Help identify this Italian Name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
2ndGen

Help identify this Italian Name?

Post by 2ndGen »

Hello,
I have been looking through some passenger manifests for ships trying to trace my ancestors immigration from Sicily to the USA in the very early 1900's. I have a passenger manifest that I think might show my family, but there are names that I just can't seem to make out. I have a few remaining relatives that "might" be close enough relations to remember great uncles and aunties names, if I could make out all the names in this family it would be very helpful to determine if this is the immigration record for my ancestors or not. Lines 9-15 show the Palmisano family, what I can make out is:

Line 9 shows the Father as Pietro Palmisano (50)
Line 11 shows I assume his wife at age 45, name is unidentified, it seems she may have listed her maiden name first and it was scratched out and Palmisano added. I would be interested to find out her maiden name as well.
Line 10 may show Theresa (?) Palmisano (16)
Line 12 shows "Daughter" Vincenza Palmisano (18)
Line 13 shows " " Anna Palmisano (12)
Line 14 shows Son " name unidentified (6)
Line 15 shows " " Francess Palmisano (3)
This is how I interpret what is written on this document. I am open for correction, and am seeking answers to the unidentified names on this list. Any help to identify these names or information about this family would be greatly appreciated. The ship was the SS Canopic, traveled from Naples to Boston on Oct 30 1907.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help identify this Italian Name?

Post by PippoM »

9 Palmisano Pietro
10 Palmisano Eleonora
11 Palmisano Concetta
12 daughter Palmisano Vincenza
13 (daughter Palmisano) Anna
14 son (Palmisano) Cosimo
15(son Palmisano) Francesco
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
2ndGen

Post by 2ndGen »

Thank you so much, that makes sense...
I have traced several branches of my family back to Sicily in the 1850's, mostly through records in the USA listing next of kin of my grandparent in Italy as Fathers name and showing their home towns. I am not having any luck going back further, which would have to be Italian records since these ancestors never left Sicily. I am wondering if you know of any resources online to search Italian records in attempt to find out more about my family that remained in Sicily?
I have always wanted to come and visit, and hope to do so in the future sometime. Since I know the home towns of my ancestors if I were there I could go to the local churches and look for info on my family, online I don't know if there is somewhere I can turn? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

2ndGen wrote:Hello,
I have been looking through some passenger manifests for ships trying to trace my ancestors immigration from Sicily to the USA in the very early 1900's. I have a passenger manifest that I think might show my family, but there are names that I just can't seem to make out. I have a few remaining relatives that "might" be close enough relations to remember great uncles and aunties names, if I could make out all the names in this family it would be very helpful to determine if this is the immigration record for my ancestors or not. Lines 9-15 show the Palmisano family, what I can make out is:

Line 9 shows the Father as Pietro Palmisano (50)
Line 11 shows I assume his wife at age 45, name is unidentified, it seems she may have listed her maiden name first and it was scratched out and Palmisano added. I would be interested to find out her maiden name as well. Maiden name of Concetta is CEFALU, as written on the manifest. Italian women kept, and traveled with, their maiden name. You can see that her brother is listed at the end of the line. He is also the uncle of her children.
Line 10 may show Theresa (?) Palmisano (16)
Line 12 shows "Daughter" Vincenza Palmisano (18)
Line 13 shows " " Anna Palmisano (12)
Line 14 shows Son " name unidentified (6)
Line 15 shows " " Francess Palmisano (3)
This is how I interpret what is written on this document. I am open for correction, and am seeking answers to the unidentified names on this list. Any help to identify these names or information about this family would be greatly appreciated. The ship was the SS Canopic, traveled from Naples to Boston on Oct 30 1907.
Note inserted above :-)

T.
2ndGen

Post by 2ndGen »

Thank you very much for helping with the maiden name. I did notice the relative back in Italy section appeared to reference Brother/Uncle Alfonso Palmisano, Tusa. or at least that is what it appears to me...
Thanks again.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

2ndGen wrote:Thank you very much for helping with the maiden name. I did notice the relative back in Italy section appeared to reference Brother/Uncle Alfonso Palmisano, Tusa. or at least that is what it appears to me...
Thanks again.
The brother you reference above is the brother of her husband. If you look further down you will see that HER brother is FRANCESCO CEFALU of Tusa... :-)

T.