Looking for Information about Daniel Champ

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
misschristi16
Master
Master

Looking for Information about Daniel Champ

Post by misschristi16 »

Good morning everyone.

I am looking for information on my great grandfather Daniel Champ (Donato Ciamp) from what I know, Rapone Italy.

He was born July 9, 1868. I just received confirmation of his naturalization in 1915. He was married to Teresa Pinto, and when they came to America, they had 3 children (born in Italy): Nicholas Daniel (Nico), Margaret, and Peter Dominick.

I am just getting started on my grandmothers family, since I am stumped on my grandfathers side, and thought I would see if anyone could help me find out some information to go on.

I would appreciate it. Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Information about Daniel Champ

Post by adelfio »

I see that the Famiy History Library has record of the town of Rapone
only for Registro dello stato civile di Rapone (Potenza), 1809-1860 have you contacted Rapone to see if there are other records available for 1860-1900's and if they dont have them where you can get them.
Also i think that the name Ciamp is probally spelled Ciampa in Rapone
Did they settle in Hartford area?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

They did settle in the Hartford Area. The name has so many different spellings--and I do believe it is Ciampa in Rapone. It is listed as Champ on his naturalization papers.

Also, I ordered the copy of his naturalization hoping it would verify his hometown of Rapone. But, I have one question--he was naturalized the same time as his wife and children. Do I need to order copies of his wifes also? Would it give me different information or will it state all that I am looking for on his records?

I have her maiden name as Teresa Pinto--but cannot find information about her either. Once it goes overseas, I have a hard time.

I sent away for copies of my grandfathers birth records, along with his brothers on the Palmieri side, and never heard back anything except one birth record --for my grandfather. The others I sent for, one--Orazio, I even had an exact birth date for reference--just nothing from Italy.

So, I was hoping to find out all I could on the America side first. Then, send away for records in Italy.

Is there an easier way to find information from Italy?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a yrip of Donato Ciampa from Rapone( last residence), already in USA from 1891-1893 joining at brother Giovanni in Hartford, CT:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Donato Ciampia Name: Donato Ciampia
Arrival Date: 20 Dec 1900
Birth Year: abt 1868
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Furst Bismarck

maybe helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible manifest for Donato Ciampa's parents, Vito and Margherita Pinto. Lines 3 and 4. From census records, there appear to have been two Donato Ciampa's living in Hartford. One married to Teresa; the other to Rosa. So this manifest could be for either's parents.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

Thanks!
The manifest for Donato Ciampas parents is interesting, as they had a daughter named Margherita (margeret Ciamp). If it goes by the traditional italian naming traditions, They had a son (1st born) named Nicholas, and then a daughter named Margherita (1st daughter.). The next son was named Peter, 2nd daughter Mary. So, Nico and Margherita Ciampa could very well be the names of Donatos parents. Nico--Vito? Any correlation?

Peter and Mary could be the Pinto family. Just curious--as I still get confused on the naming thing--Why would it list Margerita as a Pinto/wife in the manifest? Why would it not be ciampa?

Thanks for all the help--I truly appreciate it.
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

Another thing I was wondering--I know that Donato, Teresa, Nicolas, Margaret, and Peter were all born in Italy. They came over as a family. I dont know if anyone can find them as a family traveling from Italy. They census states that they all came to america in 1900. But, maybe they were here before then? I know census dates are rough and sometimes off a few years.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Italian women retained their maiden names on legal documents.

Also found this manifest for Teresa (Maria Teresa) and children. Lines 18 and following.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible 1897 manifest for Donato Ciampa. Last residence Rapone. Based on age the approximate year of birth is correct. Line 27. Joining cousin Nicola Ricciardi in K(C)anda.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027

Biff
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

I want to thank everyone for helping me find information. I am also wanting to get advice on writing a letter to the commune of Rapone for my great grandfathers birth record.

I am sending that letter tomorrow, and used an Italian genealogy website to translate for me and tell me what to print. What I am wondering, is since I know the whole family resided there before coming to America, and that is where he was born, would it be a good thing for me to send multiple requests in one envelope? Or, should I request them all separately.

I wanted to request Donato's birth and marriage record. Do you think if I do this, it will be answered, or should I do one at a time.

I have sent quite a few letters off to Italy for my grandfathers records--and did them all separately, and only one has ever come back to me. Even when I knew exact dates--I still only ever received the first one I ever sent away for.

Looking for a bit of advice on how to go about getting the records I need. Thanks for your help--I truly appreciate it.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

misschristi16 wrote:I wanted to request Donato's birth and marriage record. Do you think if I do this, it will be answered, or should I do one at a time.

I have sent quite a few letters off to Italy for my grandfathers records--and did them all separately, and only one has ever come back to me. Even when I knew exact dates--I still only ever received the first one I ever sent away for.

Looking for a bit of advice on how to go about getting the records I need. Thanks for your help--I truly appreciate it.
Since you have his birth date, I would request both his birth and marriage records. Make sure to request integral copies of the documents not extracts since the integral copies contain a wealth of additional information.

Biff
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

I did not know I could request different types of documents. How do I request an integral copy?

I use this letter from this website: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Is there a better one I should send?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres a good site for info on writing a letter to Italy for records
click on prompt
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty