Giannusa and Ganci or Gangi Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
proshopwife

Giannusa and Ganci or Gangi Surname

Post by proshopwife »

I am looking for Giannusa and Ganci or Gangi relatives from Palermo Italy.Vincenzo Giannusa immigrated to Boston in 1912 along with Emmanuele and Carmela Gangi/Ganci, his wife was Concetta Ganci/ Gangi. Concetta's father is listed as Givoanni, she immigrated to Boston in 1913
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Giannusa and Ganci or Gangi Surname

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :lol: :lol:

We will be happy to help you in your search. Do you have all your American records? (ships' manifests, censuses, etc.) Do you know if your relatives are from the city of Palermo or a town in that province?

Are Emmanuele and Carmela siblings or husband and wife? Is Carmela their sister? Do you know their ages or dates of birth?
proshopwife

Post by proshopwife »

Hi and thanks for the welcome!
Carmela and Emmanuel were brother and sister, their ship manifest lists a mother Maddalena, last name is spelled"Ganci" on the manifest but some of the present day family says it was"Gangi". Carmela is listed as 18yrs old in 1912 and Emmanuel is listed as 21 in 1912. They are listed as being from Palermo. Census records have proved to be tough, I know they (Giannusa and Gangi/Ganci) were in Boston, Revere, Charlestown etc during the early 1900's, 1912- current day, but cannot find any census records for Giannusa.
Any help, and I do mean any(even the tiniest bit) will be greatly appreciated
Thanks a bunch
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I found this record for Giannusas going to son/brother Vincenzo. Is this your family?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible military Enlistments for Vincenzo?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Vincenzo Gianusa
Name: Vincenzo Gianusa
City: Winthrop
County: Suffolk
State: Massachusetts
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1888
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1684680
DraftBoard: 25

[img=http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9578/g ... ww5.th.jpg]

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Vincenzo Giannusa
Name: Vincenzo Giannusa
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1888
RESIDENCE: Suffolk, Massachusetts
Birth: Italy
Race: White
Roll: WWII_2246482

wife: Concetta

[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4043 ... ua6.th.jpg]

Laura :)
proshopwife

Post by proshopwife »

Possibly very helpful, thanks so much, I don't think this is a direct link to the boston giannusa's but might be a relative. Thanks so much
proshopwife

Post by proshopwife »

ok have to revise the last post.
Draft records are definately my husband's grandfather, and that gives me a possibly narrower location for census records, ellis island record however might be a relative, wow you guys are great!!
Thanks!!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Naturalization index record for Emanuele Gangi
Name: Emanuele Gangi
Birth Date: 17 Dec 1890
Issue Date: 6 Aug 1946
State: Massachusetts
Locality, Court: District of Masssachusetts, District Court
Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions and Records of the U.S. District Court, 1906-1966, and the U.S. Circuit Court, 1906-1911, for the District of Massachusetts

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
VanceL

Post by VanceL »

Any luck? I am highly interested in my families history as well... When I was visiting my grandpa, Nicholas Gangi, he gave me some info and I went to the National Records and found a few things... It would be great to know a whole lot more :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

VanceL wrote:Any luck? I am highly interested in my families history as well... When I was visiting my grandpa, Nicholas Gangi, he gave me some info and I went to the National Records and found a few things... It would be great to know a whole lot more :D
Welcome to the Forum!
If you would like to start a new post (click 'New Topic' just under this post to the left) with some details about your branch of the family, perhaps we could help.
Valarie
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jgenduso »

Hi - I have a friend named Joe Gangi. He and I have relatives in Resuttano Sicily - near Palermo, but in a different province. He and I met through POINTers = Pursuing Our Italian Names Together.

Sorry can't be more helpful with Palermo, but you are interested in talking to him PM me.

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily
ceasar61

Post by ceasar61 »

My name is Ron Giannusa. The people you speak of are my grandparents. Vincenzo Giannusa born 1888 died 1975, and Concetta Gangi Giannusa born 1887 died 1949. They lived in Revere 1st, then Charlestown. Then East Boston and finally Dorchester in the early 1940's.
They came from Palermo, Sicily. My father was Vincent Giannusa born 1925 and died 1989. He was a WWII vet and a Boston Police Officer who received The Boston Police Medal of Honor in 1963. He died of a brain tumor caused by a line of duty injury.
dgangiwingmerrill

Post by dgangiwingmerrill »

I am Deborah Gangi, now Deborah Wing-Merrill, son Seth V. Wing. Dad Victor A. Gangi, Mom Barbara F. Gangi (Lewis), Grandpa Emanuele and Grandma Carmela (Giannusa) Gangi. I live in North Reading. I absolutely love my Italian heritage and family. We are all family. Keep in touch!