translated italian military records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

translated italian military records

Post by roobyred »

I am in possession of my grandfathers translated military records. They mention circular letters (ie. circular letter 370 G.M. of 1915 & 394 G.M. 1916) that I would like to obtain copies of. Is anyone familiar with these? Does Ancestry.com have these tucked away in some obscure file that I am not aware of?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Grazie,
Roberta
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: translated italian military records

Post by ricbru »

Those circular letters are kept at Archivio Centrale dello Stato Roma. www.acs.beniculturali.it

Write an email only in italian to request those documents

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Thanks so much Riccardo!
I hope I am successful.
Roberta
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Hi Riccardo,
My grandfather's military records show he was a POW in Austria
16 nov 1917 until 8 nov 1918. Is there any way I can find out where?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Rome Central State Archive keeps 80 books with tons of names of italian soldiers who were POW of Austria during WW1.
But since those names were not put on line either on database, and since all those names are not put on an alphabetical way, so the only way to get it is to go to personally to Rome Central State Archive, and go look page by page. Or you can involve International Red Cross, and the research has a cost of about € 170 euros to be paid to International Red Cross.
Also Archive of Vatican city may have some infos, probably you may find informations there.
Also a a goos italian web site about WW1 is the following

http://www.cimeetrincee.it/

I also have an uncle of my dad who was POW during WW1, but I cant know where he was imprisoned.
Maybe you can scan me the complete document, so I try to understand to what regiment your grandfather belonged to, and probably where he fought, he was imprisoned after the end of the 12th battle on the Isonzo river, when the town of Caporetto was almost got.
I hope it helps, and let me know
bye Riccardo
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Hi Riccardo,
I would LOVE to personally go to Rome but it's not in my budget at the moment. I will keep that in mind...
I will check out that italian website that you mentioned but meanwhile, I have attached a scanned copy of the military document.
Any information you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.
Grazie!!
Roberta
Attachments
scan of Nicola Mancini
scan of Nicola Mancini
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Roberta,
he belonged to 93rd Infantry Regiment (Messina brigade) and when he was imprisoned he was located in Treviso area, check page 238 in the link below

http://www.cimeetrincee.it/messina.pdf

So he was imprisoned in Austria for sure, but now maybe you can contact Wien State Archive, and maybe they can tell you where were located the prisoners camps during WW1.
I hope it helps so far
bye Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Roberta, sorry, I didnt read the military record properly. Sabino is right, he belonged to the Toscana brigade, and on those days your ancestor was close to Longara mountain, around the municipality of Gallio, in Vicenza area. During those days 300 soldiers became POW
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo