Help with Translation of Marriage/Adoption Doc.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Elpinoine

Help with Translation of Marriage/Adoption Doc.

Post by Elpinoine »

I'm trying to translate two documents about my great grandfather, Michele Dogali, using Google translate, and have been having a few questions. I was hoping to find a bit of help from someone more familiar with Italian.

My great grandfather was born in Marcianaise Italy back in 1887, and married my great grandmother there before immigrating to the US in 1915. He had been adopted, but had always told his family that Dogali was his birth name.

Back in 1977 one of his daughters went on a trip to Italy and was able to stop in Marcianaise. She tried to get copies of family records, but she arrived too late and was only able to hand copy two of the documents that she said were her father's marriage and adoption records. While my aunt was able to speak Italian, she isn't really able to read and write it.

I've tried to use Google translate on the documents, but I still am a bit confused by them. Both documents seem to me to be marriage documents. Any help with better translations would be much appreciated.

The first document that my aunt had noted as a marriage record reads:

Municipio della Citta di Marcianise
Provincia di Caserta
Dogali Michele nato a Marcianise (CE): 16
Giugno 1887 - atto no 5 Parte 2
Affidato ad Acconcia Girolama Moglie di Caroprese Pasquale
Coniugato il 12 Marzo 1911 atto no 20 a Marcianise con Perrella Maria Giuseppa

Church - Nia Atello
City - Caserta Palazzo Reale

The second document (noted as his adoption record) says:

Comune Di Marcianise
Provincia Di Caserta
Estratto Per Riassunto Atti Di Nascita
Io Sottascritto Ufficiale dello Stato Ciuile del Comune di Marcianise, certifico che dal registro degli atti di Nascita dell'anno mille 887 serie A Volume I Parte II N.5 risulta che nel giorno sei del mese di giugno millo ottocentottantasette e' nat in Marcianise
Dogali Michele

Coniugato in Marcianise con Perrella Maria Giuseppa il 12 Marzo 1911 xxx ato no. 20
Si rilascia ai sensi dell'art 3 del D.P.R. 2 Maggio 1957, N. 432
Marcianise, li 3 Ottobre 1977

If my translating skills are right, it seems like she may have reversed the two documents, but both seem to be marriage documents. Could Girolama Acconcia and Pasquale Caroprese be his adopted parents? I took the tranlation to mean that they were entrusted with something. This would go against an envelope that she had shown me that was supposedly from his step brother. It read -

Mittente: Mezzacapo Arcangelo Via Crescenzo Grillo no. 28
Italia Marcianise (Caserta)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My great grandfather never really spoke of his past in Italy. My mom says she always remembers him talking about arriving in the US on Christmas Eve. When my aunt had returned to Marcianise for that visit, he had told her that he would disown her if she poked around in his past. My aunt did say that there was a statue of a man that looked just like her father in a public area with the same last name as him. They had wanted to ask someone about the statue, but it was a Sunday and there was no one around.
Researching surnames Dogali, Vertucci, Perrella and DiGennaro
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help with Translation of Marriage/Adoption Doc.

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website
Why dont you post those documents on here a so we can see them. You can can use a photo site like postimage.org to upload them to a post or message reply on there its free and you dont have to join to log in.
upload your record to postimage it will leave as a url on the postimage site copy the url with your right mouse button and paste it with your right mouse to your message it will leave a link too your records you uploaded

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Elpinoine

Post by Elpinoine »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm finding all kinds of great information so far.

Unfortunately I don't have the documents, no one in the family does. I only have a copy of the notes that my great aunt had handwritten back in 1977. She had arrived at the office too late to get official copies.

I'm trying to get as much basic information together before sending a request out to Marcianise for more official documents. Since my great grandfather was adopted, I know that chances are likely that I might not be able to find out much.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Both documents are extracts from the original birth record, that you can find at Ancestry.com here:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7414/dogali.jpg

Michele Dogali was a foundling and the name was invented by the Civil State Official, he was temporarily given to a wet nurse, Girolama Acconcia wife of Pasquale Caroprese.
He was found on the 6th of June.

There's nothing about his adoption and the side annotation states that Michele married Maria Giuseppa Perella on March 12 1911
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I was hoping to find his marriage record but the collection in ancestry ends with 1910
Elpinoine

Post by Elpinoine »

Thanks for the help. I was trying to search today on Ancestry and wasn't finding anything for him. (I couldn't seem to find my great grandmother either. No luck today I guess.)

On his death certificate, I have the names Giovanni Dogali and wife Anna as his parents. I'm curious now as to where he came by those names.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Could you post his death certificate?

I found his birth record by browsing the images of Marcianise
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You can get the microfilms from Family History Library for civil records of Marcianise (Caserta), 1809-1929
they have the Allegati (matrimoni) 1911 which would give you info on the marriage and the birth records of both and sometimes more,death records of family and other records.
Ordering films from FHL(Family History Library)
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... ory_Center
FHL LOCATOR
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Info on Italian records
https://www.familysearch.org/learningce ... 22Italy%22
Films available
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Marcianis++
This what I would do before writing to Italy for records you can first get your info here in the US.

Supporting documents [processetti or allegati]. These documents were often filed by the bride and groom in support of their intent or "solemn promise" to marry. Records proving their births and their parents’ births and deaths and sometimes documentation on earlier generations may be included. The names of former spouses and their death dates are also provided.(from familysearch.org)

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Elpinoine

Post by Elpinoine »

Liviomoreno,
Sorry about the delay in posting this, but I had no scanner access over the weekend to scan a copy of my great grandfather's death certificate.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z126 ... idcert.jpg

He died in the United States in 1977, his wife had died much earlier back in the 1950's. I was talking with my mother over the weekend about what I found out in the birth record. She was telling me that she thought that he had been adopted by an aunt. I have no idea if this is true, but if he had been one of those foundlings "adopted" by a member of their own family it would explain he would have known the name of his parents even though they don't show up on the birth record.

I'm hoping to get a chance to travel and see my grandmother this winter. She's 95 and has Dementia, but usually she remembers nearly everything from the past. I'm hoping she can shine a little bit of light on it.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There are six people with the surname Dogali in Marcianise today. It would be very unusual to give a surname to a foundling that existed already in the village or town. Of course those living there today could have come from another town.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Elpinoine

Post by Elpinoine »

Italysearcher wrote:There are six people with the surname Dogali in Marcianise today. It would be very unusual to give a surname to a foundling that existed already in the village or town. Of course those living there today could have come from another town.
I'm accepting at this point I may never know the real truth about my great grandfather. I was talking with my mother about what I had found out and she was surprised. She said she thought that the woman who raised him was really his aunt. We do know that no matter what he remained very close to the family who raised him. He named several of his children after his "brothers and sisters" and kept in touch with them even after the move to the US. He eventually even got to return to visit them. That's all that really matters. They were a family to him.
CarlaGrillo39
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CarlaGrillo39 »

Elpinoine wrote:I'm trying to translate two documents about my great grandfather, Michele Dogali, using Google translate, and have been having a few questions. I was hoping to find a bit of help from someone more familiar with Italian.

My great grandfather was born in Marcianaise Italy back in 1887, and married my great grandmother there before immigrating to the US in 1915. He had been adopted, but had always told his family that Dogali was his birth name.
Hi there,
I've recently discovered that my 4x great grand uncle, Giuseppe Castellano, was killed in a battle called the Battle of Dogali or Massacre of Dogali. This battle took place on January 26th 1887 in Dogali, Ethiopia. It seems likely then that your great grandfather may have been given the surname Dogali in light of this massacre. I'm not sure if this answers any of your questions but I thought it was quite interesting nonetheless.
Regards,
Carla Grillo
Pizzirusso, Compitiello, Rafaniello, Ferrantino, Cona, and Sterbinetto families. All from Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Avellino.