Looking for Help to Obtain Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donvito357

Looking for Help to Obtain Info

Post by donvito357 »

In 2001 I visited the town of Motta Santa Lucia to obtain information on my grandmother, Brigida Maggi, who was born October 15, 1883 in Motta Santa Lucia.

When we went to obtain a copy of her birth certificate we were informed that she was abandonded at birth and was given a birth date and last name by the Mayor of the town.

We attempted to find who the foster family was and would you believe, 118 years later they still would not release the name.

We found that she immigrated to the united states in December 1901 and according to Ellis Island records she was met by her foster brother, ? Gigliotti.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might find information regarding the foster family. The officials at the Motta Santa Lucia city hall will not release that information.

donvito357
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for Help to Obtain Info

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

The Mormon church does have microfilm for civil records for Motta Santa Lucia. Unfortunately, they only cover the years 1809-1861.

http://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Library ... ato+civile++

The Mormons are continually adding microfilm to their library though so check their website as time goes by. They just added two new films to my grandmother's hometown in the last few months, and it is in the same province as Motta Santa Lucia.

The only other suggestion that I have is that we could search the census records for Gigliotti names if you can provide us with the name of the town.
Donna Pellegrin
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Donna:

I would assume the Gigliotti family also came from Motta Santa Luckia.

Thanks for your reply.

donvito357
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Donvito357,
If her foster brother, one Mr. Gigliotti, met her in the United States, we can assume he resided here in the US. We can look for him in the 1910, 1920, 1930 census if you tell us the name of the town in the US. I realize that this is not the information that you are looking for, however, it might lead you to the information that you are looking for.
Donna Pellegrin
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Donna:

The Ellis Island record for Brigida Maggi indicate she arrived 3 Dec 1901 aboard the Calabria. On the manifest it indicates she was met by her "foster brother" by a man who we cannot figure out the first name but the last name is Gigliotti. It appears they were going to Morrisdate, Pennsylvania. Shortly thereafter she moved to Windber, Pa.

It may be the only key to find the name of the foster family is at the Motta Sants Lucia City Hall. It appears this is info they will never part with.

Your interest is most appreciated.

My real name is Sam.

Thanks again.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sam,

Hopefully Suanj have some advice for you. I understand the town protecting any information they had on the birth parent, but why withhold the name of the "foster" family. Perhaps a letter to the mayor would help.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Just re-read your post. My ancestors also ended up in Windber, PA. Worked in the coal mines in Arrow, just outside of town.

There is an Italian Catholic church there - St. Anthony's. They have been very helpful in providing some marriage and baptism records from about 1915. Records were in Italian and I sent a donation to cover copying and searching. That might be an option to consider.

Debbie
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

The name of the brother listed on Brigida Maggi's manifest appears to be Saverio Gigliotti. (Although I'd appreciate a second set of eyes to look at it. VaDeb are you still up?) Now...we find his manifest or a census record which tells his age...and you can write to Motta Santa Lucia for his birth record. Once you know his parent's name, you can write back for the stato di famiglia certificate. If this lists a Brigida, you have your foster family.
Donna Pellegrin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is the manifest to view: line 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2824050803

Could brother be Saverio?

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Guess Donna and I agree on the name. (Didn't see your post, first) Donna has presented a good plan for you to follow. I will see what I can find.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is an interesting manifest:
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 4240060080

Raffaele age 50 and son Saverio age 27, from Motta. Looks like going to NY. Arrived July 1, 1900.

Debbie
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Yes, that is a very interesting manifest. Good work, Deb. Although the final destination is listed as New York, the two are being met by a brother from Pa. Also notice that Saverio (indexed as Sancio, for heavens sake) was in the US from 1896 to 1899, which means there is another manifest to find.

My guess is that if Sam were to write to Motta Santa Lucia ( a tiny little town) for the birth record for one Saverio Gigliotti born circa 1872-1874 as well as the the stato di famiglia certificate for one Raffaele Gigliotti born circa 1849-1851, he would be well on his way to finding Brigida Maggi's foster family - with or without the government's approval.
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Sam:
about Brigida;
the adoptive family most probable, is not an real adoptive family, but only an family that it has raised... otherwhise Brigida it would have been called Brigida Gigliotti.. so being in ship's manifest Brigida Maggi, she was not legal adopted.
I know that this abandoned childs they were entrusted from Common to local families that raised them with payment of Common....

So, for to know more about Brigida birth, you can request in Motta Santa Lucia Common-Ufficio Anagrafe( remember that the Common is not obliged to satisfy this demand and would be only a courtesy action, but please to try) an "Copia Integrale dell'Atto di Nascita di MAGGI Brigida nata il 15 Ottobre 1883 a Motta Santa Lucia "; if the Common send you this photocopy from original birthregistry you can descover the context in which the birth of this child it was recorded in Common; can be that was born in some near Common and abandoned in Motta Santa Lucia, was usual in that age.
More, you can request an birthact of "GIGLIOTTI Saverio( just first name ok Donna!) classe 1873 circa a Motta Santa Lucia " and you descover the Saverio's father and mother... About Stato di Famiglia it is possible that Brigida is listed as "entrusted child" but also is not possible, why in the past the Anagrafe rules was various....

It is most probable that Saverio's mother it has had some own child around Oct 1883, why it would explain this "adoption from Common" in order to nurse Brigida...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Donna, VaDeb, et al

As a side note, my mother was born June 26, 1905 in Johnstown. I have written and called every Catholic Church in Windber and Johnstown to get a copy of her Baptismal Certificate in hopes that the names of her Godparents would help to solve the foster parents question. There is no record of her baptism in any of those churches. The family moved to Steelton, Pa in 1906 and there is not record of her Baptism in any of the local churches.

I will be going to Italy in September and also visiting Motta Santa Lucia. I would appreciate your advise on what I should ask for when I visit the city hall. On my last trip in August 2001 I did obtain a copy of Brigida's birth certificate. At that time I was told she was given a date of birth and a last name by the Mayor.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate all of your help.

Sam