De Vuono family from Aprigliano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: De Vuono family from Aprigliano

Post by Biff83 »

That appears to be his second trip but his wife and children did not follow until 1911 per their manifest; Pietro relocated to Canada sometime between April 1909 when he came to the US a second time and June 1911 when wife Concetta and children arrived.

I've been looking for his mother Rosaria's ship manifest or a census record but no luck thus far. Do you know if Pietro had any siblings? It's likely that there were other relatives in Paterson NJ besides his mother.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
J Devo

Post by J Devo »

Hmm that does not make much sense to me as we know that my grandfather who was born in 1922 was born in New Jersey. Maybe my family history is wrong though and my grandfather was not born in New Jersey? He always said he was though. They moved up here to Canada when he was young.

I do not know if my great grandfather Pietro De Vuono had any siblings. I would love to find out though.
J Devo

Post by J Devo »

So it is seems possible now that my grandfather Anthony was born in Canada and not the US. I do not think he even has a birth certificate.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

J Devo wrote:So it is seems possible now that my grandfather Anthony was born in Canada and not the US. I do not think he even has a birth certificate.
Only way to know for sure is to request a copy of his birth certificate from New Jersey or Canada.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
J Devo

Post by J Devo »

Right thanks Biff!
J Devo

Post by J Devo »

Wow I have not looked at this page in quite some time but it certainly is an important one for my family history. An interesting thing I have noticed in one of the records that Biff supplied to me earlier is that my great grandfather Pietro De Vuono appears to have been able to read and write in Italian. This was in 1923 though quite a while after he had been in North America. On another record though about my great grandfather coming back over to North America for a second time in 1909. From the looks of it on that record it seems to say that he could not read or write. Here are the links below.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3571/devuono19231.jpg

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010

Am I reading these right?
J Devo

Post by J Devo »

Okay I just had a visit with my grandfather and I asked him about my great grandfather and his ability to read and write in Italian. He told me that from what he can remember my great grandfather learned to read and write when he was a child in school back in Italy. He came from a town called Aprigliano in the Cosenza Province of the Calabria region in Italy as is mentioned earlier in this thread. It has me thinking now if all kids there went to school and learned to read and write when they were young or did only families with some wealth or status send their children to school? This would have been in the 1880s and 1890s.