perhaps he did not die in NJ. Perhaps NY?

I looked through Ellis Island and Ancestry records too. According to the 1910 cenus Frank was born in 1871 in Italy.

This is a manifest Suanj had mentioned earlier.
Francesco Vernaglia May 16, 1895 Naples
final destination New York
The age is very close (age 26, born 1968)

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2864061247

Do you think this is likely to be Frank?

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

really I think that the just surname is VeRnaglia;
I find that in Salerno area are present VERNAGLIA and PARUOLO surnames... also in Napoli area..;
in fact on ancestry are the Vernaglias in Bergen, and Hudson NJ.... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH