Looking for Gusto Family Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tguster

Looking for Gusto Family Information

Post by tguster »

We are searching for information on the Gusto family.

Georgio Gusto immigrated from Italy to the US in 1902, eventually settling in the State of Ohio.

The name was changed in Ohio from Gusto to Guster.

Any help or information would be appreciated. We're just beginning our search.

Tim Guster
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Gusto Family Information

Post by Biff83 »

Tim,

Have you found an immigration record from 1902 for him or are you basing the immigration year from information on the 1910 census? Based on the birth years and birth places for the children, his immigration year would have to have been earlier. Also find it interesting that the oldest son was born in Rhode Island.

1910 census
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7536 ... census.jpg

Another possibility for a surname might be Giusto.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I see from some of the kids birth records of George Guster and Antoinette Dogten(name spelled right??) on familysearch.org the lived in Niles, Trumbull, Ohio.
Did George die in Trumbull county? IF he did have you tryed to get a death record for more info on his place of birth in Italy might be listed on the record.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tguster

Post by tguster »

Marty,

Thanks for the very quick reply.

We have already conducted an in-person search of the Trumbull County records (which are not in a very good condition) without much success. Another search that is more focused (using, for example, the record reference numbers from familysearch.org) may yield different results.

Tim
tguster

Post by tguster »

Biff,

I agree that the immigration records may not have the correct date of immigration, but not because of the oldest child.

The 1910 census does include a child born in Rhode Island. From what we have discovered so far, Gusto/Guster was the second husband of Delia Russo (Ross), also from Italy. We believe she arrived on May 9, 1891 aboard the Neustria out of Naples and Palermo (a ship that was later lost at sea with all aboard). She may have been 16-years old at the time (putting her birth year at 1875 or so).

Thanks for the tip on Giusto.

We'll keep digging.

Tim
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Tim,

I've been trying to locate ANY other records on the family for possible clues, but other than the 1910 census and the birth record Marty referenced I've found nothing.
Have you located any other records? Anything might help further our search.

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres his possible WW1 draft card birth date July 12 1876 living in Trumbull county Ohio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Just for references the 1920 census:

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Delia Larry
Home in 1920: Canton Ward 4, Stark, Ohio
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Jim Larry
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of immigration: 1890
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jim Larry 38 head
Delia Larry 40 wife
Joe Ross 23 ste-son, born in RI
Mary Guster 19 step-daughter, born in OH
Rose Guster 17 step-daughter, born in OH
Guido Guster 12 step-son, born in OH
Rocco Guster 10 step-son, born in OH
James Larry 7 son,, born in OH
Louis Larry 5 [5 6/12] son, born in OH
William Larry 1[1 6/12] son, born in OH
Victor Milini 41 [44] lodger

considering that James Larry, first son of Delia and her third? husband was born on 1913 (more or less), then George Guster must have died between 1910 and 1912...

Laura
cdguster

Post by cdguster »

I am a member of the Guster family in Ohio.

My grandfather was Charles Dominic Guster, Sr. (1904-1982.) He was the son of George Guster (Georgio Gasbarra) and Antonette Augustine Ross Guster Larry (Antonette D'Augustino Rossi Gasbarra Gentile.)

Antonette lived from June 26, 1876 to November 28, 1925. She died in Canton, OH. Her children were Joe and Frank Ross (Rossi), Mary, Rose, Charles, Richard, Gerald, and Rocco Guster (Gasbarra) and James, Louis, William and Betty Jean Larry (Gentile.) In addition, at least one other child (a son, in 1903) died in infancy.

I believe the name "Delia Dogten" is an errant spelling from US Census records and is derived from the "D'Augustino" maiden name of my great-grandmother. Unfortunately, as is the case in many immigration stories, misspellings and poor penmanship may forever mask true spellings of surnames. I had never heard of the name "Gusto" in connection with our family until 2011 or so, after the death of my father, when it was mentioned in a sympathy note my family received from the son of my great uncle Richard Guster. I have never seen "Gusto" on any documentation whatsoever--but I do have numerous examples of the name as "Gasbarra" or "Gusbarra."

Victor Milini was, indeed, a lodger with my great grandmother. She donated the money for the entire Milimi family to immigrate to the US from Italy, and we knew Mr. Milini and his family in Canton, OH.

Our family understood that after the death of my great grandmother's first husband, a Mr. Rossi, she married my great grandfather and they lived in Niles, OH. My grandfather Charles was born in Niles. Unfortunately, a fire in the city hall there destroyed his actual birth certificate. The story goes that George took two of his children, my grandfather and great uncle Gerald, to Italy to visit his family in about 1911 or 1912. George died there unexpectedly, leaving the boys to live with their grandmother and family near Naples. Subsequent efforts by my great grandmother Antonette to have the boys returned to her in Ohio were rebuffed by her mother-in-law until my grandfather reached the age of consent in 1922. At that time, he left with Gerald and returned to the US.

By the time he returned, his mother had remarried Mr. Gentile and had four additional children by him. Her third husband, he survived her by several years and is not buried with her in Calvary Cemetery near Canton.

Unfortunately, the siblings were together only sporadically after that time. In the early 1930s, the Rossi brothers returned to their native Rhode Island and the Ohio family lost contact with them. Others died young: Jim Larry in 1958, Mary in 1960, Rocco in 1964, Richard in 1967, Louis in 1969, Gerald in 1973. Rose died in 1983, Betty in 1997, William in 2001.
kathyoakes@aol.com

Post by kathyoakes@aol.com »

Hello,

My name is Kathy (Kathleen) Oakes, but my maiden name is Milini. I was born and raised in Canton, Ohio, and my father was George Victor Milini. I was interested in cdguster's post about Victor Milini. He was my great grandfather, but I never knew him, for he died before or shortly after I was born. My great grandmother Josephine, Victor's wife, died in 1982 at the age of 101. I was 18 and very close to her until she died.

I am sorry I do not know information about the Gusto family, but I am going to check my father's records. Do you have any information on Victor Milini? Where was he a lodger? My home email is kathyoakes@aol.com. Even if you do not know, I wish you all the best in finding out information for the Gusto/Guster family. Take care, Kathy Oakes