COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JUANITA

COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by JUANITA »

Hello

I am trying to find any information on a Count Leone Della Torre of Venezia.

He would have been my great-great grandfather and as far as I can remember being told, he was married to a woman of "Germanic" background.

His son, my grandfather Leone Della Torre was known to have been one of the foremost merchandisers in Cairo and an art dealer as well as an outfitter of the palaces in Cairo.

My grandfather had six daughters, one being my grandmother Beatrice Eugenia Della Torre who was born in Cairo, September 25, 1888. She married a William Joseph Patterson, Director of Stores, Mechanical Department, Public Works in Cairo.

The Della Torre's seem to have been staunch Catholics. However, there seems to also have been a half brother to my grandfather whose name was Vittorio Nacamuli, a foremost physician in Cairo and of the Jewish faith. He died in Venice in 1926.

I have photos of both Leone Della Torre and Vittorio Nacamuli.

If anyone can assist, I would be very greatful.

God Bless
Juanita
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Essgee »

Not sure if this applies.

There was a physician named Vittorio Nacamuli who came and went to the US during a period of about 20 years. He is listed as born in Padova, his mother's name being Guiliana...

He was in NY, Chicago, in transet to Milan, to Mexico City, etc. There is a listing for him in the 1920 census living in Denver, and there is a listing in the Denver City and Couty Probates from 1865-1965 that includes an entery for a Mario Nacamuli...and then states #22642, Vittorio, name change. The listings at Ellis Island are under the names Vittorio, Victor and Mario.

I know this doesn't help with the Count, but I though it might help with something else.

Good Luck..............
JUANITA

Post by JUANITA »

[align=justify]Essgee

First, let me apologize for the long delay in replying to your message. I happened upon computer problems.

You are indeed bang on as far as the Nacamuli's. I had almost forgotten about Uncle Mario! Dad used to tell me about him and his permanent suite at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. I have no photo of him, only Uncle Victor (Vittorio).

I can still only surmise that both Vittorio and Mario were half-brother's to my great-grandfather Leone Della Torre. I believe that when Count della Torre died, his wife Contessa Giulia remarried a Nacamuli.

Since reading your post, I came across the web-site www.ellisisland.org and found the ships' manifests. The only one that seems to be mismatched is Victor Nacamuli..........it shows a completely different person as a link. I have sent them an e-mail and am awaiting a reply.

Would you mind telling me the link for the information you found regarding the name change?

I believe I have found Leone Della Torre's place of burial. I was somewhat surprised but cannot trace the text of the cached info. It seems my staunch Catholic great grandfather was buried in a Jewish cemetary and the best I can figure out is that his half-brother Victor Nacamuli (Jewish) must have been in Egypt at the time and arranged it. Seems odd to me but maybe not?

I typed "della torre alexandria egypt" in Google and this came up:

PDF] Books on Jewish Cemeteries of Sephardic Communities
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
... Alexandria, Egypt, 1938. 140p. (Italian) [ The inscriptions of the old Jewish
cemetery in ... Torre (della), L. Iscrizioni sepolcrali. Padova, 1870. ...
www.sephardicstudies.org/cem-israel-bib.pdf - Similar pages

Are there any sources in Padova as far as birth records and do you have any suggestions where to proceed from this point?

Thank you so much for your assistance. It is a difficult to trace with the web of Catholic, Protestant and Jewish faiths.

God Bless
Juanita[/align]
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JUANITA wrote:Hello

I am trying to find any information on a Count Leone Della Torre of Venezia.

He would have been my great-great grandfather and as far as I can remember being told, he was married to a woman of "Germanic" background.

His son, my grandfather Leone Della Torre was known to have been one of the foremost merchandisers in Cairo and an art dealer as well as an outfitter of the palaces in Cairo.

My grandfather had six daughters, one being my grandmother Beatrice Eugenia Della Torre who was born in Cairo, September 25, 1888. She married a William Joseph Patterson, Director of Stores, Mechanical Department, Public Works in Cairo.

The Della Torre's seem to have been staunch Catholics. However, there seems to also have been a half brother to my grandfather whose name was Vittorio Nacamuli, a foremost physician in Cairo and of the Jewish faith. He died in Venice in 1926.

I have photos of both Leone Della Torre and Vittorio Nacamuli.

If anyone can assist, I would be very greatful.

God Bless
Juanita
Hi Juanita:
are the noble Della Torre family in Villalta di Fagagna common in Friuli Venezia Giulia region from 1317; The Della Torre family, previously was in Valvassina (around 1100), and after in Milano( around 1250), and from Milano came in Villalta.
Around 1600 the Della Torre family was in Villalta and in Gorizia; withvarious stories the Della Torre family have the Villalta castle untill 1905... hoping helpful for you.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JUANITA

Post by JUANITA »

Many thanks Suanj

Do you have any idea who the last Della Torre was to have the castle and why it was transferred to someone else?

I am hoping any information may lead to a connection to Giulia Della Torre marrying a Nacamuli about that time, possible after the death of Count Della Torre.

Also, is the castle you mention the one I find on this site under photo gallery when I search "Villalta castle"?

Ciao
Juanita
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JUANITA wrote:Many thanks Suanj

Do you have any idea who the last Della Torre was to have the castle and why it was transferred to someone else?

I am hoping any information may lead to a connection to Giulia Della Torre marrying a Nacamuli about that time, possible after the death of Count Della Torre.

Also, is the castle you mention the one I find on this site under photo gallery when I search "Villalta castle"?

Ciao
Juanita
Hi:
Della Torre story:
-the Della Torre family was an great family with various branches many in north Italy (Milano, MENDRISIO /currently in Switzerland, Villalta, Verona, Rezzonico/Como) and with various castles obviously... and some other in foreign country...

-this various branches in the life, living in various towns and in various castles; currently are the Della Torre family living in Italy:
S.A. Principe Carlo Alessandro della Torre Tasso son of Principe Raimondo della Torre Tasso in Duino/ Trieste http://www.onenet.it/TS/Castelli/Triest ... Duino.html

-an branche of Della Torre family living in Venezia town (in Villalta/ Friuli Venezia Giulia probable same family branche)... but ALL DELLA TORRE are descendants of Della Torre from Valvassina and after Milano, as I already say you.
- the Mendrisio branche http://www.fondazionedellatorre.com/Ted/t-Torriani.htm ( the Della Torre also are knowed as Torriani family)..

- here are an Della Torre genealogy tree
http://www.sardimpex.com/della%20Torre/dellatorre2.htm
but no complete, why are only the descendants with properties of family, in fact clearly are written that someone of descendants is no mentioned.... also are the Venezia town and Padova branche.....

-but, better, HERE ARE ALL BRANCHES : http://www.sardimpex.com/anteprime/ante ... atorre.htm

No Leone found.

For better search about LEONE DELLA TORRE you can :
-write in Milano common about some search
-ditto in Venezia and in Mestre (Venezia 's hamlet)
-ditto in Padova
-ditto in Mexico City

why are some link about this surnames (Nacamuli and Della Torre) and birthplace , so is possible that are some connection....:

1- Marius (Mario) Nacamuli probable same at abowe message reply http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0415%2ETIF

2-and another travel
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 0094110033

3-and VICTOR :wink: phisycian, from MILANO and Mexico City (sant Augustin, 60 address) but been born in Padova, please see(I have correct the link)

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1033130196

he mentioned Julia mother, surname.. .. Johannus or Johanus, or Joannis (the Joannis was in Verona area) so is most probable that is he...

4-but in Mexico city was also an Della Torre don (noble title) Isidoro http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0801%2ETIF

5-After all first little search, I have another strange trace:
an Della Torre family born in Mestre (Venezia) and CAIRO http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0414070146

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JUANITA

Post by JUANITA »

Hello Suanj

Many thanks for your information. The link shown for Victor is the same as Mario. Found Victor but the ship manifest linked to file shows someone else.

When searching Google for Della Torre, a Stefano Levi Della Torre keeps coming up. I found a photo of him and he looks very much like my father, it is almost eerie!

I thought there may be some connection there, however, I cannot find any e-mail link for him. I find that somewhat strange as he is a writer. Another thing is that from what I can ascertain, he is of the Jewish faith and I do not know what to make of this?

The link that I found him on is:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h ... en%26lr%3D

Would you or anyone be able to give me a contact e-mail address for him as I would like to send the information I have along with some photos of the Della Torres.

Be well and God bless.

Juanita
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi this Della Torre is born in Torino and living in Milano ; is an painter and writer, also Architecture prof in Politecnico University in Milano....no mail, no address on line; personally I think that you can write to "sinagoga( jew church)" of Milano.. here are the email http://www.ucei.it/comunita/comunitaMilano.asp .. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JUANITA

Post by JUANITA »

Hello Suanj

Thank you again!

I will try the e-mail address you give and we will see what happens!

Ciao

Juanita
JUANITA

Re: CONTE LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by JUANITA »

Hello All

I have found a Leone Vitale Della Torre at:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:B8 ... orre&hl=en

that states:

Among these distant ancestors were the Della Torres (more correctly the Vitale Della Torres), who came from the aristocratic communities of Alessandria and Chieri. They were related through Levi's maternal line, which he did not know. He compared them to the noble and rare gas Argon (the Inactive) because, as they were isolated and few in number -- like this gas, which is present in tiny amounts in the atmosphere and does not combine with its other component gases -- the Jews of Piedmont's rural communities did not merge into Italian society. Notable Della Torres include Natale Della Torre, who in 1881 published a popular newspaper, La Miseria, the writer Carlo Levi and the historian Giovanni Levi.

and further down (spelling error for Della Torre, spelled as Della Torte)

Adelina, Ester's mother and Primo's grandmother, was the daughter of Salomone Della Torte and Ester Sacerdote. Salomone Della Torre had six brothers. He was the son of Leone Vitale Della Torte, from Alessandria, and "Aunt" Milca, the one whose goya maid her son Barbabramin fell in love with and married after his parents' death. He himself died in 1883.

The text makes reference to Leone Vitale Della Torre and was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on this. Also, I have not been able to find any other web sites that have any information on him.

I have managed to with the (assistance of a relative) get a copy of an advertising leaflet from the War Memorial Museum in Canberra, Australia that refers to L Della Torre (my great-grandfather) that shows him to be: Sole Auctioneer, Sworn Expert, Auctioneer to the British Force in Egypt and the Ministry of Finance and Egyptian Government, Egyptian Police, Prisons Dpt., Health Dpt, Egyptian State Railways and Tribunals, etc., etc.

Now, if I could only find his father, Conte Della Torre.

Also, with the assistance of a helpful person at Ellis Island, I have been able to retrieve the ship manifest of Vittorio Nacamuli (half-brother to Leone Della Torre) that lists his mother as Madame Julia/Giulia Nacamuli living at, I believe, Via B Barbarigo, Padova, Italy.

Thanks and God bless.
Juanita
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

This looks interesting...not your Nacamuli I think, but from Egypt and named Victor.

http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi ... 135&id=I93

:) Jim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Juanita, please ask an
1-"copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di NACAMULI VITTORIO nato a Padova il........." ask an just copy of birthact about Victor Nacamuli born in Padova the ...(birthdate or birthyear) in the Archivio di Stato di Padova.

2-Well in this photocopy sure are just mother surname and also th age, so back you can know the probable birthyear of Giulia (hoping born also Giulia in Padova).

3-after this steps you can request the birthact search of Giulia and on birthact are the marriage/s notations, and ask also the marriage acts of Giulia... so you can know the infos you need...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

suanj wrote:
he mentioned Julia mother, surname.. .. Johannus or Johanus, or Joannis (the Joannis was in Verona area) so is most probable that is he...

If you notice on that Manifest Suanj..it staes Julia is living in Mexico City. I wonder if Julia ever came to the United States....
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Juanita:
I read on an ship's manifest of Marius Nacamuli that is mentioned" joining from cousin D.o (Domenico) Coenbagh".
Most probable that Coenbagh is mistaken and can be COEN/COHEN + BACH; infact in Venezia and also in Venezia area are the Coen and the Bach italian persons living...and also in Padova are an Bach... your suggestions about this surname..?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JUANITA

Post by JUANITA »

Hello All

Thanks for the input.

First off, I checked the Julia Johannus or Johanus, or Joannis from Mexico as was mentioned. I found one on Ellis Island site but did not copy it and cannot find it again. I am still trying. The thing about the one that I found, was that it stated her age as 39 and that would make it impossible for her to be Vittorio's mother.

Secondly, I saw the reference to Do Coenbagh and that does not ring any bells. It is possible that it was a cousin to either mother Giulia or father Nacamuli but until I find out who they were I won't be able to go further down the line. Do you think it may be that Do could be Dr., a short form of doctor? Were there any Dr. Coenbaghs in Padova around that time that anyone knows of?

Thirdly, I came across another reference on a manifest for Mario. He refers to Prof. F. Sarcinelli, Via Casalli, Rioframio, Padova. Would he have been a professor at the University of Padova?

Fourthly, I had completely forgotten about my grandfather's third half-brother and it wasn't until I sat back and closed my eyes that I could hear my father's voice in my head, rhyming off the names. Vittorio, Marco and Mario.

I have not found Marco anywhere on the manifests. I think he must have stayed in Egypt.

Now for the last item I have found. I thought, in my ignorance that it was a pillbox. The box measures 2cm x 3.5cm and the writing on the front says, "Stabilimento Stefano Johnson Milano Corso Porta Nuova, 15. I have searched them out on the web and apparently they are a medal making company and have been at various addresses. However, they do not state the various addresses. Would anyone know the date that they were at the address I have listed or anything more about the company?

That is all I have for now and I am keeping at it! It has proven to be quite the undertaking!

Be well and God bless
Juanita