Jewelery Store in Palermo mid to late 1800's?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jamesy1

Jewelery Store in Palermo mid to late 1800's?

Post by jamesy1 »

I am trying to find a jewelry store that my great great grandfather owned in Palermo during the mid to late 1800's. His name was Guiseppe Papadopoli or could be Paparopoli. Some places show either one of these names. My aunt who is now 93 says her mother, my great grandmother used to tell her that her father owned one of the biggest jewelry stores in Palermo. Her mother emigrated to US in 1903 to avoid an arranged marriage. Her name was Giovanna Emanuele Papadopoli or Paparopoli. Any suggestions on where I could go about trying to find information on this jewelery store?
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Jewelery Store in Palermo mid to late 1800's?

Post by pink67 »

I believe the correct lastname was Paparopoli...
These are interesting records for you from the site Ancestry.com :

Palermo, Matrimoni in Italia, 1820-1895
Palermo, Italy, Marriages, 1820-1895

Name: Giuseppo Paparopoli
Spouse: Isabella Emmanude
Marriage Date: 14 lug 1870 (14 Jul 1870)
Marriage Place: Citta, Palermo
Father Name: Francesco Paparopoli
Mother Name: Annunziata Lucci
Volume: 19
Number: 73

marriages for Giuseppe's sisters:

marriage in the same date:

Name: Adelaide Paparopoli
Spouse: Giuseppe Ulhrich
Marriage Date: 14 lug 1870 (14 Jul 1870)
Volume: 19
Number: 574

Name: Giovanna Paparopoli
Spouse: Genuaro Vitu
Marriage Date: 29 apr 1867

these are the marriage dates for Giovanna (Giuseppe's daughter) form the site Familysearch.org:

New York Marriages, 1686-1980

Groom's Name: Francesco Deluca
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Giovanna Paparopoli
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 06 Jun 1904
Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, New York
Groom's Father's Name: Giuseppe
Groom's Mother's Name: Maria Demena
Bride's Father's Name: Giuseppe
Bride's Mother's Name: Isabella Emanneli

Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00054-4
System Origin: New_York-ODM
Source Film Number: 1556692
Reference Number:

I found just a little reference on Googlebooks about Giuseppe Paparopoli as jeweler

http://books.google.it/books?id=k2QpAAA ... li&f=false

Laura
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

I have family tree on ancestry with a lot of that information on it but thank you so much for looking for me. The reference to the google book was great! Is the information on that the address of where they were located in Palermo? I don't know how long they have the jewelers after my ggrandmother left but would love to get a picture of the building for my aunt!
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

when I read the excerpt from the book about Palermo it showed Paparopoli via degli orefici. Is that the street address? Trying to find a map that will show me where it was and maybe a picture of the building.
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

Just thought of this, is there anything like a City Directory of businesses or something for late 1800's early 1900's for the City of Palermo? I don't know if that is something they had or not. Maybe someone else would know?
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi ,
i have 2 city directories dated 1870 and 1890 but i can't find the street you are looking for. I never heard 'via degli orefici' but in the city of Palermo is still an ancient and famous street called "Via Argenteria" (argenteria=silverware). in that street there were the shops of goldsmiths and jewelers. Maybe people usually called that street as "orefici" (goldsmith).

kind regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

Thanks for the reply. Does your city directory list businesses in Palermo at the time? Could you check on Papadopoli or Paparopoli Jewlery?
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
unfortunately city directory don't include business.i'm searching in old books that tell the story of Palermo if i can find something about your relative. I think the surname is Paparopoli . We have people with this surname in Palermo provice.

regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

Thank you for checking for me. I have no other sources I can think of to find out this information.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
i can't find the Paparopoli Jewelery store but i found in an old book that there was 29 jewelery store in "Via Argenteria". I found a picture in that book and i uploaded it:
try this is link
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8466 ... nteria.jpg
or this
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... teria.jpg/
Now "via argenteria" is in very poor condition, take a look :
http://img.fotocommunity.com/images/Sog ... 080580.jpg

the last century there was hundreds stores now only abandoned houses and buildings.

kind regards
jamesy1

Post by jamesy1 »

Thank you for those pictures! I appreciate you taking the time to look for this for me. It looks as though a lot of businesses were in that street and as you say maybe they just called it goldsmith because of it being jewelers. Thanks again!
leftynomor

Post by leftynomor »

Anyone out there that. An help me with my grandfather, Vincenzo Papadopoli (Paparopoli)? He married Caterina Castro, also from Palermo.