How do I certify USCIS naturalization certificate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

How do I certify USCIS naturalization certificate?

Post by 846newyorker »

I have just received the mailing from CIS with my great-grandfather's naturalization certificate. I live in New York and the consulate is apparently strict about having to submit a certified copy of the document. However, the document I received from CIS is not certified.

How should I go about getting this naturalization certificate certified?

Thank you!
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: How do I certify USCIS naturalization certificate?

Post by kontessa »

Are you certain that the naturalization records issued by USCIS need to be certified? (Thought that wasn't necessary - maybe the rules have changed. :?: )
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 846newyorker »

The consulate website definitely says they need to be certified. But no one seems to really know how to do it. I wonder if the official letter from the CIS would suffice.

I also do have certified copies from NARA of the petition, declaration, and oath, but it does not include the actual certificate. Others on this forum have suggested that that is probably enough. Still, I would like to have the naturalization certificate certified as well so there aren't any questions open.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

San Francisco required a certified certificate: "the one with the seal and red ribbon." After getting a copy from USCIS I found I needed the certified copy, which I got from N.A.R.A.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

The San Francisco consulate paperwork also indicates they need a certified naturalization certificate; however, as Steverino3006 indicates,a certified copy from the NARA seems to suffice. Everything I have read leads me to believe this is true for the other consulates as well. Nonetheless, if you are really worried about this, I remember reading that someone was able to get their certificate "certified" (through notary) by the USCIS by visiting their local office. Here is a link to their office locator: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?actio ... ce_type=LO I'm not sure it will work but it might be one avenue to look into.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

How is a certified "copy" from NARA different than a "certified naturalization certificate" from USCIS? Does USCIS issue brand new certificates? I would think not.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

The NARA does not actually issue a naturalization certificate, just the application, oath, etc. I believe the USCIS issues "certified true copies" but it is a process to get one from what I have read. Also, people can request replacements of their original naturalization certificates if they were lost, stolen , etc. but this would not apply to most of us I don't think. The genealogy department (which most of us are probably going through) does not issue new certificates.